Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

How do I replace an Idler Arm

Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 PM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do I replace an Idler Arm

Do I have to have special tools or what .. my truck failed inspection.
It is a 99 F150 2wd.

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by SSG VA BEACH
Do I have to have special tools or what .. my truck failed inspection.
It is a 99 F150 2wd.

Thanks.
some muscle, lil elbow grease and sometimes even a big friggin hammer... im probably a little late but could help if ya want

Old 09-07-2011, 04:29 PM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
.. Well I haz many hammers .. how can this thing go bad .. ?
... can I get one from a junk yard ?

.. should I just scrape the rejection sticker off and go somewhere else and see if I pass ? ...

..of course the next place migt find some worse stuff .. but I bet if I go back to the first place the guy won't look at the rejection sticker to see if it is the same one he put on ... of course there might be a certain number the check ...

..am I cheap and broke ? .. yes ...

.. and lastly .. is this if unfixed is it going to cause my tire to bust off and have me collide with a church bus full of Nuns ?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
.. Well I haz many hammers .. how can this thing go bad .. ?
... can I get one from a junk yard ?

.. should I just scrape the rejection sticker off and go somewhere else and see if I pass ? ...

..of course the next place migt find some worse stuff .. but I bet if I go back to the first place the guy won't look at the rejection sticker to see if it is the same one he put on ... of course there might be a certain number the check ...

..am I cheap and broke ? .. yes ...

.. and lastly .. is this if unfixed is it going to cause my tire to bust off and have me collide with a church bus full of Nuns ?
A. Many Ways.

B. You could.. but i tend to like my steering parts new.. its just something you really dont want to chance....

C. Different shops could give you different answers.. (whered you go the first time??) Dealership tried to hit me for everything under the sun on my truck... Firestone only cared about my tires and the seat belts (which hadnt worked in the 10 years ive had it hmmm.) but changes in the inspection laws have made it so that if you take it back to the same place the same guy has to re-inspect it... and they keep that in the computer...

D. Know how you feel... took pretty much a $800 to get mine to pass this year...

E. puncture a tire.. nahh... let it go 90* sideways while going down the road possibly... with a total loss of control... idler arms really arent all that much... and like i said if you want help i got the tools and can help you...

personally im surprised your still running a linkage setup though... i woulda thought they would have converted over to rack and pinion set up by now...

Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
MissIndependent
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take it to merchant's on holland near rosemont...ask for mike, and tell him i sent you. $100 labor at the shop--he looked it up just now, and it's an hour job.

or he will do it on the side for $50 if you bring him the part (he says cheaper that way). you can take the part to the shop too. he said it is only a few bolts and not too hard to do yourself, but then again he is a professional lol

still got my number? i think i have yours

Old 09-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by MissIndependent
still got my number? i think i have yours
i know hes got mine .. and i got all the tools from when i use to do it...

Old 09-07-2011, 07:59 PM
MissIndependent
Posting Guru
also he says many inspectors will look more closely if you don't have a sticker at all...you've obviously failed already and there's something for them to sell you on your vehicle. better leave it!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
also he says many inspectors will look more closely if you don't have a sticker at all...you've obviously failed already and there's something for them to sell you on your vehicle. better leave it!
thats very true...

Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Blue Chevy
Senior User
yes leave it. when i get cars in without a sticker i know theyve takein the rejection off an ill pull out the book an a fine tooth comb. never **** with an inspector. an the worst thing anyone could ever do is tell the inspector that their car is in great shape n nothing is wrong and itll pass... i can guarantee i can find something lol. i deal with this **** everyday. im not an ******* but if you **** with me ill **** you back.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 PM
MissIndependent
Posting Guru
on the flip side though, inspections don't pay worth a darn unless either they can be failed for something or the owner can be talked into something beneficial if not necessary. this is why i only trust two mechanics in the world!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Blue Chevy
Senior User
but like she said if ya want come up to my shop an ill replace it.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
on the flip side though, inspections don't pay worth a darn unless either they can be failed for something or the owner can be talked into something beneficial if not necessary. this is why i only trust two mechanics in the world!
yeah like the one that told me i needed new Shoes for the rear brakes cuz they were so worn.. and werent even a week old... had replaced them 3 days prior because my axle end shaft seals leaked saturating them...

Old 09-09-2011, 10:06 PM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
... I looked up what an Idler arm actually is ... ya know a picture and such ...

,, Man it only has 3 bolts .. my question now is ... can I run my truck up on some ramps to get under it .. then do I have to jack the tire as well to
get a certain relief ? ..

Now for some Gibson SG music ... by me .. CLICK PIC

Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
... I looked up what an Idler arm actually is ... ya know a picture and such ...

,, Man it only has 3 bolts .. my question now is ... can I run my truck up on some ramps to get under it .. then do I have to jack the tire as well to
get a certain relief ? ..
use a jack and cinderblocks to support the truck off your suspention.. or if you have em use jack stands... if you leave the suspention compressed and under tension your going to have a hard time getting the steering linkage to mate back together again... can be done.. but just harder.. like i said man.. if you want you can come over here and ill help you do it..

Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 AM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
.. Thanks .. I got a few small jobs I am going to do and then buy the part ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I replace an Idler Arm