6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

WHAT EGTS FOR A MILD TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
WHAT EGTS FOR A MILD TUNE

I assume all you tuned guys are monitoring the EGTs. What temps do you run in normal "daily driver" mode? and at what HP do you run? I have an EDGE EVO with a very mild tune 25/55. I'm hitting 700 or so degrees just driving around. That seems high to me. I wanted to drive it in "stock DPF gone" mode but it won't do that. I know I could bring them down with some other mods or a different tuner but right now I want to make sure it's really a problem before I do anything else. Thanks for the help. BTW, before you tell me how much better spartan is go over to their forum and read the recent threads.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
With my Banks 6-gun my egt's are 400-600 just driving around 60 mph.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 AM
tgreening
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run a 210 tow tune all the time. My egts run around 600-700 depending on terrain. When towing my 17k camper they run 150-200 deg higher than that on easy terrain. Hit the hills and things go up, but I rarely exceed 1200 or so and those are generally very short lived temps. Since I've heard the regen would push temps to 1400, and for 10-20 minutes at a stretch, I'm not sweating it.

Btw, you do realize how much better the Spartan tuner is don't you?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:48 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tgreening
I run a 210 tow tune all the time. My egts run around 600-700 depending on terrain. When towing my 17k camper they run 150-200 deg higher than that on easy terrain. Hit the hills and things go up, but I rarely exceed 1200 or so and those are generally very short lived temps. Since I've heard the regen would push temps to 1400, and for 10-20 minutes at a stretch, I'm not sweating it.

Btw, you do realize how much better the Spartan tuner is don't you?
Yeah, thanks for the heads up on Spartan. My problem is all I want to do is run stock with DPF off. I didn't know I couldn't do that with the EDGE (which I bought used). So I'm checking out Spartan and I go on their forum last night and here is a guy complaining that in their stock tune/DPF gone tune the truck won't run. Now I'm a little annoyed after paying 300 for the edge that it won't do what I want, imagine how I would feel if I had spent the 1250 for the Spartan. I just took mine to the store and from a light up a hill kicking it in the butt my EGTs went to the high 800s. BTW, when I just had the EDGE hooked in to monitor, the temps I saw during regen were not above 1300 max, and mostly in the 1000 to 1250 range. It has an alarm set for 1350 and that only went off once the whole trip. Anyway, thanks for the response. BTW, are you running anything else, big exhaust Cold air box etc?

Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
towing my closed car hauler to chicago and back, stock, monitoring with the dashdaq, the egts were solid at about 1000 the whole way.. 1250 in regen..

this at 70mph on cruise.

Sam

Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Yeah, thanks for the heads up on Spartan. My problem is all I want to do is run stock with DPF off. I didn't know I couldn't do that with the EDGE (which I bought used). So I'm checking out Spartan and I go on their forum last night and here is a guy complaining that in their stock tune/DPF gone tune the truck won't run. Now I'm a little annoyed after paying 300 for the edge that it won't do what I want, imagine how I would feel if I had spent the 1250 for the Spartan. I just took mine to the store and from a light up a hill kicking it in the butt my EGTs went to the high 800s. BTW, when I just had the EDGE hooked in to monitor, the temps I saw during regen were not above 1300 max, and mostly in the 1000 to 1250 range. It has an alarm set for 1350 and that only went off once the whole trip. Anyway, thanks for the response. BTW, are you running anything else, big exhaust Cold air box etc?

I think I saw like 1250 one time heading through W. Va or Va., I don't remember which, but like you I'm kinda heavy and it was about 103 deg that day.

I really like the Spartan, but I have issue with their stance that they dont intend to fix some of the quirky tunes until the hardware mfgr( drew industries) comes out with their next firmware update, which they say they have no time line on. To me that is unacceptable. No where in their sales lit does it say "13 TUNES INCLUDED! (not all guaranteed to work). From a customer standpoint I think that"s bs. As a buisnessman, I think that stinks and would never EVER expect my customers to swallow that. What people paid for should work, period, and if not fix it. Bite the bullet and fix it, worry about the firmware update whenever it happens. As far as I can tell there are only a handful of tunes that need fixing anyway. Anyway, I'll speak my piece over there one more time then call it a day.

I ran a complete new exhaust all the way from down pipe back, but it's still just 4". No muffler though. I also added an AFEStage II sumthin sumthin intake. That more than anything seemed to help the egts a bit.

And it looks cool.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I think I saw like 1250 one time heading through W. Va or Va., I don't remember which, but like you I'm kinda heavy and it was about 103 deg that day.

I really like the Spartan, but I have issue with their stance that they dont intend to fix some of the quirky tunes until the hardware mfgr( drew industries) comes out with their next firmware update, which they say they have no time line on. To me that is unacceptable. No where in their sales lit does it say "13 TUNES INCLUDED! (not all guaranteed to work). From a customer standpoint I think that"s bs. As a buisnessman, I think that stinks and would never EVER expect my customers to swallow that. What people paid for should work, period, and if not fix it. Bite the bullet and fix it, worry about the firmware update whenever it happens. As far as I can tell there are only a handful of tunes that need fixing anyway. Anyway, I'll speak my piece over there one more time then call it a day.

