Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Senior User

bryanknie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
1952 F1 Flathead - Rear End Vendor?

I have owed my 52 for 10 years now, and love it as a driver. 12 volts, headers and radial tires with chrome smoothies are the only non stock items which is how I bought it, runs great and has never let me down. I am ready for a rear end swap so I can keep the RPM's lower on the highway as I would drive it more often and on longer trips. I want to keep the origianl flathead drive train so a motor and tranny swap is not an option for me. Additionay if I or a later owner choses, I want this truck to be easily be converted to bone stock over a weekend.

I am assuming no one makes a higher gear set for this rear end?

Is there a vendor out there who can sell a complete rebuilt or new 9 inch replacement unit "complete and ready to go"? I travel and work way to many hours to chase down the parts. However if it ends up being shipped to me via a credit card with all the needed parts, it will end up getting installed one weekend around midnight.

Bryan
Old 09-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Post Fiend

4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all
Look up Randy's Ring and Pinion
They have higher r&p for the Dana 41/44's
1952 Ford F2x2 (Non-Stock Flat 6)
1997 Ford Explorer
Every Thing I've Ever Said Is A Lie
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 AM
Senior User

Thanks! I will. For some reason my assumption was no one made these? With higher gears there is no reason for a rear end swap.

Bryan
Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
Please keep us updated with what you find. I'd like to do this swap to a '50 F-1.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Senior User

Yes they had gears for a Dana 44, which is how mine is marked on the lower right side of the housing. Highest set they had was a 307. Price seemed OK at less than $350.

It is definatly a good option unless my current ratio is close to 307. Now to find time to jack mine up over the weekend, turn my wheels and see what ratio I have. Currently I tach at 3K at 60 mph. Additionally I have not done a gear swap before but can rebuild carbs, brakes etc and am very 'handy". Should I try this myself if I take my time? Are there good step by step instructions and any specialized tools needed? Any one know of a good gear swapper in the Ft Lauderdale area?

Any feedback on if a 307 is to high a ratio for a stock v8 flathed? Currently I have a 4 speed on the floor and 1st gear is very low, ie 0 - 3 mph. I never use 1st gear, just 2 - 4, ie like a 3 speed.

Bryan
Old 09-21-2011, 07:30 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1952, 1952f1, 239, 4speed, 52, cid, end, engine, f1, f1flathead, ford, rear, truck, trucks, v8