What is included in the "Off Road Package"

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 PM
ctann
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is included in the "Off Road Package"

Hi all,

My 2001 F350 4x4 has the 4x4 package, but not the "Off Road" package. I was just wondering exactly what the off-road package included. I know that there are some skid plates added, but does anyone know the complete list? I am thinking of upgrading, but so far not having much luck finding the parts - may have to try Ford themselves...

By the way, just got back from a 1300 mile trip, the first long trip with this truck. Averaged 11mpg (with a fully-loaded Northlands 8' camper), and she ran without a problem the whole way. We got *deep* into the back-woods of Mendocino NF, but aside from a few bumps from me learning that the sway-bar brackets are really low on this truck, she handled the rough-stuff with ease.

Cheers,
Chris.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
There is no difference between "4x4" and "4x4 OFF ROAD" they were just names.

"4x4 OFF ROAD" replaced "4x4".

There is however "FX4" which included skid plates for fuel tank and one other item, which I think was the transfer case. You also get Rancho shocks and a new sticker.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:19 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skid plates for transfer case, fuel tank and rear brake calipers as far as I know, my window sticker says off road package...but my quarter panel stickers only have 4x4, so I guess its a crap shoot as to what you get

Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by mtdigger
Skid plates for transfer case, fuel tank and rear brake calipers as far as I know, my window sticker says off road package...but my quarter panel stickers only have 4x4, so I guess its a crap shoot as to what you get
Skid plates for your brake calipers?

I've never heard of that.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
Maybe its a dually thing...but, yeah...my brakes are hidden behind some hefty steel things, might be only one side with the forward caliper, passenger side I think

Old 09-09-2011, 06:44 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
Driver side rear caliper has a steel protection plate, possibly a dually thing, it looks like it could survive a nice boulder hit

Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Driver side rear caliper has a steel protection plate, possibly a dually thing, it looks like it could survive a nice boulder hit
are you talking about the parking brake backing plate?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:28 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
It's only on the driver side caliper, since the calipers is on the forward end, the passenger side caliper is facing aft, its a skid plate of some sort, it doesn't touch anything, the calipers isn't visible from the front of the wheel, hopefully someone else has a dually with it, because it was on there when I got the truck, and I'm 99.9% sure the OO didn't install it

Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It's only on the driver side caliper, since the calipers is on the forward end, the passenger side caliper is facing aft, its a skid plate of some sort, it doesn't touch anything, the calipers isn't visible from the front of the wheel, hopefully someone else has a dually with it, because it was on there when I got the truck, and I'm 99.9% sure the OO didn't install it
It is stock on duallys...it is to protect the caliper, best I can tell.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
There is no difference between "4x4" and "4x4 OFF ROAD" they were just names.
Actually, there is a difference.

The "Off Road" package did include the skid plates (transfer case and fuel tank). It also came standard with limited slip, which was optional in the regular 4x4 package. Then of course, the sticker.

The Off Road package was replaced in 2003 with the FX4 package. It was the same thing, except the FX4 package also included rebranded Rancho shocks.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:46 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Pocket

The "Off Road" package did include the skid plates (transfer case and fuel tank). It also came standard with limited slip, which was optional in the regular 4x4 package. Then of course, the sticker.

The Off Road package was replaced in 2003 with the FX4 package. It was the same thing, except the FX4 package also included rebranded Rancho shocks.
Hmm... thats the first time I have heard that.. But it does make sense, because I have "4x4 OFF ROAD" stickers and a transfer case skid plate. I havnt looked at my fuel tank.

I have always read that FX4 had the skid plates (for my year) and the 4x4 OFF ROAD was the normal 4x4 package.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:12 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket

My '01 Lariat has the Off Road pkg with the skid plates, but did NOT come equipped with the LSD rear differential. The axle code on the door sticker and the diff tag state this also. I can verify its absence by the fact I have installed an Eaton Truetrac in place of the stock open carrier.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:21 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mueckster
My '01 Lariat has the Off Road pkg with the skid plates, but did NOT come equipped with the LSD rear differential. The axle code on the door sticker and the diff tag state this also. I can verify its absence by the fact I have installed an Eaton Truetrac in place of the stock open carrier.
And I have had an '04 4x4 (not Off Road) with skid plates and limited slip. I think at the time it was skid plates and all terrain tires. The '4x4' had standard highway tires, whereas the 'Off Road' had all terrains.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
I have always read that FX4 had the skid plates (for my year) and the 4x4 OFF ROAD was the normal 4x4 package.
The FX4 package became available for the MY2003 Superduties. 2002 was the last year of the Off Road package. Except the other day I saw a 2011 with an Off Road sticker on the bed (different design than the sticker that's on my truck). So I'm guessing Ford brought it back?

Originally Posted by mueckster
That's not the first time I've heard that either. Seems that some trucks with the Off Road package came without limited slip for one reason or another. Mine came with the limited slip and skid plates.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:23 PM
ctann
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, didn't expect this to be so complicated! So just for the record, my 2001 came with the 4x4 package (not "offroad"), no skid plates, but does have the limited slip diff...

Anyway, I'm going to keep digging for the skid plates, I definitely want to get the fuel tank skid plate at the very least. Are there any after-market options, or are Ford parts the best bet?

Cheers,
Chris.

Quick Reply: What is included in the "Off Road Package"