I ran a complete new exhaust all the way from down pipe back, but it's still just 4". No muffler though. I also added an AFEStage II sumthin sumthin intake. That more than anything seemed to help the egts a bit.

And it looks cool.
Yeah, I was very supprised at the Spartan response to the guys who were chipping a bit over what looks to me to be a poor situation from one who is supposed to be the industry standard. I was more shocked at the company response which seemed to be "give me your money and sit down and shut up". Oh well, it's none of my business. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:35 AM
fg250
Elder User
I assume all you tuned guys are monitoring the EGTs. What temps do you run in normal "daily driver" mode? and at what HP do you run? I have an EDGE EVO with a very mild tune 25/55. I'm hitting 700 or so degrees just driving around. That seems high to me. I wanted to drive it in "stock DPF gone" mode but it won't do that. I know I could bring them down with some other mods or a different tuner but right now I want to make sure it's really a problem before I do anything else. Thanks for the help. BTW, before you tell me how much better spartan is go over to their forum and read the recent threads.
You're right where I'm at 6-700 driving flat road empty. usually running spartan 210 with dpf delete. which is right where it ran stock, I drove it with the dd in just to monitor temps before tuning to give a baseline to see what was different.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by fg250
You're right where I'm at 6-700 driving flat road empty. usually running spartan 210 with dpf delete. which is right where it ran stock, I drove it with the dd in just to monitor temps before tuning to give a baseline to see what was different.
I did the same thing to base line the truck but I didn't pay close enough attention to the routine temps. I was mainly seeing where the high side was. This whole "tune" situation spooks me a bit. I just don't want to tear up the truck to gain clean motor oil. But, I was surely sick of the regens and the extra crud in the oil.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:14 AM
fg250
Elder User
yes, the oil situation is much nicer. i've went to 7500 mile oil changes with synthetic oil and i've loved the tuner since I put it on.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
My mildest tune is IDP's tow tune. I just did a 3K+ mile trip with a enclosed car carrier trailer (24-foot H&H) with 4 bikes that was just short of 7K pounds and the highest temps it saw anywhere on the trip were just over 1K. That's flat footed chuggin' up hills maintaining the posted speed limit. On straights it'd be anywhere from 600-800 depending on the speed limit, etc. Unhooked and puttin' around town it would typically around 600 or so...

I LOATH EGTs and have done everything I can to keep them low, particularly the downpipe and cold side CAC and an intake to a lesser degree. I'm running the IDP Xtreme Street now that I'm back to daily driving and the only way the EGTs get above 1K is if I lay into it and keep it there, but the second I lift they snap right back to normal. I'll likely take it to the 1/4 mile track to get some times before winter sets in, and that will give a real good indication of what my max is...I'm not seeing that on the street, and rightly (and legally!) so...

Old 09-11-2011, 03:23 PM
tgreening
Elder User
I did the same thing to base line the truck but I didn't pay close enough attention to the routine temps. I was mainly seeing where the high side was. This whole "tune" situation spooks me a bit. I just don't want to tear up the truck to gain clean motor oil. But, I was surely sick of the regens and the extra crud in the oil.

That mild of a tune won't stress your truck one bit, as long as the guys writing the tune know what they're doing. From a pwoer added standpoint though, no sweat.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
That mild of a tune won't stress your truck one bit, as long as the guys writing the tune know what they're doing. From a pwoer added standpoint though, no sweat.
Thanks, I think you are right. I don't know anything but what I read. I have an Edge I bought used. One guy on here calls it garbage, but based on his posts he's just trying to justify the thousands he's spent on his truck. So, I discount that opinion and otherwise I can't find any problems with it. I bought it thinking I could run in a stock tune/ no DPF, but it won't do that. I learned that the hard way. I set it on the stock power setting and started the truck. Before I could get out the driveway it went into regen. Of course I shut it down and reprogrammed back to power level 1. I sent the company an email and they verified that if I set it to stock the DPF cleaning turns back on. The tune is as you say very mild but it did get rid of the regens, which was all I wanted. Guess I'll drive it a while and see what it does.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
One guy on here calls it garbage, but based on his posts he's just trying to justify the thousands he's spent on his truck. So, I discount that opinion and otherwise I can't find any problems with it.
Gee, I wonder who you're talking about...

I won't assume it's me, since I don't need to justify a penny I've spent on my truck and the problems with Edge "canned" tunes, shifting/tranny specifically, are well documented on the "other" sites which are more performance oriented than FTE.

But as long as you're happy, that's all the matters.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:28 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
my understanding of the edge is that its basically a fuel box................

Quick Reply: WHAT EGTS FOR A MILD TUNE