1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

An interesting experiment

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:15 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
An interesting experiment

This kind of warmed my heart in a number of ways. A Hagerty Insurance exec (?) drove a near-stock '27 Model A exclusively for a year. I thought it was nice that the Hagerty guy isn't just a bean-counter, he seems to be a true old-car guy. It also gives perspective on driving an old vehicle without all the fancy doo-dads.

The Ford Model A as a Daily Driver for a Year - YouTube

Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
That is a hot car. I think our car is a '30(?) Model A coupe, but it doesn't have the rear area, it just slants back and has a pop-up seat.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Very interesting story. It makes me wonder, though, who his insurance company was/is. I didn't think Hagerty, and all of the other classic car insurers, would cover daily driving? ;-)

Old 09-12-2011, 10:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Very interesting story. It makes me wonder, though, who his insurance company was/is. I didn't think Hagerty, and all of the other classic car insurers, would cover daily driving? ;-)
LOL! You're right, absolutely not for work-related driving. Probably has Allstate!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:28 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
Oh, so that's why they specify that Hagerty is collector car insurance, it isn't meant for old cars that are driven, but rather Garage queens worth boat-loads.....hmmm, I didn't know that.

Must be like insuring a house: expensive.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh - That guy runs Hagerty - Am I missing a joke?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I have Hagerty Insurance.

It sounds like he's using it for work... Big No-No... Maybe they are getting ready to offer a new kind of insurance for them...

Here is from Hagerty's website:
Vehicles that may not qualify

There are some vehicles we do not cover due to their limited collectability, the way they are used and/or the extraordinary risk their use may pose, including:
  • Camping, off-road or utility-type vehicles
  • Daily-use vehicles
  • Commercial-use vehicles
  • Motorcycles with performance modifications
  • Any vehicle modified with nitrous components
  • Dune Buggies

Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Cooter55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hagerty is not my favorite any more and they sure managed to break their rules with this stunt. Had a Corvette insured with them. Bought another one and they wouldn't insure it because it wasn't worth enough and no longer fit their up scale collector car image.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:27 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Cooter55
Hagerty is not my favorite any more and they sure managed to break their rules with this stunt. Had a Corvette insured with them. Bought another one and they wouldn't insure it because it wasn't worth enough and no longer fit their up scale collector car image.
Your kidding?! My Allstate agent is always after me to insure my truck with Hagerty, and it is surely worth less than your Vette. Was this recently?

Old 09-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Allstate sells Hagerty insurance is why they are pushing it at ya... I did it thru my Allstate agent... As for the vette is that the one that has the race suspension? That might be why... They don't like the words "race suspension"...

Old 09-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Cooter55
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Your kidding?! My Allstate agent is always after me to insure my truck with Hagerty, and it is surely worth less than your Vette. Was this recently?
My Allstate agent would insure it through them but at the time I had it direct with Hagerty..

Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Allstate sells Hagerty insurance is why they are pushing it at ya... I did it thru my Allstate agent... As for the vette is that the one that has the race suspension? That might be why... They don't like the words "race suspension"...
Actually, they insured both my Full race prepped Vette and my highly modified convertible. I was turned down on my stock '90 because it was worth less than $10,000. I do avoid words like "race" and "competition" when talking with insurance companies.
If you can believe it, I have my truck insured through the National Corvette Museum insurance, I believe it's underwritten by American Modern Home.
Better prices than Hagerty, and fewer restrictions.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 PM
crazyeddie
Senior User
Hagerty and American Collectors both offer awesome insurance. I insure my '76 F150 through them and I pay $97 per year - not per month... PER YEAR. Full coverage, zero deductable.

Quick testimonial: I got peppered by a gravel-train and my windshield got cracked - made a phone call and a check for $400 came in the mail to my doorstep in two days. The windshield, seal, and installation was only $200. I called their agent up and told him he overpaid me by $200 and he told me to buy something nice for the girlfriend ... ??? HOW OFTEN DOES THAT HAPPEN???

Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by crazyeddie
Hagerty and American Collectors both offer awesome insurance. I insure my '76 F150 through them and I pay $97 per year - not per month... PER YEAR. Full coverage, zero deductable.

Quick testimonial: I got peppered by a gravel-train and my windshield got cracked .....
That happened "on the way to a collector car event", right?! Or were you in a parade?

Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM
crazyeddie
Senior User
Nope I actually drive the truck daily in the summer. I've even been pulled over a few times with the "historical" plate and they've never had an issue.

The adjustor didn't even ask what I was doing or where I was going when it happened - he just requested a picture via email.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by crazyeddie

Quick testimonial: I got peppered by a gravel-train and my windshield got cracked - made a phone call and a check for $400 came in the mail to my doorstep in two days. The windshield, seal, and installation was only $200. I called their agent up and told him he overpaid me by $200 and he told me to buy something nice for the girlfriend ... ??? HOW OFTEN DOES THAT HAPPEN???

Is that thru Hagerty or American Collectors?

Quick Reply: An interesting experiment