Sponsored by: Moser

Phil's 1979 Ford F250 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 AM
2002fx4122
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome thread!

I too have a build thread here somewhere but when I'm going to school 50 miles away from my home and truck I only work on it on weekend nights because I'm hunting during the day. One of the last things to be done with my body is paint the underside of the bed, Its all cleaned up I just need to get the time to properly paint it

Old 10-12-2011, 06:38 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Quacksalvar
teds74ford -But I must shamefully admit you hit the nail on the head, I did paint in only one direction. Way to rub salt in my wound.
Haha! Wasn't trying to call you out. I just wanted to be sure you knew about technique. I put an average of 7 coats on the truck by my username all with a spray can, so I have LOTS of rattle can practice

Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Rich Halsey
Freshman User

Great Read! Look forward to following your build.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Quacksalvar
Junior User
Its been a while since I've found time to do some work on my truck......this is a mortal sin, and no worries, I have already been punished for it.

Earlier, I had been flushing the radiator and cooling lines to get it all cleaned out, I had left water in there since the last time I was working on the truck. Well, last week Thursday, it was going to dip well below freezing. I had to flush drain the water and add antifreeze to it before it'd crack my block.

Of course I waited to the last second.

Of course it was very cold and 8:00pm at night.

Of course it was the day before my wife had surgery.

All I had to do was drain some water and fill up a radiator with antifreeze. Then run the truck for a while to get it mixed up and circulated. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes right?

First, I drained the radiator. The stopcock launched out and fell somewhere in the dark. I thought I'd heard it land in my drain pan. So picture this..............picture a man in black shoes, pressed black dress slacks, button-up shirt rolled up fishing in a drain pan filled with radiator fluid for a small stopcock. Did I mention this fluid was below freezing, literally?

I thought I'd found it when I saw something dark at the bottom of the pan with my flashlight, so I went for it. Turns out, it wasn't a stopcock. Just a frozen dead mouse, in my hand. Nice.

I found the stopcock under the truck 10 minutes later. Wasn't even in the drain pan. FAIL.

Got the radiator filled and went to start the truck. Of course, nothing happened, it wouldn't spark. Not even with some starter fluid. Checked it with timing belt, no signal. Tested wires, they all seemed decent. Guessed it could have been the ignition module. I remembered I'd seen one behind my seat in the cab. It had sat there so long the seal had melted into the carpet, had to pry it off the carpet with a screwdriver. Nonetheless, we attached it and tried it out. Sure enough, she fired right up. Success!

5 minutes later, we ran out of fuel and had none setting around. FAIL.

After getting fuel, we let the stuff circulate, packed it up and turned down for the night finally. Almost 2 hours later.

In a nutshell, I played with a dead mouse in fishy smelling liquid, found a part when I actually needed it, and returned home to an angry wife (who would have been much angrier if I had ruined my dress clothes of course). I'm not sure the day was a success or a failure.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wife's Rule #2191 states that thou shall not go near any project truck or the facility in which such project is being stored wearing any clothing that has been deemed nonperishable by said "wife".

Isn't it weird the places that Permatex ends up other than on your fingers or a rag? (Like hair, crotch or carpeting)

Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 PM
RunninD
Senior User
You forgot the random gob of grease that winds up on the shower wall!!! She tunred into this =>

Got my roof lights up and running!! Although she didn't seem as happy about it as I felt???

Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 PM
wyckedcombo17
Posting Guru
Nice work, and nice words dude. This threads a real great read! You and grinnergetter remind me of each other, maybe its the green trucks?

Anyway, keep up the good work, and keep us all laughing

Old 11-21-2011, 11:18 PM
supercabfreak
Elder User
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Isn't it weird the places that Permatex ends up other than on your fingers or a rag? (Like hair, crotch or carpeting)
hahahahahaha when i read this i exploded laughing! just today i came home and i was asked why i had "coulk" (rtv to my folks) on the crotch of my pants

Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Well duhhhh. trying to stop the leak. Everyone knows that.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM
wodges
New User
Smile

hey Guys, I really enjoy reading this post. I have a green/jade 1978 f250 4x4 with the original 400 rebuilt and the 4 speed manual transmission which I started rebuilding 8 years ago. Had to stop while I went back for more schooling and when I returned to my truck, my truck account was empty. My wife found the box of receipts, fortunately she doesn't have a shoe fetish. No, I didn't get off that easy. My truck runs and drives, even had it on the road for a month. Finally had to park it again. So I crank it up on the weekends and drive around the property. I bought the truck in 1980 and it was awesome looking back then. SHE will be again.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Quacksalvar
Junior User
I don't know why our wives care so much about our clothes. I mean people pay $100 plus to buy pants with holes in them. I just rather put holes in them myself.

Furthermore, who wouldn't want auto fluid stained pants? I think it sounds like the next trend. We should be millionaires.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Seriously honey...."do I dress like I care"

Old 11-23-2011, 09:01 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I have one of my boys trained in the art of pant trashing. He's doing an excellent job because I got in trouble with Mom.

Oil pan was nice and clean, pants didn't fair very well.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:45 PM
77flh
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This build is awesome as well as everyone's take on clothing and permatex. And don't forget about anti-seize, it too migrates to areas it shouldn't...

Old 11-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Quacksalvar
Junior User
Wodges, I sure hope you continue to work on and revive your green beast back to its previous glory!

As for the parts receipts, how could you have let them fallen into your wife's hands?! Critical error! My wife would probably murder me, and I haven't barely begun yet......

Alas, I am also ridiculously **** about documenting the things I've bought and spent money on the truck. Mine is typed, and saved in an excel spreadsheet as "basic_blackjack_strategy.xls", something she'd never dare click on.

WIN.

Quick Reply: Phil's 1979 Ford F250 Build