Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Thoughts on CORDED 1/2" drive impacts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thoughts on CORDED 1/2" drive impacts?

I just started doing mobile mechanic work as a side job, I've used a corded impact once before putting a transfer case yoke back on thought it was neat, that was 2 years ago.

now that im working outside of a shop im thinking my best friend for taking wheels off quickly and doing whatever else would be a corded 1/2" drive impact and a extension cord?

please share your thoughts whether good or bad i was thinking about buying the dewalt 1/2" or kobalt 1/2" drive from lowes dewalt is around 179 and kobalt is around $150 I am spoiled by my ingersol pneumatic tools but cant bring a compressor everywhere I go, this corded tool option seems to be much easier

they both say they create around 350 pounds of torque

Old 09-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I would look into either an engine driven compressor or a cordless impact. I used a Snap-On cordless impact for a while that was quite nice.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:00 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
engine driven compressors out of my price range, I dont think a cordless impact will have as much torque as a corded one

Old 09-03-2011, 11:08 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
ooh edit, this actually catches my eye

Makita BTW450Z 18V LXT 1/2 in. Impact Wrench (Tool Only)-BTW450Z at The Home Depot

because I already have other makita tools of this model group so I have the nice batteries and charger, think I'm going to buy it this coming weeks any opinions? I wonder how true that 325 torque number is

Old 09-04-2011, 06:37 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I've used a Porter Cable corded impact wrench to drive lag bolts all day sometimes in my carpentry work.
But the 6626 is only rated at 265 foot pounds.
It is solidly built and does it without a hiccup.
A battery tool wouldn't last 10 minutes running continuously, but you have a different situation.

Re: the Makita 450Z. The worst that can happen is that it fails and you have to return it.
Give it a try, sounds ideal for you!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a Milwaukee corded 1/2 impact wrench. It supposedly puts out somewhere around 300 lbs of torque. In reality...I wind up using a breaker bar to get anything loose that's in that ballpark. For your intended use (lug nuts), it would be perfect though. That thing really makes rotating a set of tires a quick/easy job. I've gotten a lot of use from it over the years (I got it as a gift six years ago).

If you go with a battery powered impact wrench, I'd pick up an extra battery. Just my $.02.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:07 AM
wdfp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a dewalt 18V 1/2" cordless impact wrench and it does lug nuts just fine! Unless they are considerably overtightened its no problem to spin them right off. Got mine for about 200 probably because they are NiCad batteries..
Its a big wrench and works well..

Old 09-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I recently picked up a used engine driven compressor for $325, and have seen quite a few others go in the $200-$500 range.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:28 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
thanks for all the responses guys!

I'm going to hunt on craigslist for a engine driven compressor for a bit, since I have already so many air tools it would be nice to bring them all around.

If I cannot find one in my price range I think I'm going to buy the cordless makita one I'll keep you all posted!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:57 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I have a Mac air impact, and currently a harbor Freight corded impact. Even the Mac doesn't break 300 foot pound loose, needs a kick start, IE breaker bar. (It is rated for 280 or 350, don't remember, bought it new about 20 year ago)However, the convenience of just grabbing an extension cord and working vs having to drag the air compressor to the place I need to work is a big plus. Not everything makes it to the shop door to be worked on. For portable, and with a good enough inverter, I think it wold work fine. I got the HF impact just to see how much it would be worth to me, and once I can't get it replaced under warranty, I will be looking to upgrade. It has been well worth it.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
that was my original thought, it would be so much easier to just plug in a cord rather than air up the compressor, I have a generator to carry too, but then saw the cordless impact and since I already have batteries im thinking thats the way to go, looked on CL today for a gas driven compressor and dont want to spend as much as people are asking

Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 18" long Snap-on ½" breaker bar and sets of ½" Deep well sockets in both SAE and Metric sizes.
I also have a 2' cheater pipe for extra leverage.
If you add my mass to the end of the lever there is little I can not loosen.
I have no idea of the actual amount of foot pounds I can apply but I am certain that it is well over 500'#.
Once the lug nuts are loose a 4-way does the trick.
The breaker bar I got for $5 at a pawn shop.
The cheater pipe was free.
The socket sets I bought at Sears on a Black Friday for $20 a set.
Total with tax is less than $50.
No dead batteries. Works in a pouring rain.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:16 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by shorebird
I have a 18" long Snap-on ½" breaker bar and sets of ½" Deep well sockets in both SAE and Metric sizes.
I also have a 2' cheater pipe for extra leverage.
If you add my mass to the end of the lever there is little I can not loosen.
I have no idea of the actual amount of foot pounds I can apply but I am certain that it is well over 500'#.
Once the lug nuts are loose a 4-way does the trick.
The breaker bar I got for $5 at a pawn shop.
The cheater pipe was free.
The socket sets I bought at Sears on a Black Friday for $20 a set.
Total with tax is less than $50.
No dead batteries. Works in a pouring rain.
very good way to approach this, I think im just trying to spoil myself with a new tool haha

Old 11-23-2011, 09:56 AM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I use manual tools to break torque then my Milwaukee 28V for removal and installation. It's fast and great for junkyard work. An inverter will feed the Milwaukee charger nicely for mobile work.

No cords, no hoses, no problem, and I've abused Milwaukee 28V tools (grinder, Sawzall, impact, drill, circular saw) for several years with great results. They paid for themselves long ago.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 PM
lxlmariuslxl
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Older thread but thought I would share my input. I have the dewalt 1/2 corded impact works good for removing lug nuts but I always go back and check the lugs afterwords when installing, doesnt seem to tighten up as well as it loosens. But as said before beats putting out the air compressor. I really want the snap on cordless impact....when I get the cash extra.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on CORDED 1/2" drive impacts?