6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

CEL, then Stop Safely Now

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:58 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! Awesome list of codes. That will go right into my list of favs. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autozone has 'em. Ask to take one outside to the parking lot and test it before you buy. I first got one for $300 and it wouldn't even talk to my truck, then tried the $50 one which worked fine.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:23 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

What a bunch of crap

Im getting realy tired of hearing of folks being left on the side of the road with a dead truck because an emmissions system or worse yet a bogus emmissions sensor shuts them down. Its time to turn back all this environmental crap. Its making the USA uncompetitive and the laughing stock of the world. Unleash the Americcan industrial machine and watch the economy soar. Think what these trucks could be if the government wasnt screwing them up.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Its not just these trucks. Lots of cars made in 03+ are starting to see little emission system problems. The systems work great when the vehicle is new, but as things deteriorate, the systems start to fail like crazy.

If we think its bad with our trucks...imagine trying to run a coal power plant....

Old 09-10-2011, 09:06 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
Its not just these trucks. Lots of cars made in 03+ are starting to see little emission system problems. The systems work great when the vehicle is new, but as things deteriorate, the systems start to fail like crazy.

If we think its bad with our utrucks...imagine trying to run a coal power plant....
That is when I thought I would have to delete my emissions system...4 to 6 years down the road. Ended up being 4 months after purchase.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:10 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

I: just cant deal with being left on the side of the road. I spend the $ for reliability. If they cant deliver, why do I need it. I already have a truck I dont trust, I dont need a prettier one. Remember when, you shut off a diesel by shutting off the fuel.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 PM
OffroadSD
Senior User
About 5 weeks ago I accidentally had some diesel go into the DEF tank and waited for a month before the Dealer pulled a DEF tank off a stock unit and put it into my truck. I had the truck back for 6 days and the CEL came on and took it in to the dealer this morning and was told that the old design of the DEF tanks are having many failures, according to the service manager there 120 people waiting for tanks that are on backorder, but Ford is able to continue building these trucks!! Why are they not taking care of the customers that paid 50k+ for these trucks that have the trucks disabled? My DEF tank that was pulled for another vehicle was an old design and was told that it to is a bad unit. Darren32, I may also be placing my emission equipment where yours is stored as well. The service manager told me it was okay to drive but I maybe left stranded somewhere and there is nothing they can do until Ford starts delivering these new DEF tanks! Now I have to play the release date game again which is now up to October 6th for these DEF tanks, but I am sure they will continue moving up this date. I sure hate to remove the emission equipment but Ford is giving us no choice. I am going to see if there is any type of complaint I can place with the NTSA or whoever governs these EPA issues.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:03 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by OffroadSD
About 5 weeks ago I accidentally had some diesel go into the DEF tank and waited for a month before the Dealer pulled a DEF tank off a stock unit and put it into my truck. I had the truck back for 6 days and the CEL came on and took it in to the dealer this morning and was told that the old design of the DEF tanks are having many failures, according to the service manager there 120 people waiting for tanks that are on backorder, but Ford is able to continue building these trucks!! Why are they not taking care of the customers that paid 50k+ for these trucks that have the trucks disabled? My DEF tank that was pulled for another vehicle was an old design and was told that it to is a bad unit. Darren32, I may also be placing my emission equipment where yours is stored as well. The service manager told me it was okay to drive but I maybe left stranded somewhere and there is nothing they can do until Ford starts delivering these new DEF tanks! Now I have to play the release date game again which is now up to October 6th for these DEF tanks, but I am sure they will continue moving up this date. I sure hate to remove the emission equipment but Ford is giving us no choice. I am going to see if there is any type of complaint I can place with the NTSA or whoever governs these EPA issues.

I really respect the patience that a lot of you have here! I have very little, and even less time. I continue to follow these threads to see where this will all fall out. I HAD planned on leaving my truck stock until at least warranty was over OR I started having trouble with the emissions equipment. As we are all painfully aware the systems are very complex. If we are having this many issues now immagine what it will be like 3 years from now!

The thing I do not understand is why some people have so many issues while others have none?? Could it be in the way we use our trucks?? I do not work mine very had most of the time. It is a daily driver, 10 miles to and from work most days. Engine not working hard and barely up to temp when I shut it off at work. For me lots of idling (with high idle mod) when it is cold. I was having partial re gens before I started with all the problems. I assumed that it was the cold that triggered my problems but maybe that is not the case? Are the daily driver types like me the ones having the problems? The guys that work their truck hard, towing and driving all day, lots of miles, do you guys have issues as well? Just a potential theory.......

