6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lift Kit vs Level Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 PM
jmcquarry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Kit vs Level Kit

I have a 2011 F350 4x4 Diesel and would like to gain approximately 2-3 inches in height and continue using the factory 20 inch wheels (merely for looks). The local shop recommends a Level Kit using spacers on the springs. I don't want to sacrafice the ride quality due to the fact it is a daily driver. I also may be pulling a fifth wheel in the near future. I don't mind doing it right and forking out whatever funds are needed, however, the truck doesn't climb rocks and I am somewhat opposed to replacing items needlessly, any thoughts?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I do not believe that a 2" level will change the ride at all as long as the required caster adjustment is made?? I know little about this but search for a thread by EpicCowlick about "2" level kit installed" or something like that. There is a lot of info in there. There are a few 2" level threads here.

If you want to dramatically improve the ride on road / off roand AND towing I would suggest the Carli Pintop King 2.5 suspension system. I love mine. It is 4.5" front and 2.5" rear lift with king shock. It's a bit preicey but well worth every penny IMHO.

Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by darren32
I do not believe that a 2" level will change the ride at all as long as the required caster adjustment is made?? I know little about this but search for a thread by EpicCowlick about "2" level kit installed" or something like that. There is a lot of info in there. There are a few 2" level threads here.

If you want to dramatically improve the ride on road / off roand AND towing I would suggest the Carli Pintop King 2.5 suspension system. I love mine. It is 4.5" front and 2.5" rear lift with king shock. It's a bit preicey but well worth every penny IMHO.

Thanks
Like Darren said, the Carli is a premium setup and pricey. I spent some time at the King suspension booth at the SEMA show and their products are first rate. For those who don't want to spend the coin, there's other options.

I used a kit from AutoSpringCorp.com out of Boise, ID. It's simple, solid and cheap which fits my requirements perfectly. I did it purely for aesthetic reasons. My truck is now 43 inches ground to fender in the front and 44 in the back. A slight rake which I like. Here's a couple of things I learned:

- The kit says no alignment is required and technically it is true. It's not absolutely required but necessary in my opinion. By raising the front end the steering geometry changes the caster angle to effectively zero. The result is a "loosey" steering feel and wandering on the highway. This is easily fixed by adding back caster angle via bushing. You have to go beyond the factory spec because of the additional height. Restoring to factory settings would not be enough. A good alignment shop will be all over this and a bad shop will really screw things up. In fact, a good shop will consult with you and help you really tweak the front end to your driving preferences. It can have a huge impact on your overall driving experience so it's worth doing your homework and paying a little bit more.

- The little lift will also have the effect of actually shifting the entire front axle to the driver's side about a half an inch. Some guys correct this by adding new adjustable track bar but I found this is just not necessary. It's very difficult to see by looking at it and it is easily corrected in the alignment. It's a personal preference thing.

- Installation of the AutoSpring spacers is very easy but you need to make sure you have very tall jack stands. You have to raise the truck WAY up to allow the front axle to drop enough to remove the coils. It's only a few bolts but you just need to make sure you're ready for it. Once the truck is up on jack stands under the frame, you support the front axle with a jack and disconnect the necessary bolts. Then you just lower the axle until the springs simply slide out. Insert the spacer on the top of the spring and lift the axle back up. Very fast and easy.

- Once the level is in, you need to adjust the headlights down a touch. Again, very easy with a long phillips screwdriver behind each headlight.

Bottom line is I love the look of leveled trucks. But be aware that when you start messing with a highly tuned suspension like the coil suspended front axle, you need to be aware of the effects and correct them. A lot of guys will do these things and not complete the job and have a poor driving experience with the truck for years. That is just not necessary and easily accommodated.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed the 2.5 front / 2.0 rear lift from readylift. My truck has plow prep so it ended up being an overall lift in the front of 3 inches and 2 inches in the rear making the truck set level at 44" from the ground to fender. Price was reasonable and overall works great. I went with the stage 2 kit (no drop track bar bracket) to save some money ($200). The drop track bar bracket would be nice but really isn't necessary. Axle is shifted to drivers side 1/4"-3/8" and is hardly noticeable, even if you're really looking for it.

I have not realigned the front end (yet) and honestly can't tell a difference in driving it, even on the interstate. I'll probably end up getting a track bar bracket (watch for a cheaper one on ebay) and have the front end aligned then. We'll see how everything works out in the meantime.

