2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just need a little more HP for Towing??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 PM
bigblackmachine
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I just need a little more HP for Towing??

I just need a little more HP for towing my 10000 lb-11000 lb loaded trailer, with my 04' F-150 5.4. My manual says that my towing limit is around 9500 lb's. A supercharger & or turbo setup is too much extra power for me, so are LT headers, a tune, & a Mott's modification to my intake all I would need?
Thanks for any ideas, as many heads are a whole lot better than one.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
TallEddie-1981
New User
Hmmm where to start. First, you are going to receive a lot of opinions telling you to not tow that much weight with your truck. The tow limit listed in the manual takes into account many factors, not just HP.

HP and torque are important for getting the load moving, however, the most important factors that limit tow capacity are the hitch, suspension and brake components.

These components allow you to tow that load SAFELY! The factory hitch, brakes and suspension are NOT sufficient to safely tow an 11K trailer. At a minimum the tongue weight would be 1100 lbs which already exceeds the limits of the factory hitch. If there is any cargo in the truck, plus the weight of the driver and any passengers and you are probably fairly close to the GAWR.

To answer your original question, in my opinion torque is more important than HP for towing, changing the gears will probably get more pulling power than any upgrades to increase HP.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I fully agree with what TallEddie is saying. You don't need more HP and TQ...YOU NEED MORE TRUCK!!!!

10k+lbs with a F150 is just plain stupid, unsafe, and you are a liability for everyone else you encounter on the road. I think that you seriously need to consider doing one of the two following items:
1. Take a long look at what you are towing, and do you really need to tow that much weight. If you can get the weight to 9k or below, then sure you'll be ok, but at the upper limits of what the truck will SAFELY handle.
2. Upgrade to a F250 or F350 and tow whatever you want in the 10k-15klbs range.

Please don't tow near 10k or more with the F150...for the sake of those around you.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 AM
papasmurf40
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the above posts and would, if it was me towing that load all the time, look for a diesel pickup to tow it. What i would recommend you do is go to the f250/350/450/550 forum here and some of the other forums and ask around and see what they recommend as to what kind of truck and the setup they recommend

Old 09-07-2011, 12:27 PM
bigblackmachine
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
I fully agree with what TallEddie is saying. You don't need more HP and TQ...YOU NEED MORE TRUCK!!!!

10k+lbs with a F150 is just plain stupid, unsafe, and you are a liability for everyone else you encounter on the road. I think that you seriously need to consider doing one of the two following items:
1. Take a long look at what you are towing, and do you really need to tow that much weight. If you can get the weight to 9k or below, then sure you'll be ok, but at the upper limits of what the truck will SAFELY handle.
2. Upgrade to a F250 or F350 and tow whatever you want in the 10k-15klbs range.

Please don't tow near 10k or more with the F150...for the sake of those around you.
Thank you MCDavis for your realistic, straightforward & blunt statements reguarding my dilemma. You really got my attention. After scarring the pants off me, which I really do appreciate, I definatelly wouldn't want to endanger anybody's else's safety, including myself, & I will upgrade to a F250-F350 as recommended. Fortunatelly for me, I have the funds to do so. This is the first truck I have ever owned, so I don't have a lot of knowledge about trucks & towing, & I'm thankful for people like you & other's on this forum, to give their honest & forceful opinions. You all probably stoped an accident in the making. Let me buy you guys a beer or two!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bigblackmachine
Thank you MCDavis for your realistic, straightforward & blunt statements reguarding my dilemma. You really got my attention. After scarring the pants off me, which I really do appreciate, I definatelly wouldn't want to endanger anybody's else's safety, including myself, & I will upgrade to a F250-F350 as recommended. Fortunatelly for me, I have the funds to do so. This is the first truck I have ever owned, so I don't have a lot of knowledge about trucks & towing, & I'm thankful for people like you & other's on this forum, to give their honest & forceful opinions. You all probably stoped an accident in the making. Let me buy you guys a beer or two!
If only my wife would listen to me as well!

Seriously though...you're making the right move by going bigger. I'm a whole hearted believer in that I'd rather have too much truck that is more than enough to get the job done, than to have too little truck and be an endangerment to myself, my family, and those around me.

