Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Junior User

jayton4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
James Ayton
Prepping for 4.6L engine swap in Explorer

I am currently getting things prepared to swap an engine into my 2002 Explorer. The original engine, a Romeo (Code W) 2 valve aluminum 4.6L is dead at 186,005 miles.

The donor engine is from a 2001 Mustang GT, also a Romeo engine. The Explorer to Mustang 4.6L swap is a popular upgrade with the Mustang guys, since the Explorer block is aluminum and much lighter. For the purpose of cost savings, I am doing the reverse of this swap. I do not mind the added weight.

I understand that one of the items I need to swap over from my old engine is the timing cover. I do not understand why I have to change this cover over, but every post about the swap says it is required, so I will be doing it too. My original timing cover is pretty ugly. Should I just clean this with regular engine degreaser, or is there something else out there that would work best?

Click the image to open in full size.

Here are the rest of the pictures of my original engine: Ford SOHC V8 Engine Failure
Old 09-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Post Fiend

phil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant future
I would think the reason for swapping the timing cover is so all your accessories will blot up in the proper place!

Try some oven cleaner, that should take off that oily crap.
Join the the Delaware Chapter, HERE
Old 10-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Senior User

jyount is starting off with a positive reputation.
What he said, OR Wesley's tire cleaner, and the car wash. That stuff works well. I use it often. #1, Use it full strength, don't dilute it, it won't work. #2, Don't breath the spray from the bottle, it will make your kids be born necade...LOL. All joking aside don't huff it, it is pretty potent stuff. I use it because a spray bottle of it it less than 3 bucks at Wally World, it works good too. You can clean your tires too. It does a lovely job of bug removal at the car wash too. It does take the wax off though, if you wax your truck, be aware of that, and don't leave it sit on your vehicle either. Spray it on then wash it off... Oven cleaner is expensive.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:08 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)

Tags
1997, 2000, 2002, 46, 46l, aluminum, conversion, engine, explorer, ford, liter, rebuilding, swap, swat, upgrades