Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screeching Pulley (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just cuz I know people think I'm not goign with their advice, I am listening and will probably pick up a tensioner today or tomorrow. Still, I' sure you all understand how frustrated I am considering how much money I have put into this one problem. I pretend I'm a decent mechanic and then can't narrow down a stupid, stupid issue like this.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:34 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ErrorS
The rear bearing in the alternator was in good shape but dirty and making noise when I pulled it, I cleaned it and cleaned it and cleaned it then put grease in and it went silent, felt fine. After seeing those pictures I think I'll pull it one more time and see if maybe I didn't do the job. I had repacked the bearing when my front bearings dried up but didn't clean it, this last time you could feel that it had picked up a lot of crushed carbon, but I got to it before the ***** took any damage.
I wish you could buy the rear bearings seperate, no local store has them.

also, a bit more testing, when I tighten the tensioner by hand with a wrench.. like if I push it down when the motor is off, when I restart it stays at that point and doesn't freely move back if that makes any sense? I know it use to move more freely than it does now.
In other words, if I let the tensioner rest by itself it moves to about the top of the "Range" brackets, if I push it down it moves closer to the middle and stays there without bouncing back up. I don't think a tensioner is suppose to do that. It will stay at that point while the motor is running.

Also! When I got the truck it was running the idler 3.5'' pulley, after the 3G and Saginaw swap, I put in a smaller no-AC pulley (2.5'' or 2.75''). The 3.5'' was tight without the swap, hard to get the belt on, after the swap it was impossible. My new belt was a tad looser than my old one apparently, the 2.5'' Pulley wasn't enough and it took the 3'' to put it towards the middle of the "Range" brackets on the tensioner, the old 2.5'' has it towards the low end of the "Range" brackets, the 'original' 3.5'' had it well above the range brackets, but I haven't run it with the 3.5'' for almost a year.
Now what does that tell you?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
grr, new tensioner and its still there..

I'm thinking it has something to do with the harmonic balancer, me not getting it seated all the way, possibly bending up my pulley when reinstalled or something. Maybe it's just a crappy belt as the sound always goes away when i take the belt off and put it back on, for about 3 minutes. If it was an accessory I don't see why it would go away after belt removal.

Was trying to fix it today and got distracted and removed my front shocks.. not happy with the ride lately. though I completely filled every crevice with insulation and the Bronco sounds fricken amazing, except for this STUPID ASTUPID SQUEEL grrr

Old 09-14-2011, 05:17 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Had the same squeak.....listened here and changed the tension pulley assembly......still have the same squeak.....

Getting real tired of it.

New alt, new belt, new tension assy., same old squeak. Going to try the old belt in the morning.......

Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
What kills me is that the new belt stopped it, then it came back a few hundred miles later.

I just can't figure this one out. Again, maybe my balancer is out of alignment. I have to change my timing cover, I'll just try to drive it until then..

Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Well....I am trying things. Started the truck with out the belt....no noise.

Rotated every pulley.....no noises at all and all feel smooth.

Then I lost my balance a bit and caught my self on the smog pump since I was almost in the engine bay. Noticed a squeak only in one position and only with a pressure on the pulley like the belt would do. Spinning free the pump makes no noise.

So, looks/sounds like I found an issue with mine. Will replace the pump in the next day or so. Pump costs $80 at local parts stores vs $150+ to remove with new belt, cat removal, and related crap.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:07 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
still fighting this.. it's driving me nuts..

I think I might be onto something with the balancer alignment though, I'm just not sure how far I should go with it. I'm getting an obvious belt wobble on my water pump, and it always stops for a few seconds when I put the belt back on until I start seeing that belt wobble.
With the way the 351w belt is routed, it goes crank > waterpump > power steering and in opposite direction crank > smog pump > alternator..

Put a balancer tightener on the balancer, tried to tighten it and was worried I was going too far with it.. some people just tighten until the crank moves (which moved the balancer in a tad actually) but it was taking quite a bit of force to move it beyond that.

The damper where the washer sits is almost flush with the end of my crank.

grr.. i hate taking off my crank pulley, it's not fun. I guess I'll go try it again

Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
I replaced the original smog pump which did not work. Got another original from the junk yard and it actually works. Put it on....less squeak but still bad.

Truck runs better with good pump.

I tried washing everything, two belts, and no noise unetil they dry off. Said to heck with it and drove it. Had the loud squeak for 5 miles at 60 mph....then quiet all day.

Next day...less noise....now it is down to a bird chirp every couple seconds depending on engine speed. Only with a cold engine start and less noise and for a shorter time each day. About 2 miles now and I hardly hear it with the windows up.

Still no idea what it is/was/or could be.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
sorta the same thing with me, it's completely random.. i'll think I have it fixed and then, bam, comes back.

i'm thinking it might be my power steering pump now, when I wet the pulley a little so the belt can slip at the pump (just a tad, i've had these things fly off in my face before) it quiets down and it doesn't do that for the rest of the pulleys, but I also have the best shot at the PS pump, so I dunno.

I get a bit of wobble at my PS pump, but I also do at my brand new smog pump.. still, I think it's that in and out play, regardless of whether it has always been there, it may just be a tad too much now and I know it shouldn't have play. It's a Saginaw pump..

still not sure if the pump would be shot or if I would just buy a replacement pulley from OReilleys..

Old 09-28-2011, 05:39 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
If the pump works and the shaft has no play, buy a pulley and try it.....but I really hate this throwing parts. Very aggravating.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
Yeah, hate throwing parts but I'm lost...

Alternator ($50, but got my 3G), tensioner($70), belt($30), new harmonic balancer spacer ($30!, stupid summit balancer), water pump/timing cover ($100, but was sorta needed anyways), two idler pullies ($30),

then the stupid labor, time I could have spent doing cooler stuff.

Anyways, does anyone know about the Saginaw pump? If it's making this kind of noise, it's an internal bearing or the pump itself, isn't it? Meaning a pulley is just a waste of money and I should just replace the pump? As far as I know, it's just a pulley pressed onto the shaft, right?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't you have a Ford CII pump, like this http://www.fordparts.com/PartImage.a...F1TZ3A674EBRM-

If you do have a Ford CII - Take the belt off it. It will have a little bit of in and out play. But grabbing the pully, it should have no appreciable side to side or up and down play.

Turn the pully by hand in the direction of travel. It is a slipper-type pump, it will turn harder, then easier, then harder etc. as it pumps. But it should not be hard to turn.

The only CII problems I have had across many years and many vehicles has been leaky shaft seals. No hard-parts failures. YMMV

Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
Picture isn't showing up.. the CII is the plastic pump though, isnt it? I swapped it out for a Saginaw from a van a while back.

The saginaw turns with some resistance, probably more than smog pump but not much more and it spins pretty smoothly. Of course I hear no noises at low speed and can't get any pulley spinning fast enough to hear noise.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:46 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
cvan you guys believe? a new, NEW belt fixed it.. forgot the truck was in pieces from a lot of other jobs (ev9 injectors, balljoints, coolant stuff, etc), forgot to tighten on my upper radiator hose and just wasted a bunch of new coolant.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Good...mine just stopped one day.....no bird chirps even.

Quick Reply: Screeching Pulley (with video)