1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

BOUGHT IT! '51 F-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOUGHT IT! '51 F-1

I'll upload more pics to my '51 album in a few minutes. Very excited and very nervous. My first challenge will be replacing the differential/rear end. I am told by the guy I bought it from that I should not attempt this myself. I am not a "car guy" but am also not afraid to become one. And I can read directions. But I am getting ahead of myself. I'll post some pics.

t & c

Old 09-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Cooter55
Senior User
congatulations and welcome to the asylum...

Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Congratulations! Ask plenty of questions before proceeding with the rear-end swap.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM
HEAVY100
Senior User
nice truck , welcome

Old 09-07-2011, 07:31 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
I would love to have that truck!!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Thanks guys! My son and I are STOKED! Midlife crisis in full swing (for me, I mean...hopefully my 14 yr old son's MLC is a ways off...)

Anyway, it has a 351 Cleveland in it. I am hoping to be able to keep it running without having to overhaul it, but we'll see.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Rite on guys Im happy for you and glad you bought it, Looks pretty sound, You guys are goin to have a great time. Father and Son, so cooool!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
You may not be a car guy yet! But ya gonna be soon!
Thats a cool truck! Congrats! Take your time and study,study,study!!
There is lots of help right here on this website.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
2 Questions: Why do you need to change the rear end? And why did the guy tell you you can't do it yourself? It's not a difficult job at all, one that would be fairly simple to begin your quest. Did he offer any explanation to his reasoning? I'd be curious to know if he had a reasonable warning, or just trying to get a job (more money) out of you.

Congrats on your acquisition.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:48 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler S

Anyway, it has a 351 Cleveland in it....

Oh, and BTW, that's not a Cleveland, that's a 351 Windsor. FYI.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Congrats.... Keep the pics coming... What kind of rear end are you wanting to go with? And I love the door art hope your planing on keeping it...

Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congratulations! You have a nice looking truck. Sounds like your mechanic guy is an a$$. It's not hard to change out the rear end. It's a bolt-in procedure. Look for a 9" rear end from a 57-67 F100. They're a direct bolt-in. 68-72 will require some modification to the spring perches.

Good luck with your project and ask a lot of questions.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Congratulations! You have a nice looking truck. Sounds like your mechanic guy is an a$$. It's not hard to change out the rear end. It's a bolt-in procedure. Look for a 9" rear end from a 57-67 F100. They're a direct bolt-in. 68-72 will require some modification to the spring perches.

Good luck with your project and ask a lot of questions.
Thanks PanelMan. No my mechanic is not an a$$ but is rather pessimistic about lots of things and kind of an alarmist. So I try to temper what he tells me with other advice. i am not a car guy, and he knows it, so in his defense, I think he is trying to protect me from myself: ) But I fly $40 million jets for a living, so I think I can figure this out with enough patience and study. So....

What exactly IS a 9" rear end? What is the 9" measurement? That cannot possibly be the diameter of the axle can it?

And do I WANT a 57-67 rear end? If I am gonna mess with this, should I get something newer?

Is the diff a separate part from the rear end, or is it all one deal?

I posted a more specific thread yesterday about swapping out the rear end and I have gotten the gamut of answers--from there is no bolt in swap, to your answer that there is, in fact, a bolt in swap. I am rather confused. I am going to try to find a shop manual so at least I have a starting point...

I want this vehicle for a daily driver eventually (for my kid) and to be OK at highway speeds if needed. Not on the freeway daily, but I don't want it to redline at 45 mph in third gear, ya know?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Congrats.... Keep the pics coming... What kind of rear end are you wanting to go with? And I love the door art hope your planing on keeping it...
Thanks for all your help on this Craig. I don't know what kind of rear end I want. The only thing I know about rear ends is that i like firm ones. Fortunately my wife is a cyclist and has one of those, but I digress to crudeness.

I eventually want this truck to be a DD for my son (14) and to be able to handle highway speeds if required. Not daily or anything, but I don't want it to top out at 45mph.

Do I want something as new as I can get so there is minimal wear on it? Or are old ones fine? I saw your link to the guy selling an original '51 rear end, but again, do I want that, or am I just buying myself problems?

Why can't I just replace the differential? Is that and inseparable PART of the axle?

I need to get a shop manual and a parts catalog so I know what the heck I am starting with. Where can I get a shop manual?

Thanks,
tyler

Old 09-08-2011, 11:59 AM
hxgaser
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tyler S
Thanks PanelMan. No my mechanic is not an a$$ but is rather pessimistic about lots of things and kind of an alarmist. So I try to temper what he tells me with other advice. i am not a car guy, and he knows it, so in his defense, I think he is trying to protect me from myself: ) But I fly $40 million jets for a living, so I think I can figure this out with enough patience and study. So....

What exactly IS a 9" rear end? What is the 9" measurement? That cannot possibly be the diameter of the axle can it?

And do I WANT a 57-67 rear end? If I am gonna mess with this, should I get something newer?

Is the diff a separate part from the rear end, or is it all one deal?

I posted a more specific thread yesterday about swapping out the rear end and I have gotten the gamut of answers--from there is no bolt in swap, to your answer that there is, in fact, a bolt in swap. I am rather confused. I am going to try to find a shop manual so at least I have a starting point...

I want this vehicle for a daily driver eventually (for my kid) and to be OK at highway speeds if needed. Not on the freeway daily, but I don't want it to redline at 45 mph in third gear, ya know?
9" refers to the size of the ring gear housing. It is one of the most readily available and well performing rear ends that Ford made. I think it was manufactured since the late 50s to the early 80s. They are everywhere, not to mention pretty durable.

People are generally meaning the same thing when they are referring to a differential and a rear end. I guess technically one can claim that the differential is the assembly housed in the rear end housing. Generally there are 3 different types of differential. A typical "single legger", meaning the differential allows the power to be transmitted to only one wheel... Limited slip differential, meaning the differential has clutch built in where it transfers the power to both wheels... and a spool, that lock the wheels in sink. When most people say "Posi" traction, they are referring to a limited slip.

Anyways, if you are looking for a newer rearend, then look for something with the gear ratio of 3.5 - 3.7 to 1. It will cruise better than the typical 3.9-4.11 stock set up. Also I noticed somewhere on the forum that lists the rear end width. Just make to get something that is close to the stock width and you will be fine.

Quick Reply: BOUGHT IT! '51 F-1