AC eliminator kit.....? what

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:17 PM
turbill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC eliminator kit.....? what

Dorman Products 34163 Dorman A/C Eliminator Kits

Am i missing something here, When i "deleted" my ac i just unbolted it and took off the belt. What one god green earth would spending $36 on a pully that rotates nothing accomplish

Old 09-08-2011, 05:20 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Thats for a serpentine belt system, where you can't just "take off the belt". I would think that in most cases, a shorter belt could be used. But you might need a pulley in cases where the vehicles are always A/C stock (its not an option).

Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For serpentine belted systems it allows you to use a stock OEM serpentine belt instead of a custom ordered one. Also if you delete a serpentine based item it changes the routing of the belt and simply buying a shorter belt might reduce belt contact on certain items leading to belt slippage and premature burnout.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Lukes66
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turbill

Am i missing something here, When i "deleted" my ac i just unbolted it and took off the belt. What one god green earth would spending $36 on a pully that rotates nothing accomplish
I LOVE air conditioning and I have never understood why people take it off. I was looking at a car that was for sale for my daughter and it had an AC delete pulley, plus the guy had cut the hoses that go to the condenser and the evaporator. I guess if I lived in Antarctica and my compressor locked up, then I could see doing a delete. Or if I were building a racecar maybe I could see it, on the other hand, an air conditioned race car sounds awesome too!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 PM
turbill
Senior User
i just got rid of it because it was broke and the least of my worries at the time, then i needed a part and my friend offered a trade for my ac so i got rid of it. there have been times i wish i had ac but oh well that what windows are for

Old 09-09-2011, 02:29 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lukes66
I LOVE air conditioning and I have never understood why people take it off. I was looking at a car that was for sale for my daughter and it had an AC delete pulley, plus the guy had cut the hoses that go to the condenser and the evaporator. I guess if I lived in Antarctica and my compressor locked up, then I could see doing a delete. Or if I were building a racecar maybe I could see it, on the other hand, an air conditioned race car sounds awesome too!

Got a friend with a Mercury capri XR2. It's his pride and joy. He did the same thing - pull the a/c and cut the condenser lines off.

me: "why'd you hack out your a/c?"
him: "it didn't work and it takes power from the engine to run it"
me: "Why not fix it so you can use it, and just keep it off if you want the extra power?"
him: "Because I can't fix it and I don't want to pay someone to fix it" (WI it's illegal to buy a/c recharge kits over the counter)
me: "it was probably just a leaking o-ring. Throw in a new drier, new o-rings and recharge it. I could have even checked it with a leak detector"
him: "but you'd still have to pay someone to charge it"
me: "no, I have the 609 MVAC certification, an assortment of o-rings and about 10lbs of freon left"
him: "DAMNIT!"

now he's usually seen driving a minivan when his g/f is with him.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:42 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by turbill

I can't remember if your truck is auto or 4 speed, but if it's auto, flush out the A/C radiator real good, and use that as a tranny cooler. Works great from what i've read!

If the A/C didn't work in the camper, that's what I'd do.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 PM
turbill
Senior User
I have an auto and that would be a great idea wish i had thought of that but Bluoval but has all of it now, i traded for a rad support so i'd rather have a radiator not about to fall out then a cool cab... oh well
Great idea tho

Old 09-09-2011, 04:57 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good point. I'm still looking for a good non A/C Rad support for my 1990.

I don't think i'm gonna get one from LMC as i've heard there really thin and cheap.