6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Another morning hard start

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by blueline970
Yeah scanner probably wont help me here but would help out in most cases I would think but would help me learn more about whats going on my truck.
If you could watch ICP and IPR% you might be able to see if the HPO ystem had a leak
where wouldbe a diffrent storey

It would be hard to air test with shop air the HPO that sees 3000 PSI Regular

Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by blueline970
Yeah mine will fire off then die. When I go to crank it again it will take 5 to 10 seconds to fire up. The oil pressure gauge wont read anything until about halfway through cranking it. Wish I had some better gauges. Think a Scangauge 2 is in my future for my truck.

motocraft oil filter

have you checked the oil filter drainback valve make shure its not stuck open

Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 PM
blueline970
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a motorcraft oil filter in it. Ill check the drainplug tomorrow make sure its not stuck. Probably talk with the guys that work on all our fleet vehicles that have a 6.0. They might be able to help me if me or someone else cant find that one thread cheezit is talking about. In any case thanks for yalls help as always.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
I have been backing my truck up my driveway at night and at work backing up onto the curb to keep the front end of the truck lower. Starts as normal and runs fine. I figure this is the best thing to do until I figure out what the problem is. So far have new oil (Rotella Synthetic 5w40), new oil filter (Motorcraft), new fuel filters (International). I pulled the oil filter to check the drain back valve and didn't see anthing unusual. I am going to check it again to make sure. Someone said that a diagnostic test most likely would not show anything. I am stumped at this point. Hopefully someone will chime in with a fix. I talked to one mechanic and he said it sounds like the LPOP is about to take a puke. From what I have read though, the HPOP would be more likely the issue. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks to all who have contributed to this post.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 AM
blueline970
Mountain Pass
I read a thread on here were a guy had problems starting his truck even though everything he uses was stock. Ended up being an after market oil filter cap that wouldnt allow stock filter to operate the drain correctly because it set the filter higher. May be something to look into.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
a scan tool really wont get you there. that the whole issue. an oil pressure guage may or may not.
It got me an idea of what to from there though..

I took the oil cooler out and filled the hpop resovior up with oil and check the leve after a few hours. I found the level had droped by about 40-50%. from there I pulled the pump and block of the supply rifle and refilled the hpop resivior. level stayed full. process of elimanation, a little luck and some experance.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
Originally Posted by cheezit
a scan tool really wont get you there. that the whole issue. an oil pressure guage may or may not.
It got me an idea of what to from there though..

I took the oil cooler out and filled the hpop resovior up with oil and check the leve after a few hours. I found the level had droped by about 40-50%. from there I pulled the pump and block of the supply rifle and refilled the hpop resivior. level stayed full. process of elimanation, a little luck and some experance.
I guess my next step is to get someone to test it with an oil pressure guage. I don't have much experience so I will need a lot of luck.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
Any Ford Techs want to chime in with thoughts or opinions?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:36 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
going threw life as choped liver really sucks....
what else would you like to know.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:47 PM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
Go back and look at post #6 in this thread. Benny has some great advice you may have overlooked. No one will have a magic answer without some diagnostic info on temps, pressures, and voltage.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
Originally Posted by NewToDiesels
Go back and look at post #6 in this thread. Benny has some great advice you may have overlooked. No one will have a magic answer without some diagnostic info on temps, pressures, and voltage.
I saw that but then a couple of other post said that wouldn't tell me anything. I am willing to try anything at this point. Is the Scan guage 2 the one I need to get to run these test? I think they run about $160 or so on Ebay? Thanks for your help.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:57 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitchinfool
Any Ford Techs want to chime in with thoughts or opinions?
Do you have Cheezit on ignore or what??? You couldn't ask for any better diagnostic help for a VERY difficult problem.

Originally Posted by cheezit
going threw life as chopped liver really sucks....
what else would you like to know.
That's almost laughable Moe!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 AM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
That's true in my experience as well... Lost an EGR cooler, no code. Lost HPOP, no code. Lost alternator, no code. Lost 4 injectors, no code.

BUT... I have a Scan Gauge II (post EGR cooler rupture) that I picked up from EBay and it has been extremely effective in diagnosis. Had I had one before the EGR cooler, I probably would have seen that coming. The Scan Gauge can monitor critical items such as engine oil temp, HPO pressure, IPR valve duty cycle, ICP voltages, boost (03 & 04 trucks have no boost gauge), and tons of over stuff. It also will pick up most codes, but not all.

It sounds to me like your truck is definitely experiencing HPO issues. You could also pay Ford dealer to run diags on your truck and then fix it yourself. My dealer charges $85 for a diag, very reasonable. Again, the guys in the shop at the dealer work on these vehicles and will usually have a good idea if your are thorough in your description of the problem. They don't have x-ray vision, but the diagnostic equipment comes pretty close.

If you go the Scan Gauge route - there are several folks here that will help you with diagnosing. Troubleshooting is the process of ruling things out that it could not be until you find what it is. Some folks like to jump to what they think it is and that becomes costly when the problem is still there.

Most likely you won't find a code, but through the process of elimination you will find it and fix it.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
Originally Posted by NewToDiesels
That's true in my experience as well... Lost an EGR cooler, no code. Lost HPOP, no code. Lost alternator, no code. Lost 4 injectors, no code.

BUT... I have a Scan Gauge II (post EGR cooler rupture) that I picked up from EBay and it has been extremely effective in diagnosis. Had I had one before the EGR cooler, I probably would have seen that coming. The Scan Gauge can monitor critical items such as engine oil temp, HPO pressure, IPR valve duty cycle, ICP voltages, boost (03 & 04 trucks have no boost gauge), and tons of over stuff. It also will pick up most codes, but not all.

It sounds to me like your truck is definitely experiencing HPO issues. You could also pay Ford dealer to run diags on your truck and then fix it yourself. My dealer charges $85 for a diag, very reasonable. Again, the guys in the shop at the dealer work on these vehicles and will usually have a good idea if your are thorough in your description of the problem. They don't have x-ray vision, but the diagnostic equipment comes pretty close.

If you go the Scan Gauge route - there are several folks here that will help you with diagnosing. Troubleshooting is the process of ruling things out that it could not be until you find what it is. Some folks like to jump to what they think it is and that becomes costly when the problem is still there.

Most likely you won't find a code, but through the process of elimination you will find it and fix it.
I am going to get it diagnosed. I think my friend knows a guy who will do it for $50. I work 6 days a week so Sunday is the only day I can do it. That is why I have been trying to get as much information as possible on here. I was to caught up in reading responses instead of who it was doing the responding. I didn't catch it until npccpartsman posted. Yeah, I feel like an idiot. So by all means no dis-respect to you cheezit. My bad for not paying more attention. I appreciate all who have contributed. I will post the results of the diagnoses.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:05 PM
blueline970
Mountain Pass
Yeah same boat with not having much time. Probably drop it off at the Ford Dealer in the city I work in. Able to get some kind of discount because my employer gets most of the fleet vehicles from ford. If I cant figure it out soon hopefully they can while I am working.

Quick Reply: Another morning hard start