Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:26 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Unleaded in rear tank! Now what?

Good morning fellas!
THE SHORT STORY:
Well I have unleaded in my rear tank 3/4 gas-O-line and 1/4 diesel. What is the easiest way to get that crap out?

THE LONG STORY: This is a rant and does not pertain to the maintenance help I am seeking, just my excuse.
I have had a "pinched nerve in my neck" for sometime now. Severe neck pain and right arm pain at the elbow and my hands kept falling alseep. Finally went to the doctor and he refered me to a pain managment doctor and got an MRI done. It showed a lot of bulging discs and protrusions and bunch other 3-5 syllable words that I don't understand. So I get scheduled for a series of injections with some meds to get me through. One of the meds is called Nucynta for pain. Doc says its new and there is no other drug like it. I am a risk taker so I agree to try the new meds. I start taking it Friday. I take one and it imeadiatly knocked me out, I mean I could barely crawl from the chair to the couch! 13 hours later I wake up! WOW that stuff is wicked. I try to start my Saturday but I was to burned out I could not function....a few hours later I can't take the pain so I take another and back out I go! Sunday comes around and I take another b/c I am in pain....Good morning Monday! I am never taking that CRAP again! Tuesday, I get my 1st injection and get my meds changed to what I know works and ask the Doc to try this new med before he gives it to some one else. My injection is sore but manageable so I take no meds. This morning I get a good jump on work so I stop and get fuel....I am so burnt out by this new drug, I can not remember my flippen PIN for my ATM card that I have had for years! So I use my credit card (b/c gas pumps have rejected my card 3 times) and notice as I am filling it....it fills right up...it clicks off so I start to slow fill and notice as the fuel came up it was not all foamy...and then the horror of realility kicks me in the gludious maximus. I realized I was putting in gas-O-line! So I make sure I am running on my other tank and fill the other with diesel.
So why the rant?....I have never been so burned out like that. I have NEVER EVER done anything like that for sustained time nor to that degree. If you are ever offered Nucynta A Different Approach to Pain Management RUN!!! Stick with what you know will work. That stuff is anastetia in a pill!

Thanks for the shoulder
Ian

Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Copedawg
Good morning fellas!
If you are ever offered Nucynta A Different Approach to Pain Management RUN!!! Stick with what you know will work. That stuff is anastetia in a pill!
I guess you could say the stuff works! "Sleep -- A different Approach to Pain Management!" Sounds like me when I take Vicodin. Sleep like a log and have weird psychedelic dreams.

Anyway, about your fuel tank. The way I see it you have two options. 1 is to drop the tank, which is no fun at all when it is empty let alone when it is full of 100+ pounds of fuel. The second is the age old art of siphoning a gas tank. You can try it with a rubber hose or if you want, go to your local auto parts store and get one of these:

Siphon Pump

Runs you less than $5 and sure beats dropping the tank. I haven't ever tried to siphon the fuel from one of these tanks so I can't say for sure how well it works, but it sure seems to me like it's worth a shot. If you get the fuel out, I wouldn't run it on that tank until you fill it up with D2 to dilute whatever is left in the tank.

Sorry for your predicament. I feel your pain. It's one of those times when you could just about shoot yourself for what you did. At least you're man enough to own up to it.

Now for the real problem...what are you going to do with almost 20 gallons of Dies-O-line?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Thanks for the tips Nate!
I don't wanna drop the tank, for sure.
I have a diesel transfer pump here at work. I spose I could use that. I feel I wouldn't get it all out though. Is there a way to crack the line down stream and get all the "Dies-O-line" out?
What is D2?
and the waste fuel? I'll just dump it in a mahole somewhere...NOT! (bad attempt to get a smile) We have decontaminated fuel tanks here I can add to and the waste fuel company will dispose of it properly.
Thanks again for your insight. I am NOT fireing on all cylinders (mentally) and not up to my normal 20%. Thanks for walking me through this!

EDIT: Tried to rep you for the help and for the "Dies-O-line" terminology, but I am in jail

Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I would try to dispense the fuel into some kind of containers where you can get an idea of how much you're getting out of the tank (like a 5 gallon gas can). That way you will have an idea how much is left in the tank. Then like I said fill it up with D2 (regular #2 Diesel) and give it a run. If you have a gallon or two of the RUG (regular unleaded gasoline) left in there it should be ok. You could also add a bottle of a good cetane booster to the tank as well. The octane of the gasoline effectively reduces the cetane rating of diesel (Octane and cetane are pretty much opposites). Something like Power Service with Cetane Booster or something like that.

Don't pour it down a manhole. Why do that when you can burn stuff with it!? (that's the pyro in me coming out right there)

And not worries about the reps. It's the thought that counts!