I'm pleased with how everything went together and installation was a breeze.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:41 AM
jmcquarry
Senior User
Epic, thanks for the comprehensive answer!
Darren and Andrew, thanks so much for your comments!
I will surely incorporate your exeriences and advice when making any modifications, I would have eventually made the proper modifications, however, lots of trial and error and most likely lots of wasted $$ and frustration..............

Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Sorry, I know I have posted this vid before but IMHO it is good (and true) advertising. If you are considering a complete suspensions system you should at least consider Carli.

Thanks
Ford Super Duty Performance by Carli Suspension - YouTube

Old 11-22-2011, 01:09 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

I installed the AutoSpringCorp.com 2" level kit this past Saturday...it went in in under 2 hours...As Epic says, have very large jack stands available, you have to raise the truck to where the tires clear the ground by 4 or 5 inches...this will allow you to remove the springs relatively easy...Got the front end aligned yesterday, and the truck rides great...Oh one thing, I have the 18" oem wheels... I will be towing the TT this Friday, we'll see how she behaves.

Good Luck.......

Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 PM
thejean
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Readylift stage 3 looks awesome and rides great. Zero issues. Easy install even for a first-time truck owner.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with darren32. I did the carli system 2.0. One step below the pin top he did. My ride and handling are WAY better than stock. I also went with 3 steering stabilizers. Carli high mount antd dual icon low mount.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 AM
jmcquarry
Senior User
Red face Carli

Originally Posted by 7.399
I'm with darren32. I did the carli system 2.0. One step below the pin top he did. My ride and handling are WAY better than stock. I also went with 3 steering stabilizers. Carli high mount antd dual icon low mount.
Viewed the system online, looks very nice, although there are two concerns, I would like to retain the original wheels and tires (for now), I have the aluminum 20" wheels, would this be appropriate, second, I had back surgery a couple weeks ago (ruptured disk), not able to personally do the install, anyone have a shop do the install and what is a fair price?

Old 11-23-2011, 10:53 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by jmcquarry
Viewed the system online, looks very nice, although there are two concerns, I would like to retain the original wheels and tires (for now), I have the aluminum 20" wheels, would this be appropriate, second, I had back surgery a couple weeks ago (ruptured disk), not able to personally do the install, anyone have a shop do the install and what is a fair price?

I do not think there would be any issues with retaining the stock wheels and tires?? They may look "small" but I have not seen a pic of a lifted truck with stock tires. It may look just fine.

I paid a shop I trust about $1,000.00 to do the install but I believe SGT93 had his installed for about 1/2 that.

Thanks

Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Original wheels and tires would look goofy as chit!!! But again, to each their own!! The Carli kit rock by the way.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also, I paid just under a grand to have the lift, AMP steps, fender flared and wheels/tired and alignment installed. That is CHEAP!! Most places are well over a grand for just the lift kit alone. Matt @ Attitude Performance is amazing!!

Old 11-23-2011, 01:12 PM
jmcquarry
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sgt93
Original wheels and tires would look goofy as chit!!! But again, to each their own!! The Carli kit rock by the way.
Haaaaa, after I thought about it I realized how stupid that was, its just that I like the original wheel design and hate to trash the wheels and tires with less than 3500 miles on them. However, even if it didn't look like "1970's Black Converse basketball shoes on Michael Jordan" the offset on the factory wheels tuck the tire in too much! May wind up waiting on the lift till I use up some of the tires or try to sell them,,,,or, possibly do a 2" level with new shocks that I can utilize with a lift down the road,,,however, probably won't be able to install the proper shocks without the lift,,,dam.............................

Old 11-23-2011, 01:18 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by jmcquarry
Haaaaa, after I thought about it I realized how stupid that was, its just that I like the original wheel design and hate to trash the wheels and tires with less than 3500 miles on them. However, even if it didn't look like "1970's Black Converse basketball shoes on Michael Jordan" the offset on the factory wheels tuck the tire in too much! May wind up waiting on the lift till I use up some of the tires or try to sell them,,,,or, possibly do a 2" level with new shocks that I can utilize with a lift down the road,,,however, probably won't be able to install the proper shocks without the lift,,,dam.............................
Too bad! I kinda wanted to see what it would look like

I saw a 6.7 the other day with stock 20's (all stock) but with bushwacker 2" flares. The tires were about 3" inboard of the flares. Functional I guess but to me that looked REALLY goofy (sorry if anyone has that combo)

Quick Reply: Lift Kit vs Level Kit