Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for best towing mods

Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Bpayton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for best towing mods

Hey guys just got a 01 excursion with a 7.3 a couple weeks ago and was wondering what the best Mods are for towing. I have a 28ft enclosed trailer probably around 9k loaded. I have done some pulling with the truck already and it has been awesome. The rear end is further down then I like and I do have equalizer bars already. I need to add a sway control bar to the trailer because it does like to wander a little bit. Would air bags help? Any suggestions are appreciated. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
On the motor side I have done MBRP 4” exhaust, gauges and the intake already. I am planning on adding the BTS Valve Body and DP Tuner here in the next few weeks.<o></o>

Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 AM
jasoncw
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
There are a ton of threads in the Excursion forum talking about V/B spring swap. This is what I would recommend. It is swapping F250/350 springs to replace the soft springs that came on the Ex. I personally installed the RAS on mine, but the V/B spring swap would be better if you can find a decent set of used springs or if you have the cash for new ones.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 AM
vtown00
Senior User
I have an enclosed 25' trailer, I didn't do any spring swaps, just added the helwig rear sway bar, new rancho 9000 shocks, and a sway bar on the trailer an it rides smooth, leaving tomorrow am from Ohio to Idaho guess if I have any other issues I'll find out then, let ya know what happens or if I'd recommend anything else when I get back.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
First thing I would do is head to a CAT scale and verify the overall weight of the trailer (loaded) as well as the tongue weight you are carrying.

This will tell you if your WD bars are properly rated to the trailer/tongue weight you are pulling.

Next...sway control...on a 28' trailer is essential...my strong opinion is to not even look at the simple "friction" bars and go for something much more effective for the size and weight of the trailer you are pulling...

Of course that will very likely mean buying a new WD hitch that has sway control with it. The two that come to mind...the Equal-I-zer BRAND hitch ( Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The &ldquo;American Original&rdquo; with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution ) or the Reese Dual Cam (Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66084 - JUST as an EXAMPLE) Either of these two choices will give you a very stable, secure and safe towing experience.

Now...as far as the Ex itself.

1) If you do not have a rear sway bar on the Ex...add the Hellwig
2) Make sure you have a good quality brake controller...I'd suggest either the Prodigy or Prodigy P3
3) As far as rear end squat...air bags will assist with raising and leveling the rear after you are hitched up...BUT they only assist with raising the rear...One of the major issues we fight on our Ex's is the fact that the rear springs are softly sprung...going to the Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) or a set of V/B code springs off of an F250 would be a much better option
4) Tires and tire pressures...make sure you have E range tires on your Ex...I have found more than a few on here that have D rated...also tire pressures...I've personally found that the higher you run your tire pressures...the more likely you are to have the classic "wander" complaint of Ex owners...I tow a 9000# 34' (hitch to bumper) travel trailer...I run 60psi front (I have a V10) and 70psi rear (I have 1100-1200#'s of tongue).
5) Mirrors...if you don't have the extendable towing mirrors...I'd suggest upgrading.
6) Get your front end checked out if you haven't already...ball joints are a problem in our trucks...and with your heavy PSD...if they haven't been done...it may be time
7) ENJOY yourself!

Hope this helps.

Let me know if something isn't clear.

Welcome to the Ex family!

Joe.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:49 AM
seven3smoke
New User
I'm a transplant to this site from another but let me fill you in on what i have found.

I have a 2000 7.3 X and tow heavy often, below is my lengthy discovery process and how to make these SUV's really pull well,

landyot radius rods and a Helwig sway bar will help a bunch with the wander but eventually you need to ditch the factory steering box for a red-head steer box. I messed with the factory unit, tighted the nut to eliminate play ect, then finally tossed it.

Air bags with an on board controler will end the SAG and coupled with the WD hitch you can alter the psi from in the cab to find the sweet spot on the gauge.

