help adding power steering to a 300 with factory ac

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 AM
New User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
help adding power steering to a 300 with factory ac

I am trying to add power steering to my 77 f150 2wd. It has a 300 with factory air and I am having trouble finding the right bracket and steering gear. I bought a gear and bracket from a local and it turned out that the bracket was from a v8 and the gear is a few inches taller than my original, possibly from a later model or 4wd. I am searching for the parts online as well as local but am now unsure if what I am looking at is what I need.

Does anyone happen to have a photo of the power steering bracket with AC? Is it one bracket or made up of a few pieces?

Thanks in advance
Russ

The following 2 users liked this post by 136045:
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 PM
rustywheel68
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this may be completely useless info- but i scavenged brackets off a 90's truck (i think they're interchangeable up till '96?)

anyway- the power steering was on the driver side of the engine.
are you thinking about a combo AC/alternator bracket?

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM
New User
I think so. I am not sure. I have the ac bracket and have bought two ps brackets that are not going to work so I was hoping to find one with AC and PS to look at so I can see what I will need. my AC is on the drivers side and sits real high so I assume the PS would need to be somewhat below it.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're adding P/S do it right. With a Saginaw pump.

The Saginaw pumps came on vans. They outperform the stock truck pump by a mile. No more groaning and whining turning the wheel lock-to-lock. You'll need the hoses from the van too, if not just buy replacement hoses to fit the van at Napa or wherever.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:05 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Oh, and I couldn't say enough good things about Redhead steering gears. They cost a little more but drive so nice. No more slop in the steering.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:35 PM
New User
Thank you very much. Exactly the kind of advice with photos I was hoping for.

Russ

Old 03-16-2018, 07:55 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this is an old post but does anyone have a pic of the actual mount of the PS unit from a 4.9 with A/C . I'd like to add Power steering to my 1979 300 that has air conditioning. I'm not sure if it had it stock or not but I have that bracket and an idler pulley attached to it just like the upper pic...

thanks
bob

Old 03-17-2018, 06:43 PM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by norvillebob
I know this is an old post but does anyone have a pic of the actual mount of the PS unit from a 4.9 with A/C . I'd like to add Power steering to my 1979 300 that has air conditioning. I'm not sure if it had it stock or not but I have that bracket and an idler pulley attached to it just like the upper pic...

thanks
bob
There are some photos in this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16145893

Old 03-18-2018, 11:37 AM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
The pics up above are of an '86 Bronco with A/C. The bracket there is from a van, but the stock mount fits more or less the same - it connects using the same bolts that hold the A/C bracket to the engine.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:38 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this look correct. I'm asking because they are expensive, I don't mind paying up for the right parts.. I'd hate to buy the wrong thing..

Old 03-03-2019, 09:56 AM
QuickHomestead
New User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
75 F-250 300 in line 6 power steering

Did these brackets work? I'm installing power steering in my 75 F-250 and would like to use them. I see them on eBay. Would love to find a bracket that accepts a Saginaw unit but I can modify or just use a plastic unit

Old 03-04-2019, 08:51 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by QuickHomestead
Did these brackets work? I'm installing power steering in my 75 F-250 and would like to use them. I see them on eBay. Would love to find a bracket that accepts a Saginaw unit but I can modify or just use a plastic unit
Are you looking for just P/S set up or P/S with AC?
Either way I would say hit up the junk yards. If you are looking for AC also get everything from that 1 car, pick up or van so it all matches up.
Don't over look the pulleys on the water pump & ALT as they are a little different with & with out AC and how the belts get run.

Also note there are I think 3 different AC compressor brackets. 1 type will only work with the York compressor the other 2 with Sanden compressors.
There are 1 different P/S pumps used the Saginaw & MotorCraft and each use a different brackets. On the 80's trucks they used metal tubing run across the cross member as a PS cooler some are short others long.
There is a lot of information on the AC brackets in the 80 - 86 truck area if you do a search.
Dave ----

Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 PM
QuickHomestead
New User
Power Steering

I'll be installing this set I just picked up on ebay. Reman ford gears with saginaw pump. I will be adding AC to the vehicle as well. It was originally 2wd with no power steering and no ac
I can have a bracket fabbed up but it would be better to have something just bolt on. Thank you for your help guys

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Are you looking for just P/S set up or P/S with AC?
Either way I would say hit up the junk yards. If you are looking for AC also get everything from that 1 car, pick up or van so it all matches up.
Don't over look the pulleys on the water pump & ALT as they are a little different with & with out AC and how the belts get run.

Also note there are I think 3 different AC compressor brackets. 1 type will only work with the York compressor the other 2 with Sanden compressors.
There are 1 different P/S pumps used the Saginaw & MotorCraft and each use a different brackets. On the 80's trucks they used metal tubing run across the cross member as a PS cooler some are short others long.
There is a lot of information on the AC brackets in the 80 - 86 truck area if you do a search.
Dave ----

Old 04-17-2019, 05:27 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Did they say what the pump came off of this way when you go looking for the AC brackets you know where to look.
I think I also did not say in my other post about the crank pulley as I think it is a 3 groove one.
My web site is down or I would get some pictures for you.
Dave ----

Old 01-20-2020, 09:27 AM
QuickHomestead
New User
Smile 1975 Ford F-250 4.9L 300 inline 6 2wd power steering

I just wanted to reply with how my power steering kit from ebay turned out. This went into a 1975 Ford F-250 but should work for any other Ford F-100, F-150, F-250, F-350. The kit looked real nice on arrival. Came with some instructions printed out and very well packaged. The fabbed up pump bracket was the only part that I had any real problems with. The saginaw pump is solid. Now for the pics and my explanation. I hope this helps someone else.

This fabbed up pump bracket broke on initial use. It looked decent enough at first but the alignment for the pulley was off just a bit. It kept throwing belts and snapped off the second time. My buddy welded it back together in order to get it to fit right. See the picture below. Easy enough once it lined up correct. Make sure your belt is lined up straight or you will have problems!

The other spot that had fitment issues was here. The gearbox is factory re-manufactured and bolts right in. The the kit also came with new pitman arm. The steering shaft requires cutting and reattachment with a new joint which is much stronger than any factory rag joint by the way. The cutting was anticipated. The issue with fitment was with the clearance at the steering shaft. This truck has very old body mounts that have sagged quite a bit. The sag brought the steering shaft and joint very close to opening in the firewall. A bit of finagling at the cover plate made it work.

I think new body mounts will make it fit perfect. Not a huge deal but something to be aware of. If you have a body lift at all this might create a problem or make it easier depending on how high you have lifted the body.

Overall I can now steer the car easily with one hand and the steering is super quiet. I was towing a boat with it and had to turn around due to construction and I was worried I'd have to do a 3 point turn with a trailer and Miami traffic behind me. With the new ratio giving me a faster quicker turn I zipped around and went right the other way with the boat. It turns as easily as my dad's 08 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Quick Reply: help adding power steering to a 300 with factory ac