6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

WHAT EGTS FOR A MILD TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Hey T, your rig weighs close to what mine does, maybe more since your truck is a 450. What kind of EGTs do you run towing in summer?

I think on the more or less flat and level I run about 800-900. I'm going by memory here and that's a bad bad thing these days. I do know that I considered 1200-1250 to be where I decided I would start to be concerned and running down to florida through W. Va and Va and their big farkin climbs I hit that number at least once, but only for seconds at best. I've read that regen temps are higher than that, and in my case that would have be 10-20 minutes at a time. I quite worrying about my tow temps since as a rule they are WELL within accepted limits.

Outside temp doesn't seem to affect things much as far as the egts go. When I was going through Va there was a spell outside temp hit 103.

Heading up into White Moutain in N. Hampshire there is a stretch 4 miles long of 13% grade. I pulled that at a speed sensible for the road, twisty and turning, and while not setting any speed records I didn't have any temp issues either.

My truck with me, the hitch,and a full tank of fuel, tips the scales at a touch over 9,400 lbs.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by fg250
I have a feeling you'll be fine with that low of a tune Stan. Whatch your pyro and I think you'll see it's not any different than stock, maybe lower due to improved flow of not having the dpf restricting flow. And your transmission is probably not going to notice the extra 25 ponies under the hood. The 5R110 is good for 1100 lb/ft. (hence the 110 name)
Darn, i learned somwething today. I sure didn't know that. And yeah, I think everything will be OK. I'm gonna do a test tow in a week os and see what happens. I'll report back and hopefully it will be a non-event.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
The 5R110 is good for 1100 lb/ft. (hence the 110 name)
I was more than a little skeptical about that statement, having heard it before myself...

Mark Kovalsky (a former Ford Torqshift engineer and site supporter here on FTE) puts the 5R110 specs in great perspective HERE.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
fg250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ronin 5729
I was more than a little skeptical about that statement, having heard it before myself...

Mark Kovalsky (a former Ford Torqshift engineer and site supporter here on FTE) puts the 5R110 specs in great perspective HERE.
that 580 doesn't hold water with me due to the fact that ford put it behind a motor with 650 stock so......I guess people can take that for what it's worth.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
that 580 doesn't hold water with me due to the fact that ford put it behind a motor with 650 stock so......I guess people can take that for what it's worth.
That I'd agree with...not gonna match up an underrated tranny with a high(er) output motor...but Dodge and Chevy/GMC seem to have way more problems with "theirs" than "ours"...

Old 09-13-2011, 07:15 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Darn, i learned somwething today. I sure didn't know that. And yeah, I think everything will be OK. I'm gonna do a test tow in a week os and see what happens. I'll report back and hopefully it will be a non-event.
sorry I haven't been on in a few days, but if I where you I would throw that edge on E-bay and buy a live wire and get some tunes from eric, I love the way my truck runs now and his tow tune will do you right!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:29 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by slowmans
sorry I haven't been on in a few days, but if I where you I would throw that edge on E-bay and buy a live wire and get some tunes from eric, I love the way my truck runs now and his tow tune will do you right!
I'm thinking about it. Mine runs fine now, heck it ran good enough for me stock. I just hate the regens and the oil dilution. Those high dollar tunes are sort of wasted on me. But, it's looking more and more like I might have to buy one just to get to run stock/deleted. That's kind of crazy.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:41 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts

I am thinking those numbers he has was before the 6.4 was considered. So there may be been some changes to handle the additional TQ of the 6.4 vs 6.0.

Maybe?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:12 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
You can get a custom tow tune from IDP for $100, an I have seen some used livewires on the nation's classified board, check EBay too.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:35 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by slowmans
You can get a custom tow tune from IDP for $100, an I have seen some used livewires on the nation's classified board, check EBay too.
How do the custom tunes work, decide what you want and send the tuner in or a computer down load? And why the live wire? Aren't the other big guys (spartan/H&S) able to accept a custom tune?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
How do the custom tunes work, decide what you want and send the tuner in or a computer down load? And why the live wire? Aren't the other big guys (spartan/H&S) able to accept a custom tune?
I got mine emailed to me and then you just transfer it from your computer to the live wire........yes you can order another tuner from other vendors but I like eric's tunes

Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 PM
FivePointo
Senior User
I recently replaced my edge evolution with an H&S Black Maxx I ordered it with an eye on fuel economy. I have a Volant cold air, an egr delete and an Elite diesel CFM+ as well as a 4" exhaust, oil bypass filter and external trans filter and additional cooler. Not sure it matters but it also has a Mag Hytec trans and rear diff cover, oh and a bed cover. Truck is an 08 F350 crew cab 4:10 gears and weighs 8700 with my wife and I in it. Last weekend from Atlanta to Pigeon Forge towing a 13500lb 5th wheel I got 16.6 mpg calculated, I have it set to defuel at 1150F, typically it's 650 and up, except coasting and downhill where it goes way lower. I am currently in Dothan Alabama with 2 co-workers and a load of equipment and on the way down got got 28.4 calculated mpg egts stay 600 or there abouts. I never go over 70 and mostly set the cruise around 67-68. I know this seems unbelievable and am shocked by these results myself but I have 2 co-workers(Not Ford Fans) also in disbelief(one drives a Surburban daily and gets 17mpg)who are now firm believers. Say what you will but this truck is far and again the best vehicle I have owned. I owned a Duramax and a 7.3 in the past and they do NOT hold a candle to this truck or the engine.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:49 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by FivePointo
I recently replaced my edge evolution with an H&S Black Maxx I ordered it with an eye on fuel economy. I have a Volant cold air, an egr delete and an Elite diesel CFM+ as well as a 4" exhaust, oil bypass filter and external trans filter and additional cooler. Not sure it matters but it also has a Mag Hytec trans and rear diff cover, oh and a bed cover. Truck is an 08 F350 crew cab 4:10 gears and weighs 8700 with my wife and I in it. Last weekend from Atlanta to Pigeon Forge towing a 13500lb 5th wheel I got 16.6 mpg calculated, I have it set to defuel at 1150F, typically it's 650 and up, except coasting and downhill where it goes way lower. I am currently in Dothan Alabama with 2 co-workers and a load of equipment and on the way down got got 28.4 calculated mpg egts stay 600 or there abouts. I never go over 70 and mostly set the cruise around 67-68. I know this seems unbelievable and am shocked by these results myself but I have 2 co-workers(Not Ford Fans) also in disbelief(one drives a Surburban daily and gets 17mpg)who are now firm believers. Say what you will but this truck is far and again the best vehicle I have owned. I owned a Duramax and a 7.3 in the past and they do NOT hold a candle to this truck or the engine.
Well the problem you have now is that no one on here will believe you know how to do arithmetic. They sure won't believe those numbers. What I would like to know is which evolution you had and why you changed. I have edge racing evo 15500 but haven't towed with it yet. My truck is almost the same as yours, (4.30 RA) and my 5er is about 3500 lbs heavier. Soooo, I'm concerned about how the tranny will handle the evo. If I can't get comfortable with the evo I'm thinking the H&S also. And, just for grins what tune level were you towing in when you got those mileages? Oh yeah, what is a CFM+? Thanks for your time.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FivePointo
can u tell us how you calculated.. cause you are the ONLY one with these kinds of results. I have an 08 350 4.10 rear DRW, bed cover, tow only 7000lbs, and cannot get above 11 towing with my Spartan.. 70mph and under. Now, my DASH says completely different (18-22 depending).. but I still get <400 miles per 38 gallon tank.

a 25% increase from stock would be incrediblly good.

Stanley the CFM+ is a CAI tube setup.

Sam

Old 09-22-2011, 04:26 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by sdetweil
can u tell us how you calculated.. cause you are the ONLY one with these kinds of results. I have an 08 350 4.10 rear DRW, bed cover, tow only 7000lbs, and cannot get above 11 towing with my Spartan.. 70mph and under. Now, my DASH says completely different (18-22 depending).. but I still get <400 miles per 38 gallon tank.

a 25% increase from stock would be incrediblly good.

Stanley the CFM+ is a CAI tube setup.

Sam
OK, thanks, I got it. Now what is the Volant cold air? Cause I thought that was a CAI.

Quick Reply: WHAT EGTS FOR A MILD TUNE