Once it pulled with confidence the powers started:

ATS tubo housing, 4" MBRP with down pipe, IH updated up pipes, cold air intake, eliminate AIH, HPOP oil line cross over, full gauges, boost fooler, Turbonetics mechanical blow of valve, tunes from Jody at BP, CCV relocated to vented catch can and a valve body shift kit with a tranny cooler from a 6.0.

Tranny soon went and I sprung for a well equiped BTS...this tranny kicks AZZ.

Along the way the shocks were swapped for Bilistin's, ball joints replaced, new u-joints, dog bones on front sway bar replaced and upgraded to urathane bushings, body mounts upgraded, steering stabalizer swaped out, new front hubs, starters, alternaters, water pump, coolant filter from Diesel Site, new t-stat housing and 203 stat, upper rear shock mounts tend to break the flimsy steel blind nut ford used, ect..

I can now say it pulls great and I could leave on 2k trip on a 10min notice. It not the fastest but it pulls my DMAX drag truck to the strip in a 30' enclosed trailer with out an issue.

Just my $0.02 on towing with a "X"

Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 AM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
I added this to my 01 and it really helped with the rear end squat

Timbren SES Kits - Suspension Enhancement for your Vehicle

I also have a Helwig rear sway bar and E-Rated Firestone Transforce A/T's. I pull a 29' TT with a GVWR of 9,500lbs. I use a Reese WD set up with a sway bar and have been pulling with this set up since 2003 with zero issues.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Bpayton
Senior User
Thanks for the replies so far

I will get a Hellwig sway bar coming, I have a good brake controller already and the front end was just rebuilt. It also has new ball joints and tie rods. It also has a set of new GY Duratrack 305/70/16 load range E that I am running at 65psi. It already has the big mirrors that extend. I have access to a ford Super duty junk yard that is about 15 minutes from my house so I could just swap the rear springs out. But I did have a F250 before with this trailer and it did squat pretty good too. Not sure if the F250 springs would do it. When/if changing the springs do you just do the rear or change both?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Digger 5
Senior User
Like the others, I'll just confirm. I haul an 18' enclosed car hauler (extra height and lifted) that weighs in at just under 9K. The Helwig and air bags made a huge difference. I haven't had the need for a trailer sway control but my trailer is shorter than some others here.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:05 PM
vtown00
Senior User
Get your tires to 80 or 85 psi that helped me a ton!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:08 PM
vtown00
Senior User
that's the rating on my E tires, helps prevent some unnecessary squatting and sway

Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Bpayton
Senior User
Max pressure on these Duratracks are 65psi cold. The truck doesn’t wander to bad. I only really notice it when being passed by a fast semi or big van mostly. I just towed from Ohio to Michigan last weekend and it was about 300 miles. I usually run about 70ish +/- I’m really impressed with the truck so far and the family loves it. Just looking to improve a little. The squat is the thing I don’t like the ride is great and the truck does not bounce. I had a dually for years and the ride was horrible.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:26 PM
vtown00
Senior User
I agree last year I went from Ohio to South Dakota and the semis were awful, I have the cheaper friction sway on the hitch and it took all that movement out, I was going to get the Reese system, WD an cam sway but drove to the local trailer shop an the guy laughed said my Ex didn't need all that, and so far he's seemed to be right, kinda surprised your tires are that much less but keep them filled or 5 psi over, good luck!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Bpayton
Senior User
Old 09-08-2011, 01:36 PM
seven3smoke
New User
Most of the wander on these trucks is caused from "Rear steer" this is where your rear axel movment causes the truck to wander and can be hard to correct with the wheel. This is improved with stiffer springs, however installing radius rods will almost eliminate it.

I experimented with a draw-tite system and also Reese, both systems combined weight control and sway control components. I was very close to purchasing a Hensley Arrow hitch system to end my problems when I pulled up to a diesel pump next to an X pulling a huge tri-axel toy hauler. After chatting with this owner and looking under his truck I started to research radius rods.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Bigpapa346
Senior User
Hey Joe, (X-HEMI)

I hope that your response is a simple template click away... seems I've read your response over and over and over.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for best towing mods