Good luck. Let us know how the siphoning goes. Like I said I have never tried it on one of these trucks. Not sure if the rollover valve will let you siphon it out or not. If not you may have to take the vent line loose off the fill neck and try it that way?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I would try to dispense the fuel into some kind of containers where you can get an idea of how much you're getting out of the tank (like a 5 gallon gas can). That way you will have an idea how much is left in the tank. Then like I said fill it up with D2 (regular #2 Diesel) and give it a run. If you have a gallon or two of the RUG (regular unleaded gasoline) left in there it should be ok. You could also add a bottle of a good cetane booster to the tank as well. The octane of the gasoline effectively reduces the cetane rating of diesel (Octane and cetane are pretty much opposites). Something like Power Service with Cetane Booster or something like that.

Don't pour it down a manhole. Why do that when you can burn stuff with it!? (that's the pyro in me coming out right there)

And not worries about the reps. It's the thought that counts!

Good luck. Let us know how the siphoning goes. Like I said I have never tried it on one of these trucks. Not sure if the rollover valve will let you siphon it out or not. If not you may have to take the vent line loose off the fill neck and try it that way?
GOOD TO KNOW!!!
burn it!?! I am about to burn it in place!!! lol j/k.
Good idea, I will put in 5 gallon buckets and try to get a good idea of comes out. When I syphon it do I wanna be on the bottom of the tank or try to take off the top? Here comes the "burnout" in me, is the gas floating or is the diesel floating?

Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Copedawg
Here comes the "burnout" in me, is the gas floating or is the diesel floating?
At this point I am willing to bet that the two have mixed into one solution. SO it doesn't matter where you siphon from. I would shoot for the bottom of the tank so you don't keep getting air in the line and loosing your siphon.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's terrible news. I've had my share of back pain and I don't wish that on anyone. Hope it gets better Ian and good luck with the fuel.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our trucks are designed to run on up to 30%gas for those unfortunate to live in *extremely* cold climates. I've run up to 10% before. As for the back pain, I hear ya, Ian. I broke my neck back in '05 and I'm reminded of it often enough. Mine's worst when I get it cold and living on the Manitoba prairie, that happens sometimes. Bring on the painkillers!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

I am feeling better after my 1st injection yesterday...my arm doesn't hurt anymore but now my neck is sore and stiff.
Thanks for the well wishes!

I will let you know how the siphoning goes. I am glad I have 2 tanks...I would have been dead in the water w/o.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 AM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
If it is 3/4 gas and 1/4 diesel I'd try slowly burning it up in a gasser. You can put maybe a gallon or two into a car each time you fuel up.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 AM
540milotalon
Laughing Gas
I did this same thing a long time ago in my '85. I trailered her home because I filled BOTH tanks. While on the trailer I siphoned the gas/fuel into the '87 Bronco and never had a problem. I then poured a bunch of Diesel conditioner in her and then accidentally filled her back up with off road. That engine was pulled when these kids pulled out and totaled my truck, however, the IP pump is on another truck and doing well.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 AM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have siphoned out customers tanks before that got filled with gas....

Just get most of it out, put some diesel in there and a full bottle of Diesel kleen or something similar (nothing Lucas) and run it, you will be fine.

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Ian, I also feel your pain (s): cervical and about the gas. Good luck with both.

About the Nucynta JFYI

NUCYNTA IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
WARNING: POTENTIAL FOR ABUSE, PROPER PATIENT SELECTION, AND LIMITATIONS OF USE

Potential for Abuse
NUCYNTA contains tapentadol, a mu-opioid agonist and a Schedule II controlled substance with an abuse liability similar to other opioid analgesics.

NUCYNTA can be abused in a manner similar to other opioid agonists, legal or illicit. These risks should be considered when prescribing or dispensing NUCYNTA in situations where the physician or pharmacist is concerned about an increased risk of misuse, abuse, or diversion. Schedule II opioid substances, which include hydromorphone, morphine, oxycodone, fentanyl, oxymorphone, and methadone, have the highest potential for abuse and risk of fatal overdose due to respiratory depression.

NUCYNTA tablets are to be swallowed whole and are not to be split, broken, chewed, dissolved, or crushed. Taking split, broken, chewed, dissolved, or crushed NUCYNTA tablets could lead to rapid release and absorption of a potentially fatal dose of tapentadol.

Patients must not consume alcoholic beverages, or prescription or nonprescription medications containing alcohol. Co-ingestion of alcohol with NUCYNTA may result in a potentially fatal overdose of tapentadol.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Ian please find a good Chiropractor. Pills and drugs aren't going to help you bud.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
If it means anything, when I worked on my buddy's cattle operation, we had an auxiliary fuel tank and pump that we'd throw in the bed of trucks and take out to tractors in the field. We would use it for both gasoline and diesel depending on what we needed at the time. I'm sure that the pump couldn't get every last drop of the prior fuel out before we filled it with the new variety of fuel. The moral of the story is that even if you still have a little bit of gasoline in there, you ought to be fine. Just get as much out as you can. We never even noticed a difference in the way the tractors ran when filling up the tank after the tank had all the gasoline pumped out and filled with diesel.

Quick Reply: Unleaded in rear tank! Now what?