6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

CEL, then Stop Safely Now

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:42 PM
bmxTex
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, SO I have a 2011 Ford F250 Super Duty with @ 38K miles on it. Tonight I was driving home and all of a sudden my check engine light comes on and the truck says stop safely now. Well, all of a sudden I had no control of the truck, no power steering, no throttle, and had to mash really hard on the brakes. NO POWER????? the truck just shut off. The radio and lights worked just fine, the windows rolled down, but the truck would not start. I am just disgusted because this truck cost so much and its breaking down now. is this what is going to be like from now on? Fixed Or Repaired Daily... Found On Road Dead.... and if you spell it backwards, Driver Returns On Foot. cause thats what happened to me tonight???????????? I had to walk home to get my other truck to pull it home. SO Disgusted with my truck right now.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:12 AM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
This is quite common. Most likely a sensor issue. Go buy yourself a cheap code reader from someplace like AutoZone for around $50. This device will allow you to clear and/or read the code(s). It's happened to me a hundred times! Each time would have been a costly tow to the dealer. Clearing the codes, in most cases, will allow you to be on your way again in seconds.

In my case, I then further removed most of the ridiculous sensors and got myself a tuning device. This in itself allows me to read/clear codes and offers me better fuel economy and more power. Well worth it. And I found a dealer that did not care if I had this device, so my warranty is mostly in tact.
As a further benefit, because regeneration no longer occurs, I don't worry about fuel in my oil (which robs engine of longevity). A stock truck will "grow" oil, and this is very bad.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I it the egt sensor behind the DPF. It is bad. either carry a spare and short it and drive on.

It will start after a couple of hours even with the bad sensor.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder how well I could stop my truck and 5er while coming off the mountain when one of these EPA sensors decides it doesn't want to work anymore?

This is ridiculous. I can understand a fault occurring, but to completely remove all power and leave you stranded?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:11 AM
bmxTex
4th Gear
but at the same time, I should not have to be stuck in the middle of the road. I had no where to STOP SAFELY NOW. My truck died in the middle of the road. I had to push my truck off the road BY MYSELF!! Do you know how heavy a Ford F250 Super Duty is? Its heavy! I bought a 60K truck and its breaking down. I see pieces of crap vehicles with rims that coast more that the entire car driving by me. Its ridiculous.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:12 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bmxTex
but at the same time, I should not have to be stuck in the middle of the road. I had no where to STOP SAFELY NOW. My truck died in the middle of the road. I had to push my truck off the road BY MYSELF!! Do you know how heavy a Ford F250 Super Duty is? Its heavy! I bought a 60K truck and its breaking down. I see pieces of crap vehicles with rims that coast more that the entire car driving by me. Its ridiculous.
Yepr, I agree with ya. Sure wish there was a computer flash to get away from this problem before it turns into a catastrophe.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:41 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, SO I have a 2011 Ford F250 Super Duty with @ 38K miles on it. Tonight I was driving home and all of a sudden my check engine light comes on and the truck says stop safely now...
Have you had your dealership check this out, bmxTex? Let me know when you have a diagnosis from them so I can look into ways to help. To get things moving, just send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 AM
bmxTex
4th Gear
I had to get a flat bed to come get my truck and take it to my local dealer. They just called and said it is my EGT sensor #14 and they are going to cover it under my warranty. Thanks for your input and help,

Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Figured that was the culprit. Glad you're being taken care of and you didn't have any other issues resulting from the poor engineering and design of these EPA sensors that are going to cause some fatality yet.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:44 AM
McFarlandkm
Senior User
I was told as long as you don't go below 5mph the truck will not shut off. Can anyone confirm this. Even if we had to slowly drive down the shoulder to an off ramp and safety would be better than the side of a road!

Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Traveling Man
Senior User
I was in this same position except I had my wife to help me. No way I could have got if off the road by myself. If it happens again, well I actually have a spare EGT sensor and 13mm wrench. But I would like to leave it right where it stops and wait for a tow. Then trade it in on a Dodge. They have that new model that is flat black with no chrome, I like it!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Pacman51
Senior User
Happened to me yesterday on the way home from work.......and to answer McFar.....it shuts down....no limping along.....engine shut off at about 20mph and I coasted off to the side of the road. The scary part is about 10 miles up the road that I was on they are doing construction ...two lanes with jersey walls on both sides.....so no place to pull over now! In 5:00 pm rush hour traffic that could have been a disaster! EGT-14 has been replaced and going to pick it up now.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Pacman51
Senior User
Forgot to add like BmxTex I'm right at 38K right now.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Pacman51
Senior User
Everything covered under the 100,000 mile engine/drivetrain warrenty and my dealer is paying the extra $40 for the tow that FMC via their Road Side Assitance made me pay because they only cover a 35 mile tow and my dealer was 40 miles away! Bill Talley Ford in Mechanicsville, Va.......if you need service while on the road around Richmond, Va.....that's the place to go!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacman51
Everything covered under the 100,000 mile engine/drivetrain warrenty and my dealer is paying the extra $40 for the tow that FMC via their Road Side Assitance made me pay because they only cover a 35 mile tow and my dealer was 40 miles away! Bill Talley Ford in Mechanicsville, Va.......if you need service while on the road around Richmond, Va.....that's the place to go!
Sounds like your dealer took excellent care of you, Pacman51! I'd be happy to document your feedback about your experience so our internal folks can review it. To make that happen, PM me your full name, daytime phone number, dealer info, and any specifics you'd like me to include.

Crystal

Quick Reply: CEL, then Stop Safely Now