6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

CEL, then Stop Safely Now

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:52 AM
FCampy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL, then Stop Safely Now

First post here and I hope I am not treading old ground. I have a 2011 F-250 with about 5000 miles. Sunday night, I was driving home and first got the CEL. Then less than 5 miles later, I got the red "Stop Safely Now". Pulled over and the thing just died. Checked the message center and nothing out of the ordinary other than the SSN message. Had to wait about 45 minutes for the tow truck and thought it might cool down. I tried to start it while waiting but got nothing. Battery was good and all electronics worked. Waiting to hear a diagnosis from the dealer. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:10 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Welcome Campy. Did you notice any different behavior other than the message to pull over? Engine sounds, high temps, etc?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:28 AM
FCampy
New User
Epic-

Thanks for the reply. Not a peep. No sounds, normal temps, etc.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds like a bad sensor. Probably DEF or some temp sensor somewhere. Interested to hear what the dealer figures out.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the truck and welcome to FTE!

That's strange. Seems like I remember something similar right around the end of last year. I'll have to do some research and see if I can find the thread about it. Keep us informed. Probably some dumb sensor.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Welcome to FTE.
I'm with Epic on this one.
Most of the sensor failures resulted in a CEL but only a few that I remember had their trucks go a step further and shut down.
We're all just guessing without a code so let us know what your dealer says.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM
FCampy
New User
Thanks for the hospitality. I will definitely pass along what they find. Now if I could just get them to call me. They have had it since Monday and claimed to be looking at it first thing this morning. Is it likely that they will inform me as to the codes that they find or is that soemthing I will need to ask for? I am novice on these things but it seems like it will be good info to pass along to the more knowledgeable for future reference.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:18 PM
FCampy
New User
Dealership called to report that it was a failed EGT sensor. Part arrives in the morning and will be replaced tomorrow. I will try to find out more if there is anything more to learn. In the meantime, I'm a little disappoutned that it results in a complete vehicle shutdown. It would have been nice to limp home with the kids in the car instead of waiting for the tow truck.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
With EGT, you're better off letting it shut down.
I know it's a pain but if it was a true temp problem, you don't want something melting.
False alarm this time due to the failed sensor but those are there for a reason.

There are four. If you feel like it, ask them which one it was.
EGT11 is pre DOC, EGT12 is post DOC, EGT 13 is pre-DPF and EGT 14 is post DPF.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 PM
FCampy
New User
kper-

Thanks for the info and you are right for sure. Although I wonder if it would be possible to have agreement between two of them before a shut down. More importantly, I am hoping that is not a picture of my truck at the shop. . . LOL.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:03 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree it seems there should be a way to sync them to prevent this. That is exactly why the common CPS failure on the 7.3 was not an issue on the 6.0 because there is a redundancy between the crank position and cam position sensors.

Like kper05 said, for an EGT issue I would rather see it shutdown than meltdown.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:24 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear they found the problem. RTD's are pretty neat when they work right. We use them on our shovels at work and they seem to have a propensity to failure. A $100 sensor shuts down a $14 million dollar shovel. Oh well, like 720Deere said, better to shut down than melt down. Thanks for the update.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I had SO MUCH trouble with mine that I re located them to here:
Name:  IMG-20110908-00005.jpg
Views: 4497
Size:  66.9 KB
!!!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:53 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
On the 6.4 you can do a bypass to start the truck and then continue on. but you better make darn sure that you don't have an issue.

Also I would have though that after about an hour you should be able to start the truck Even if not too long before the sensor would have shut you down again.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
My CEL came on immediately after driving away from the dealer after this Spring's reflash. The CEL (and other idiot lights) come and go still to this day. Mine frequently dies and I used to have to call the dealer, but they would not fix it due to the necessary upgrades I had performed elsewhere.
My fix was to get a code reader for about $50, and I use this thing daily, to clear all the codes and allow the vehicle to operate. Yes, I know there is the danger of there being something really wrong, and shutting off the warnings could exacerbate matters, but in my case I'm willing to take the risk to have a vehicle to drive.
I will be in the Midwest in a few months, and I'm sure once I get there I will have numerous dealers to choose from to fix my truck (under warranty), without hassling me about all the (so far) minor changes that I've made.

I too suspect bad sensor(s) as a likely suspect. And like the last generation of these trucks, most of the problems are just small irritating ones, mostly related to emissions equipment forced on us by our own government. I really like Darren32's home made "tweak". Very clean-looking and a permanent solution.

I bet the service manager had an absolute heart attack when you got that truck up on their lift! My service manager was completely red-faced when he saw the (non-Ford) mudflaps and Weather-tech floormats, etc. Your's must have simply self-immolated after not seeing the usual mess of garbage between the frame rails!

Quick Reply: CEL, then Stop Safely Now