1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compass problem Searched but no answer

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 PM
rdalley
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compass problem Searched but no answer

Before I get blasted, I have searched for every compass thread I can find and have not seen an answer to this issue.

New to me 2008 F250 lariat. When I go into the zone change menu it wont toggle between the different zones. It is stuck on zone 9 and I am in zone 5. I tried to calibrate the compass via driving in circles in but nothing worked. Anyone know how I can get it to select the right zone and calibrate?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:32 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The following should work.

Originally Posted by Owners_Guide

Compass zone/calibration adjustment
  1. Determine your magnetic zone by referring to the zone map.
  2. Turn ignition to the RUN position.
  3. Start the engine.
  4. From the SETUP menu, press and release the RESET control until the message center display changes to show the current zone setting (XX).
  5. Press and release the RESET control repeatedly until the correct zone setting for your geographic location is displayed on the message center.
    The range of zone values are from 1 to 15 and “wraps” back to 1.
  6. To exit the zone setting mode, and to “lock in” your change:
    • press and release the SETUP control or,
    • press INFO control to exit or,
    • wait 4 seconds and the zone will be “locked in”.
    Perform compass calibration in an open area free from steel structures and high voltage lines. For optimum calibration, turn off all electrical accessories (heater/air conditioning, wipers, etc.) and make sure all vehicle doors are shut.
  7. Press the RESET control to start the compass calibration function.
  8. Slowly drive the vehicle in a circle (less than 3 mph [5 km/h]) until the CIRCLE SLOWLY TO CALIBRATE display changes to CALIBRATION COMPLETED. It will take up to five circles to complete calibration.
  9. The compass is now calibrated.
Note: If the RESET control is pressed or 3 minutes has expired, the display will go back to the INFO menu and will show CAL instead of the compass heading until the compass is calibrated.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
rdalley
Junior User
I think I found my problem. I am missing the box that mounts behind the rearview mirror. I looked and the wire harness is just a bare plug not plugged into anything. Does anyone know what that part is called or what I need to buy to get it fixed? Can someone snap a pic of theirs so I can see how it is mounted?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I've got 2 of them in my garage. I even have a auto-dim mirror if you need that as well (looks like you already have that option though.

1 is from a 2006 Taurus. the other is from my 2006 Lariat F-250.

I just put a new 2011 mirror into my truck (with camera) that has the compass built in.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM
rdalley
Junior User
I assume they are all the same aren't they? The 06 f250 should work in my 08. How does it attach? What do you want for it?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I'll shoot you a PM in a second about getting it from Point A (me) to Point B (you).

Ford uses 2 types of mirror mounts. The part glued to the windshield is the same no matter what. It's the part on the mirror that is different.
Type 1: Compression Mount. 2 thin metal wedges enclose the windshield clip. very easy to get on/off

Type 2: Mirror piece slides onto the windshield clip, then there is a little metal tab that keeps the mirror from coming loose. Requires using a tiny screwdriver to release the metal tab, then the whole thing slides up and off. not so easy to get off.
To install the compass module:
You have to pop off the rear-view mirror from the clip that is glued to the windshield.

Type 1: a small indention is on the bottom of the mirror mount. The compass housing snaps on using that 1 tab/clip.

Type 2: The mirror mount has 2 indentions on either side. The Compass housing has 2 tabs that snap into those indentations on the mirror mount.
Then you simply clip the mirror back onto the windshield tab.

below are pics of what I'm talking about.
Type 1
You can see how the 2 wedges compress against the windshield clip. Notice the single indentation on the mount

Here is the whole mirror with the compass installed
Type 2
See the 2 indentations on the side, and you can see the tracks for the windshield clip to slide on...and the metal retention tab.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

from your picture, it looks like you have the Type 1 mirror. can you look at the bottom of it and see 1 indention? or are there 2 indentions on the sides (1 per side)