6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Latest software reflash??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:18 PM
TomCat-F350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest software reflash??

I have been reading on this forum that it is advised that I have my PCM re-flashed with the latest software updates from Ford. I asked 2 local dealers here and was told it is not necessary and a waste of money. I have a 2005 6.0 that had one recall to reflash to add inductive warm up to the injecters to aid in cold starts and accelleration issues back in 06. When the batteries got change it seemed to revert back to the cold start issue until it got to operating temp so I asked them if i needed to reflash that and they told me it never loses the flashing when batteries are disconnected. It just seems odd that the same issue happened. I checked the FICM via the check discribed in tech section and it had 48vdc with just 10ths of a volt fluctuation while cranking. I guess my question is will the reflash to current software be a waste as they discribed or a good thing. If i have to change the FICM will it start the truck or will i have to tow it to get flashed? Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks

Old 09-14-2011, 02:48 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
The FICM has it's own flash (from what I hear). So, in my humble opinion, a reflash will NOT help your problem with a cold start problem.

Have you gone through the hard start/no start section the the "Tech Folder" at the start of this forum?

Old 09-14-2011, 03:07 PM
TomCat-F350
Freshman User
I have. Thought the reflash to the PCM from the original recall might be needed to heat up the injecters during key on if it was lost from battery change out. I was told that there is no latest software flashes since 05 but they could flash the original perameters but it would be a waste of money. Not sure i believed that so i was curious if it was true or not. I have the recall notice from 06 that said it was necessary to have a re-flash to add the inductive heating to the injecters so that contridicts what they were telling me it appears. I was told by them(no codes run) that it is the bad FICM and it would be about $1000 to change. That prompted me to check the tech section and test it myself. The output volts was 48v during the test(did it twice) so i assumed it to be ok and all is fine if the block warmer is used or it runs to warm up. Only happens once at first start of the day and is fine the rest of the day even if it sets for hours. I find it hard to trust dealers but will take peoples advice if they know of an honest one in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:09 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TomCat-F350
I have a 2005 6.0 that had one recall to reflash to add inductive warm up to the injecters to aid in cold starts and accelleration issues back in 06.
If I had that inductive heating routine, I think I would get the new flash just to get rid of that. It is believed that that inductive heating is damaging FICMs. On an '05 and up you will also get some engine protection strategies to let you know if you have a clogged oil cooler, or an over boosting turbo, or a low voltage injector problem.

I have not had the flash performed, and I am still running the factory flash. But in your situation I think I would get it.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
TomCat-F350
Freshman User
I went to get it done here and was told that there were no update flashes to the software since 05. I heard here that there was and i needed to have it done so I was confused. I guess i need to try another dealer since there are so many in our area. Does anyone know of an additive that actually works for injecter stickage? Not sure that is it but it could not hurt to use it.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
There definitely is a flash. Came out late 2009. Take a look at this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-for-6-0s.html

Now, it is not surprising to me that service writers don't know about this stuff. The dealers basically just know how to hook up the IDS software, and it installs the latest flash. They don't know about numbers or dates. The software just does it. The actual diesel technicians should know a bit more about what the lastest versions do, but they are not required to know much. The best ones will. Anyway, if a service writer tells you there isn't any later flash, he/she just doesn't know and you can add that to the long list of **** they don't know.

WRT additives, the first thing I would recommend is to change your oil and use a 5W/40 full synthetic, like Shell Rotella T-6 for example. If you haven't already, you will see immediate improvement in your morning startups.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I would NOT have the latest reflash put in your truck. The VXCF9 strategy is not a good one. If you do anything you should send your FICM to PHP to have it reflashed to remove the very agressive inductive heating that will kill it if it hasn't already. Worst case is to have the FICM repaired at FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair and then have it flashed by PHP OR get one already done from Swamps.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 PM
TomCat-F350
Freshman User
Thank you for your time and advice. I will have the flash done as it seems to be the best thing to do having not had any since the 06 recall notice. I will also heed you advice on the oil change as well. I am using the rotella 15-40 and will change to the 5w-40 as i heard other places that it does make a difference. Thanks again.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
... I will have the flash done as it seems to be the best thing to do having not had any since the 06 recall notice.
Just be aware, in the interest of full disclosure, that this could lead to you having additional repairs done to the truck. As I said, the new flash will warn you with a CEL if your oil cooler efficiency is poor, or your turbo is dirty and overboosting, or your FICM voltage is low. I think knowing about these issues is better than not knowing. And it is common for someone to get the new flash, then get a CEL, and blame it on the flash. In reality the flash is warning them of something that already needed repair.

If you prefer to remain in the dark about an issue, for example because you are trying to sell the truck, then don't get the flash.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM
TomCat-F350
Freshman User
Glad i read this before i took it in!!! Thanks NPCCPARTSMAN. I am awaiting my SCT programmer/tuner to read codes to see perhaps what is going on. Not sure what codes it will actually read but at least i will know for myself and can go from there. From what i read on the tech section my symtoms do not indicate bad FICM and my test for the output voltage checked ok but i also read that other things might be going on with the workings of the FICM and reading the codes may confirm that. I do not drive this much any more but i can not stand to have issues un resolved so it is making me crazy. Ha!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:30 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Glad i read this before i took it in!!! Thanks NPCCPARTSMAN. I am awaiting my SCT programmer/tuner to read codes to see perhaps what is going on. Not sure what codes it will actually read but at least i will know for myself and can go from there. From what i read on the tech section my symtoms do not indicate bad FICM and my test for the output voltage checked ok but i also read that other things might be going on with the workings of the FICM and reading the codes may confirm that. I do not drive this much any more but i can not stand to have issues un resolved so it is making me crazy. Ha!
Well........the SCT will read some codes but it's not known for it's code reading ability. It will, however, read your PCM strategy, which is more important, IMHO, about knowing whether or not you should really get your PCM reflashed. Even though the new flash contains some good features, it's NOT a good flash performance and/or fuel mileage wise. There are much better older strategies for the PCM. The FICM is another story. That's why I suggested you have your FICM flashed and not your PCM. The dealer can't flash one without flashing the other so that's why I suggested you have your FICM flashed by Bill at Power Hungry Performance. They are a site sponsor.