Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Senior User

radmacks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
radmacks radmacks radmacks radmacks
Anybody know the size of the starter bolts

Does anybody know what the size of the starter bolts are, my bolts rattled loose the bottom one came out and the housing broke, the bottom bolt is gone and I need to find a new one ASAP, as well I'm in Canada any suggestions where I could find a new one ?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Senior User

And to make things even more confusing my starter is two bolt but I see the mount has three threaded holes. Does a 2002 7.3l take a 2 bolt or 3 bolt starter ?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Elder User

lhud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lhud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine is a two bolt setup. It also has a third hole for a three bolt setup as well.
My starter did not have room for a third bolt.
I do not know the metric size of the bolts, but I think maybe the socket size was a minimum of 10 mm - really just guessing from memory.
Maybe someone else will clarify for you.
Try searching through some of the existing starter threads. I also remember someone having to replace the adapter plate that allows the starter to be bolted to the engine.

Good luck,
2002, F250, 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CC, SB, Gold Superchip plugin, AIS Air Intake, FS2500 Oil Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter & Dahl Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, 4" MBRP Turbo back, Warren Hubs, GP LED Light, Edge CTS Monitor, AE/PC Laptop, Chevron Delo HD ELC. 6.0 Tranny Cooler,
2004, Stock Ford Navigator.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Senior User

After searching and searching I have come to the conclusion that we can use both 2 or 3 bolt, Mitsubishi seems to be the only one making three bolts. The bolt sizes are M10 x 1.5 x 35mm grade 8.8. I'm going to clean the holes with some break cleaner and then try some loctite red on them and see how it goes.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
351m, 400, 460, 60, 73, bolt, bolts, diesel, f250, ford, metric, power, size, sizes, starter