I do really appreciate all the great input that is on this board. I read a recent post by pbruckne about the repeat P164A code. I understand Ford's side. But my side is that I had P164A over 1 year ago! I hade re flashes and NOX sensor replaced a couple of times. Nothing fixed it until I got rid of the emissions equip back in January. Had I not done that it appears I would STILL be dealing with it (along with other issues).

My DEF tank went in the dumpster in January (Ford says it's no good so why keep it).

Thanks

Old 09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
I really think it's naive that anyone would think that they could complain to the government and get them to change policy just because the policy is severely flawed. I think our train is going downhill and has finally gone off the tracks. Hard to stop a speeding train.
So I think it's too late for politicians to listen to their constituents and do anything even if they were so inclined (and they are not).

But I consider myself an optimist. Things are probably worse.
I feel like our government has become like cancer in your body that's competing for the limited resources there. If the cancer wins this competition, you both die. You would think a smart cancer would stop just short of killing you, and just continue to mooch off you. But we know many people actually die of cancer, so cancer is pretty selfish and stupid.
Very similar to our current mutation of government.
Sad to see it all go down the toilet. But hey, we had a good run and we had many accomplishments as a nation. Nothing lasts forever.
Like I said, I am an optimist, and the reality is probably more dire.
Then again, maybe it's just my blood sugar. LOL
(sorry...having a moment)

Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Von-Overkill
I really think it's naive that anyone would think that they could complain to the government and get them to change policy just because the policy is severely flawed. I think our train is going downhill and has finally gone off the tracks. Hard to stop a speeding train.
So I think it's too late for politicians to listen to their constituents and do anything even if they were so inclined (and they are not).

But I consider myself an optimist. Things are probably worse.
I feel like our government has become like cancer in your body that's competing for the limited resources there. If the cancer wins this competition, you both die. You would think a smart cancer would stop just short of killing you, and just continue to mooch off you. But we know many people actually die of cancer, so cancer is pretty selfish and stupid.
Very similar to our current mutation of government.
Sad to see it all go down the toilet. But hey, we had a good run and we had many accomplishments as a nation. Nothing lasts forever.
Like I said, I am an optimist, and the reality is probably more dire.
Then again, maybe it's just my blood sugar. LOL
(sorry...having a moment)
Remember, they used to call the 20th century the American century. Well it was.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:32 PM
OffroadSD
Senior User
I agree about complaining to the government, it is to late. My complaint is trying to get these DEF issues recalled and fixed by Ford, I just put in a complaint with NHTSA hoping that others are doing the same so there can be an investigation started. According to NHTSA, without a pattern of complaints they dont know if problems exist. Ford really needs to step up here and get these tanks fixed. Sorry just really frustrated with this issue and having to worry about being stranded on the side of the road.
On a good note though my tranny is shifting like a dream after having the 3 solenoids replaced. The rolling on of the throttle is no more, I gas it and it goes!!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
I agree about complaining to the government, it is to late. My complaint is trying to get these DEF issues recalled and fixed by Ford, I just put in a complaint with NHTSA hoping that others are doing the same so there can be an investigation started. According to NHTSA, without a pattern of complaints they dont know if problems exist. Ford really needs to step up here and get these tanks fixed. Sorry just really frustrated with this issue and having to worry about being stranded on the side of the road.
On a good note though my tranny is shifting like a dream after having the 3 solenoids replaced. The rolling on of the throttle is no more, I gas it and it goes!!
Okay, I think I missed something. It did not occur to me that there could be tranny solenoid issues related to acceleration...
I thought it was all emissions related? (I may have missed your posts related to this) So you had transmission solenoids replaced to correct an unresponsive pedal?

Old 09-19-2011, 03:21 PM
OffroadSD
Senior User
I updated what was done with the tranny on this thread.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rd-to-4th.html
Not sure if the shifting difference is due to the solenoids or the reprogram.
Whatever they did made a huge difference though.

Sorry about hijacking the thread.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 PM
4stroke
Freshman User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum Campy Glad it was just a sensor and everything is ok.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by Von-Overkill
Outstanding, darren32! Thank you for that list.
And patience does pay off sometimes. Sometimes not.
I can't wait to do what you've done! I had MBRP's Cool Duals on my last truck, and loved their stuff also. Am leaning toward the Spartan tunes right now, but we'll see...

As far as your keyboard inserting unwanted characters, a quick fix is to add a space just before the unwanted character manifests, then backspace out removing the space...should be a temporary fix.
Darren . . . . . . thanks for the list. I have an Edge CTS that may allow me to deleate codes (if applicable).
ken

Quick Reply: CEL, then Stop Safely Now