Massachusetts Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: donjamer

Need MA inspection sticker! HELP!!

Old 09-09-2011, 04:25 AM
chrissybits
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need MA inspection sticker! HELP!!

Hello There!!!

So i'm trying to help my boyfriend track down a place in Massachusetts to get his truck inspected and actually successfully walk away with a sticker. We flew out to Michigan about a month ago to pick up a 1996 Ford F350 7.3L Diesel Truck and drove it back. His truck has 38" tires on it with another 10" of lift...Needless to see it's quite difficult for me to get in it!!

Anywho, I figured I would see if any of you experts could help me find a place to go get it inspected. We are well aware of the lift laws, but figured maybe there was a nice "friendly" inspection station around that could help us out. I believe he is going to swap out the tires for the inspection to 35" but still, it's a bit large to pull in to any diesel station.

I didn't know if anyone could point me in the right direction, no matter where it is in the state. A PM, e-mail, anything would be wonderful.

Thank you all so much for your assistance!!!!

PS-I love my Edge

Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Let's get this straight; Your boyfriend knowingly bought a truck that is out of compliance with the state law.
Now you want someone here to help him find a inspection station that will risk its' business license and fines to issue a sticker to a vehicle that is out of compliance?

From the FTE Terms of Use;
You are strictly prohibited from posting or transmitting any .......material that could constitute or encourage conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
My recommendation would be to make the truck street legal in Mass.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
My recommendation would be to make the truck street legal in Mass.
Agreed, if he wants to drive it on the street. And- you will be able to get into it

Old 09-09-2011, 11:41 AM
chrissybits
New User
Originally Posted by shorebird
Now you want someone here to help him find a inspection station that will risk its' business license and fines to issue a sticker to a vehicle that is out of compliance?
Okay, let's back off a step or two chief. You didn't have to stand on your soapbox and get all high and mighty on me. If you want to preach the rule book to me, go ahead and tattle to the Forum Administrators and tell that I'm asking for illegal information (OH NO!) As if there aren't thousands of other vehicles in this state that are illegally lifted.

Listen, I know what you must be thinking...just another jackass meathead with a big truck...He bought the truck because the body was in pristine condition, not because of the massive lift. He is a mechanic and can of course lower the vehicle, but we see them driving around where we live all the time with INSPECTION STICKERS. clearly these people went somewhere to get their sticker, so I was kindly asking for suggestions. I was on another forum and saw people discussing it, so I figured I would ask here.

Let's not all sit here and pretend that inspection stations don't sometimes overlook things...if you don't want to risk your license, that's fine...doesn't mean someone else won't.

For the other two that kindly posted responses, thank you. At least you didn't come at me like a hall monitor on a power trip.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:28 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,050 Likes on 4,153 Posts
I agree with the other posters...probably best to make the truck street legal...you can have it lifted...but...there are rules. As you said...your BF is a mechanic and "can of course lower the truck".
I've lived in this state all my life...the last 28 years in the car business...and...I honestly don't know of any inspection station that will risk putting a sticker on your BF's truck. Inspection stations are constantly being monitored by the DMV/RMV...stickers are tied to that station/inspector...penalties are swift and severe. I personally wouldn't be comfortable asking someone to risk their livelihood in a situation like this.

I also think your response to shorebird was over the top...and...uncalled for!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:43 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
If it helps, the bottom rocker panels need to be no more than 28" from the road... I had to pull a full 6" of lift out of a truck that I procured under similar scenarios. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:46 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by chrissybits
Okay, let's back off a step or two chief. You didn't have to stand on your soapbox and get all high and mighty on me. If you want to preach the rule book to me, go ahead and tattle to the Forum Administrators and tell that I'm asking for illegal information (OH NO!) As if there aren't thousands of other vehicles in this state that are illegally lifted.

Listen, I know what you must be thinking...just another jackass meathead with a big truck...He bought the truck because the body was in pristine condition, not because of the massive lift. He is a mechanic and can of course lower the vehicle, but we see them driving around where we live all the time with INSPECTION STICKERS. clearly these people went somewhere to get their sticker, so I was kindly asking for suggestions. I was on another forum and saw people discussing it, so I figured I would ask here.

