Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > North Dakota Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

North Dakota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: hav24wheel

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Williston, ND conditions?

I am needing to make far more than I am now, and while I have avoided the oil fields until now, I may need to start looking that way.
What is it actually like there, as far as the housing situation? I have heard of people sleeping in parks, rvs all over, and really really high prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport
but i can't tell you where i am, i don't want the nice men in the white suits and hug me jackets finding me
Old 09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Elder User

l67cooled is starting off with a positive reputation.
You wont find a house or a hotel room within 100 miles. Most oil workers live in man camps which are made up a bunch of campers. One bedroom apartments went from 300 a month to 2500+ and around 3k for a 2 bedroom. Crime is outrageous in the area especially man camps, so don't bring anything you don't want stolen. Winters are extremely cold and windy and you'll work through every one of them. If you do come without a job lined up, plan to sleep in your car for a while. Plus its not that easy getting most jobs out there without experience, and if you do plan on working 80+ hr weeks. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Yep. That about sums it up. Its sad to say, but ND crime rate went up big time with all the out of state people showing up.

Winters do send people packing. First -40* and 30 mph wind day and people just can't handle it.

Dave

2003 Excursion Limited, V10, 4.88s, 315/75R16s on 16x10s
100% posting from iPhone
Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Junior User

4mcrue is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dave Farber
I would say it's worse in Williston than in Dickinson. Prices of everything have gone up though, rent is stupid high and so are groceries. Lots of people from down south coming up here, but they will get thinned out a little as soon as it gets cold, which is kind of nice. This is where I was born and raised, the growth is kind of nice, but has it's downside as well.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Post Fiend

AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
it was absolutely crazy when i was back in august. my family is from williston so i've gone back every few years since i was a kid. i NEVER thought i'd see the town turn into what it has. there is work, but housing is the biggest issue i saw. those RVs and people camping out are going to get mighty cold!

my grandpas company is working down there, alot of people from here going down also. make sure you have a job and place to stay. a friend of mine's company from anchorage is building a mancamp in Trenton which i think is supposed to be open by now, he said they already need more beds and that was a month before it opened.

few pics from my trip.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
2011 F-150 Limited #3679 6.2 V8 4x4, Retrax bed cover, Husky mud flaps and wheel liners, HIDs, 35% tint
2002 Excursion Limited V10 4x4, 2.5/2" lift, HIDs,LEDs,20" DC wheels
1998 Expedition XLT 5.4 4x4,HIDs,16x8 ultra wheels,LEDs, HIDs
1991 F-250 lairat 4x4 5.0, 7'6" BOSS snow plow, Back Rack, Strobes, Work lights
Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM