1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light bridge harness for OEM to PIAA ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 08:56 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Fog light bridge harness for OEM to PIAA ?

OK, sorry for the confusing subject line....

Does anyone know of some kind of wiring harness adapter/bridge that I could use to hook the OEM fog light wiring harness (the end that used to clip right to the base of the bulb) to a PIAA harness?

I extracted my OEM fog lights today and ordered some new PIAA Xtreme fog lights to replace them. My lazy brain tells me I want to keep my OEM dash switch to operate them and re-use the existing wiring so as to make this as painless as possible upon install. The PIAA's aren't HID or anything that would draw more current than the OEM lights did, so I think I am safe not needing new wiring or a relay here.

Any pointers much appreciated guys! Otherwise, I will splice and dutifully wrap up the graft in tape or such to keep the water and crud out.

Old 04-07-2003, 05:10 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru

OK, seems this harness "vision" that I had is not easy to find (PIAA does not make one either... I asked them), but I do have a deeper question:

Can the OEM wiring handle a 55 watt-per-light draw for my new fogs when I install them, or will I end up needing to run new wires and install the relay PIAA supplies anyways?

haroutd? others?

Thanks for the replies guys....

Old 04-07-2003, 11:42 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember the wattage on the stock fogs, but I can tell you that running a direct route using PIAA's hardware will guarantee that your lights emit maximum lighting. In short, you can get away with using the stock wires, but you might notice a slight difference if you use the kit it came with.

The relays & wires came with the PIAA's, so you're not spending any extra cash on them anyway... might as well put them to use! Yes, I know it's a slight pain in the neck, and it will eat up a little time, but you're only looking at 2-3 hours, and you only have to do it once. I'm a big proponent of going as overkill as possible, so my advise is to use what PIAA gave you. Again, you can probably get away with OEM wires, but I wouldn't do it. If you decide to use the OEM wires, ditch the harness idea & get some of those little crimp-on wire ends (forgot their real name -- it's late, you know). Just remember to wrap a piece of electrical tape around to keep it clean, too. This way it's easy to disconnect everything when you decide to try running the wires the "right" way. Or you can just pick up some heat shrink wire tubing from radio shack instead of taping your splices.

PS -- Ever think of leaving the OEM fogs alone & running the PIAA's in addition to them? The more light the better!

Old 04-08-2003, 08:37 AM
jaxf250
Posting Guru

Originally posted by haroutd

PS -- Ever think of leaving the OEM fogs alone & running the PIAA's in addition to them? The more light the better!
Well, the OEM lights and mounting plates are in a landfill by now, due in large part to my front bumper hitting a somewhat immovable Stratus a couple years ago (gosh those tow hooks punch perfect little rectangles in a plastic bumper!), and I just now got around to checking the damage to the lights and decided to replace them when I saw the extent of the breakage. Testament to Ford: the fogs continued to work even though the bulb mounting base was bent/loose on one light and the other had it's mounting plate sheared in half. The alignment was most likely off, but they still worked fine.

Now, you got me thinking.... maybe I replace the OEM fogs in their low location with some regular (read: more like stock) wattage lights and mount the PIAA 2192's up in the grill, aiming low, like I was planning.

hmmmmmm........

Old 04-08-2003, 08:32 PM
rshober
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, I'm so dissappointed you bit the PIAA bug. Kidding...think the OEM fog lights are 40 or 45 watt. I've been using 65 watt replacements for awhile, and haven't had any problems with the stock wiring, relay, etc. I looked for a factory type harness when I was searching for replacement lights...couldn't find a thing. If you need to cut and splice, look for some heat shrink tubing at any car store or electrical shop. If you strike out, send me your address via private message and I'll send you some. I can get either blue or black. Still serving in A**-Crack-a-Stan...
Bert

Old 04-08-2003, 08:59 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru

Thanks Bert - keep your head down over there!

I think I have some heat shrink tubing... I just need to get some more of those little 3M blue "tap-off" wire thingies lest I go shredding the wires with my insulation strippers.....

Old 04-16-2003, 04:14 PM
cwb
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rshober is right the stocks are 42 watt. Hey shober where did you get 65 watt replacements?Are they much brighter, like enough to notice?

Old 04-16-2003, 04:36 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru

The new PIAA fogs draw 55 watts with a 110 watt effective rating (whatever that means). Anyway, they sure are a lot brighter over stock - I am really happy with them!

I am using the OEM fog wiring, and no problems so far....