Let's not all sit here and pretend that inspection stations don't sometimes overlook things...if you don't want to risk your license, that's fine...doesn't mean someone else won't.

For the other two that kindly posted responses, thank you. At least you didn't come at me like a hall monitor on a power trip.
Talk about biting the hand that feeds... you ask a question, and when you dont like the answer, you bag on it? Really? You must be relatively young to be asking something like this. The inspection station system was revamped pretty heavily about 10 years ago, with numerous stations simply closing because they could not meet the new regulations (which also included forced closings by the regulatory bodies... my local shop was one who would pass a truck like you say... and he didnt make it).

You want answers? You will get them. You don't like them? Thats on you.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:39 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
I agree with the other posters...probably best to make the truck street legal...you can have it lifted...but...there are rules. As you said...your BF is a mechanic and "can of course lower the truck".
I've lived in this state all my life...the last 28 years in the car business...and...I honestly don't know of any inspection station that will risk putting a sticker on your BF's truck. Inspection stations are constantly being monitored by the DMV/RMV...stickers are tied to that station/inspector...penalties are swift and severe. I personally wouldn't be comfortable asking someone to risk their livelihood in a situation like this.

I also think your response to shorebird was over the top...and...uncalled for!!!
Originally Posted by WhëëlMå1
Talk about biting the hand that feeds... you ask a question, and when you dont like the answer, you bag on it? Really? You must be relatively young to be asking something like this. The inspection station system was revamped pretty heavily about 10 years ago, with numerous stations simply closing because they could not meet the new regulations (which also included forced closings by the regulatory bodies... my local shop was one who would pass a truck like you say... and he didnt make it).

You want answers? You will get them. You don't like them? Thats on you.
Very well said on both accounts and reps sent to both.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:48 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts

Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM
chrissybits
New User
You know, I was informed before I posted on this forum that the people on this site could be somewhat rigid. My problem is not with the answer...It's the way the answer was delivered. I realize there very well might not be a station out there that will inspect the truck. It's not like we are going to cry and stamp our feet about it. He clearly took that risk when he purchased the vehicle. My issue is with someone, who isn't even a registered member for Massachusetts, spouting there feelings. I came to this forum for direct answers, regardless of what they may be. I did not come for someone to preach to me about their opinions- I merely came for facts. If you don't agree with my question, that's fine...we are all entitled to our opinions. However, when I come looking for factual information I don't want some snippy comment delivered back.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:37 PM
chrissybits
New User
Clearly I am "too young" to handle this forum.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:08 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by chrissybits
You know, I was informed before I posted on this forum that the people on this site could be somewhat rigid. My problem is not with the answer...It's the way the answer was delivered. I realize there very well might not be a station out there that will inspect the truck. It's not like we are going to cry and stamp our feet about it. He clearly took that risk when he purchased the vehicle. My issue is with someone, who isn't even a registered member for Massachusetts, spouting there feelings. I came to this forum for direct answers, regardless of what they may be. I did not come for someone to preach to me about their opinions- I merely came for facts. If you don't agree with my question, that's fine...we are all entitled to our opinions. However, when I come looking for factual information I don't want some snippy comment delivered back.
May I suggest you try and find a local 4x4 club, off road club or Ford truck chapter to assist you in your quest for an inspection sticker. They would know better than we would anyway.

The majority of us active posters love this this site and will not subscribe to any possible liabilities that may come back on Internet Brands. I'm very certain that Shorebird did not intend come come across snippy and I didn't take it that way. I think he and the rest of the posters have told you what you need to hear.

Please don't be offended. If telling the truth makes us rigid, then we are guilty as charged.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:08 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,050 Likes on 4,153 Posts
No you're not too young...and...you didn't post it in the Massachusetts Chapter. Perhaps if you try there you might find someone who can help you.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:15 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Stop one of those big old jacked up illegal truck that has a sticker and ask the owner how he obtained the sticker.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need MA inspection sticker! HELP!!