Good luck with the upgrade. FYI, you don't have to step into diesel. The 6.8L V10 is a stout powerplant. Sure the mileage sucks (about 12mpg empty usually) but it's a lower buy in, and lower cost to maintain. It'll also tow your 10-11k lbs load without much problem.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 PM
bigblackmachine
Freshman User
If only my wife would listen to me as well! Seriously though...you're making the right move by going bigger. I'm a whole hearted believer in that I'd rather have too much truck that is more than enough to get the job done, than to have too little truck and be an endangerment to myself, my family, and those around me.

Good luck with the upgrade. FYI, you don't have to step into diesel. The 6.8L V10 is a stout powerplant. Sure the mileage sucks (about 12mpg empty usually) but it's a lower buy in, and lower cost to maintain. It'll also tow your 10-11k lbs load without much problem.
Well my wife doesn't listen to me either, & on top of that she never tells me she wished she had listened to me when I "was" right!
I won't have to tow my rig for quite a while yet, so I will have plenty of time to research these different towing rigs, & thanks for the suggestion of the 6.8 V10, a rig I have barely heard of for towing purposes until now.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:28 PM
papasmurf40
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing is if you are buying new i don't think the V10 is available in the 250/350 anymore but a 6.2 liter V8. I've heard its a great engine, powerful and gets better gas mileage than the V10

Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pop over into the super duty section of the forums though guys will help to lead you down the right path when looking for your new truck. Personally I think I would look into the 7.2 powerstroke diesel if I was going F-250. But since you have time review your options and find what fits you best. Good luck!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:34 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
I towed a 16000lb trailer with mine 300 miles without issue. Had no problems with it. I have added leaf springs, and am in the process of getting new shocks... I also have trailer brakes. It is all based on how you load the trailer. If you can load the trailer so that the trailer is doing all the work, and the truck is only pulling it'll do fine... DO NOT USE OVER DRIVE when pulling that much weight.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:59 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ChrisCarter
I towned a 16000lb trailer with mine 300 miles without issue. Had no problems with it. I have added leaf springs, and am in the process of getting new shocks... I also have trailer brakes. It is all based on how you load the trailer. If you can load the trailer so that the trailer is doing all the work, and the truck is only pulling it'll do fine... DO NOT USE OVER DRIVE when pulling that much weight.
16k lbs huh?

Anyone smell anything? I smell something...anyone else catch a wiff?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
16k lbs huh?

Anyone smell anything? I smell something...anyone else catch a wiff?
No I am serious... We own a farm, and a seed warehouse. I hauled a 24ft trailer loaded with seed the weight 16k.... Don't be name calling because I am from Kentucky... and I know one thing I've seen more weight then that on things that it should of never been put on.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't smell anything as I have pushed the limits way pass on my truck but I can tell you this just because it did once I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. True if you load it correctly then the trip will go better but not everyone knows how to load a trailer correctly and that's when something happens and people die. I used to run EMS for about 11 years and I saw it too often even from tractor trailers that were overloaded or loaded incorrectly. Just not worth the risk.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 PM
TwinSkrewd
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ChrisCarter
I towed a 16000lb trailer with mine 300 miles without issue. Had no problems with it. I have added leaf springs, and am in the process of getting new shocks... I also have trailer brakes. It is all based on how you load the trailer. If you can load the trailer so that the trailer is doing all the work, and the truck is only pulling it'll do fine... DO NOT USE OVER DRIVE when pulling that much weight.
One more reason to not buy a used truck. You never how badly the truck was abused by a farmer in Kentucky.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Originally Posted by TwinSkrewd
One more reason to not buy a used truck. You never how badly the truck was abused by a farmer in Kentucky.
Bet your *** my truck is in better shape then a lot of peoples here. I make enough cash to keep my **** serviced. If you buy a truck from me it'll have records and will have no wore out parts. However we don't sell our trucks here we keep them. My friend uses his truck even more then me he's got 233k it's a 05.

Quick Reply: I just need a little more HP for Towing??