Sponsored by:

power window motor on a '90

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 01:48 PM
kilted_drummer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a problem for about a year now on my '90 Bronco with the passenger window motor. The motor operates in both directions with both switch, but without assistance it does not go up. You can hear the motor nad see the window pulsate but does not move. So today I tear the motor/regulator out and dissasebled the regulator. Once I took the small gear off the shaft I noticed that there were plastic chunks all over in the grease. There is a white plastic piece that appears to be atteched to the other half of the worm gear out of the motor, and it has a triangular shaped recess that the shaft for the regulator gear goes through the middle. The back side of the regulator gear is a rounded triangular spape. My question is can I buy the piece that interfaces with the worm gear plastic housing and the regulator gear? Or can I make something that takes up the slack between the 2 pieces. I am going to take a picture of this to post in case this isnt understandable. Thanks in advance.
John
90 Bronco, 302

Old 04-05-2003, 02:02 PM
kilted_drummer
Senior User

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kilted_dr...iew=t&.hires=t

Here is a link to the picture of what I am talking about. Cant figure out how to make the picture appear in the text..sorry.
John
90 Bronco, 302

Old 04-05-2003, 02:55 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Couldn't open the link you posted but as far as the power window motors/regulators go I have never replaced one so I am not certain just what individual components are available. My experience is more with the tailgate glass. My brother dealt with this window problem on his 88 F-250. I will check with him or have him post what he did to fix it.

Old 04-05-2003, 03:07 PM
kilted_drummer
Senior User

thanks...I am looking at different websites now talking about this issue. It seems it is a nylon part, possibly a clutch, but I could be wrong. Most sites talking about this issue have mentioned that replacement parts other than the entire motor assembly are hard to come by. Here is what I have found....

first idea....Buy 3 1/2" x 3/4" nylon spacers (bushings) from a hardware store. They come with different sized holes down the middle. The 0.45" spacers were a little too sloppy, so...
Buy a 3" long bolt the same diameter as the hole in the spacer.
Get out a large piece of about 60 grit open-coat sandpaper.
Chuck the spacer on the bolt in your power drill and procede to grind it down to 10 mm in diameter.
Cut off to 12 mm long.
Do this on all three. Reassemble and you are done.

second idea...I stumbled upon your tip for the Power windows on the 91 Ford Explorer. I too went around all over the place looking for the gears.. no such animal, and the dealer only sales the whole kit.. $180. Well here's what I did, as an experiment, I bought one of the gears from Pepboys, took a flat head screw driver and lifted up the center piece out of the gear (it's loose, on the original it's the same way) comes out easily, took the 3 little pieces put it in my gear.. presto good as new.. only costs $8.75 at Pepboys

third idea...I also had the passenger front window quit working and the replacement parts were backordered but I found a shadetree mechanics quick fix. After removing the motor ***'y from the door and disassembling it, I placed 3 small ball bearings in the space between the plastic gear and the inner triangular shaped metal gear. Grease her up, reinstalled the motor and we have a working window again. Total cost $00.00! There's a lot to say for keeping all those misc. pieces and parts in what I call my 20 year box. Some time in the next 20 years I'll need it.

Old 04-05-2003, 03:28 PM
bigric
Fleet Mechanic

Classic problem with Ford truck electric window motors. There are a number of plastic beads inside the motor that get chewed up over time. Replace these with similar plastic or metal beads and you should be good to go. Or junkyard the entire assembly.

Old 04-05-2003, 05:49 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ford sells a kit to replace those disintegrated bumpers for ~$18. I've posted the PN before, but I can't find it right now. The dealer parts guy can find it, though (if he hasn't memorized it! ). You can see what it looks like in the GP Auto pics album in my signature link.

Old 04-06-2003, 03:07 PM
kilted_drummer
Senior User

Thanks all.... I think I got it figured out now. I think this is a good one to do a few photos and a text right up about as it appears to be a very common problem for Ford all around.
John

Old 04-06-2003, 07:49 PM
saanders
Senior User

You can get a repair kit on eBay for $5.95 + $3.95 shipping. Search for "ford window motor repair kit" and you should find it.

Here's a link to a current auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6781

Old 04-07-2003, 01:36 PM
kilted_drummer
Senior User

I got it done..back together and works like a champ...*pats self on back*. I used 3/8" steel rod, cut off 3 pieces at 1/2", repacked with grease, stuck these 3 chingas in and threw it all back together. After realizing I didnt have any bolts the right length, and a run (literally) to Advance auto parts, I got it in and work great. Thanks for the insight all.

Old 04-07-2003, 01:43 PM
kilted_drummer
Senior User

[IMG]C:\My Documents\My Pictures\Me\bronco2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-07-2003, 05:48 PM
saanders
Senior User

There's a reason behind Ford's madness - those nylon buttons absorb the shock when the glass stops suddenly and the motor wants to keep turning. Your steel replacements won't do too good a job of that, so you might want to work on replacing them. In the meantime, make sure everyone keeps their hands out of the way when the window goes up!!

Old 04-07-2003, 06:14 PM
kilted_drummer
Senior User

that window rarely gets used... I was just tired of not having it at all. But thanks for the input.. I am looking for 3/8" or 10mm nylon, but this got it back together today because of the weather here.