Hot start problem: 6.0L - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hot start problem: 6.0L

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-11-2011, 03:11 PM
shane90dsm shane90dsm is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
shane90dsm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hot start problem: 6.0L

I have a 2006 turbo D 6.0L and this week I started to get a hot start problem. The truck starts ok when cold, go the store, turn off; go to start and it just cranks. Came up with a p2290 fault code. Injector control pressure too low.
From what i looked up was, it can be a number of things. High Pressure oil pump etc. Could this be a fuel pump issue? I replaced the glow plug control box, and im going to replace the FICM next. Im also going to change the fuel filters in hope that its an easy fix.
any other ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
BLADE35's Avatar
BLADE35 BLADE35 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Saratoga Springs,UT
Posts: 17,830
BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane90dsm View Post
I have a 2006 turbo D 6.0L and this week I started to get a hot start problem. The truck starts ok when cold, go the store, turn off; go to start and it just cranks. Came up with a p2290 fault code. Injector control pressure too low.
From what i looked up was, it can be a number of things. High Pressure oil pump etc. Could this be a fuel pump issue? I replaced the glow plug control box, and im going to replace the FICM next. Im also going to change the fuel filters in hope that its an easy fix.
any other ideas?
Id hold off on a new FICM maybe just check th volts on it

P2290 is your Hgh Pres Oil system start there


Your drivability issues are from a Bad STC fitting,standpipes,and dummey plugs
Your HPOP is Fine
change above mentioned and problem will be solved when you change those parts on your HPO system

this is very common on an 05+
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2011, 03:46 PM
shane90dsm shane90dsm is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
shane90dsm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLADE35 View Post
Id hold off on a new FICM maybe just check th volts on it

P2290 is your Hgh Pres Oil system start there


Your drivability issues are from a Bad STC fitting,standpipes,and dummey plugs
Your HPOP is Fine
change above mentioned and problem will be solved when you change those parts on your HPO system

this is very common on an 05+
Thanks man. I was worried about that. This is an ambulance aplication and i have a spare ambulance that is over miles. (no longer able to funcion as an ambulance) so i took the FICM off of it. But i guess i don't even have to worry about that now.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2011, 04:14 PM
texans's Avatar
texans texans is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Abilene, Texas
Posts: 3,956
texans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to behold
What benny said. Your problem is going to be in the hpo system. Most likely the stc fitting.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2011, 06:03 PM
69cj's Avatar
69cj 69cj is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: S.Ca.
Posts: 11,946
69cj has a brilliant future69cj has a brilliant future69cj has a brilliant future69cj has a brilliant future69cj has a brilliant future69cj has a brilliant future69cj has a brilliant future69cj has a brilliant future69cj has a brilliant future69cj has a brilliant future69cj has a brilliant future
Quite possibly not the stc. Those problems were mainly in the 05 models. Check 1st by unplugging your icp connector. That sounds more like your problem on an 06. Then you can look further. Simple things first.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Coronado's Avatar
Coronado Coronado is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 154
Coronado is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
Quite possibly not the stc. Those problems were mainly in the 05 models. Check 1st by unplugging your icp connector. That sounds more like your problem on an 06. Then you can look further. Simple things first.

He speaks the truth, true diagnosis is the key to any problem on modern vehicles/equipment. Besides, you learn nothing when you just throw parts at something.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-2011, 10:21 PM
texans's Avatar
texans texans is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Abilene, Texas
Posts: 3,956
texans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to behold
I agree with both post above. I would never suggest throwing parts at anything. You will need some sort of a scanner that can read pids to help diagnose this. Scan gauge II from autozone is a good choise for this on a budget. Or go with autoenginuity with ford enhacements a little more pricy, but great tool to have.

I would not suspect the icp with a hot no-start situation, but you never know. Typically this situation is due to a leak in the hpo system somewhere. Either way you will need a way to verify hpop at time of no start. As 69cj said try unplugging the icp sensor next time it happens and try to start.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Coronado's Avatar
Coronado Coronado is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 154
Coronado is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you happen to be located someone near north Texas then I would be more than willing to meet you and help diagnose your problems!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-11-2011, 11:24 PM
BLADE35's Avatar
BLADE35 BLADE35 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Saratoga Springs,UT
Posts: 17,830
BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
He speaks the truth, true diagnosis is the key to any problem on modern vehicles/equipment. Besides, you learn nothing when you just throw parts at something.
Gauges would be a great start as Scotty said
I use SGII although AE would be awesome

I really hope its as easy as a New ICP Sensor
just thought there would be diffrent symtoms and diffrent code

The only parts I recomended went along with his P2290
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 AM
shane90dsm shane90dsm is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
shane90dsm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLADE35 View Post
Gauges would be a great start as Scotty said
I use SGII although AE would be awesome

I really hope its as easy as a New ICP Sensor
just thought there would be diffrent symtoms and diffrent code

The only parts I recomended went along with his P2290
Thank you guys for all the posts. I might have to just take it to the dealer. When the truck runs it seams to run ok, no loss in power ect. but turn it off.... anyways. I think there may be a new leak somewhere. Im going to look up how hard it is to replace the STC fitting. one thing to keep in mind is although it is an 06 it might be an 05 engine. It takes time to build the box on the back. And not sure about year splits ect. but again thanks guys.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
egregg57's Avatar
egregg57 egregg57 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New hampshire
Posts: 648
egregg57 has a good reputation on FTE.egregg57 has a good reputation on FTE.egregg57 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane90dsm View Post
Thank you guys for all the posts. I might have to just take it to the dealer. When the truck runs it seams to run ok, no loss in power ect. but turn it off.... anyways. I think there may be a new leak somewhere. Im going to look up how hard it is to replace the STC fitting. one thing to keep in mind is although it is an 06 it might be an 05 engine. It takes time to build the box on the back. And not sure about year splits ect. but again thanks guys.
You're describing what was happening to my truck. It's an 05 though. Had to have the fitting replaced on the HPOP. All set now.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weak hpop? High Pressure oil leak? BstangBill 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 1 10-31-2016 10:08 PM
2002 F150 Sport Fuel Pump Control Module pocketmaster 1997 - 2003 F150 3 03-14-2016 04:30 PM
2003 6.0 - Hard to start hot. HPOP? benb123 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 13 10-13-2013 09:29 AM
NO START CONDITION. henryjb3363 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 26 10-18-2010 05:43 PM
2006 F350 Diesel 6.0L hot re-start problem mpeterson0786 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 4 07-03-2009 10:18 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
60, 60l, 87, dragging, f150, f250, ford, hot, hpo, issues, problem, start, starter, starting, supercharger

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.