Sponsored by: Moser

Dash Bezel silver trim how to

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteisright
dont think any of that applies to me. the tape deck that was in it was full size, nothing was in the way. i think i have some cutting to do, i also need a new bezel because theres only 2 screws that hold it on, all the other screws broke through.

also, can someone tell me what the blue wire with red stripe is for? you can see it cut and stripped in the picture.
Wouldn't it be easier to start a new thread. Also do a search for a the wiring diagram. There's a couple on here to download.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:04 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great! I've been wanting to repaint my trim since it's pretty faded out. Thanks for posting this!

Also, what steering wheel are you using?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:23 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe
Looks great! I've been wanting to repaint my trim since it's pretty faded out. Thanks for posting this!

It's a grant 3 spoke in brushed stainless.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe

Check post #24

Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by co425
It's a grant 3 spoke in brushed stainless.
Thanks! That is a really nice looking wheel...

Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM
TexinCali
Senior User
I know it's old but at least I used the search feature

I used the silver leaf pen trick and it looked pretty good until installed metal/chrome glove box trim now the plastic looks out of place. What was the factory set up were they ever both metal? seems unlikely based on the configuration of the gauge bezel.

Any one have a good solution to this? chrome tape maybe?

Thanks!!

Old 12-10-2012, 02:22 PM
74 F350 SCS
Elder User
Originally Posted by TexinCali
I know it's old but at least I used the search feature

I used the silver leaf pen trick and it looked pretty good until installed metal/chrome glove box trim now the plastic looks out of place. What was the factory set up were they ever both metal? seems unlikely based on the configuration of the gauge bezel.

Any one have a good solution to this? chrome tape maybe?

Thanks!!
I have a Ranger XLT and the trim on the glove box was in mint condition. The dash bezel was in "good" condition but not as nice I'd like it. I ordered a 1/4" roll and a 1/8" roll of chrome tape. Took the bezel off, cleaned it real good, cleaned the areas with rubbing alcohol and then applied the chrome tape. Used a very sharp exacto knife to trim. You almost can not tell that it is not factory. If you are staring, close up, you can see certain trim flaws but otherwise, it looks perfect. I also used the chrome tape to "restore" the plastic chrome that is found on the bottom of the XLT door panels. Perfect. It takes a little time and patience but the cost of the tape and exacto knife is nothing.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Canus
Senior User
OK, gotta ask. Where did you order the chrome tape from?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM
TexinCali
Senior User
Thanks 74 F350 I was hoping some one had tried it!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM
74 F350 SCS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Canus
OK, gotta ask. Where did you order the chrome tape from?
I bought both rolls off of Ebay for minimal. I don't recall the amount nor the vendor but I just did a quick search on Ebay under "Chrome tape" and several come up. Looks like 1/4" x 50' is about $8 includes shipping. Like I said, I did 1/8" for some of the narrow parts and 1/4" for the other parts. I did this almost exactly 1 year ago and and none of it has peeled up yet. Warning...it does test your patience a little because it's sticky, and tedious. I did small 2-3" sections at a time, removing the backing, and then applied. Some very sharp scissors and exacto knife really help to be precise.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Gater180
Senior User
thanks for the thread! I was considering masking then spraying the trim argent silver, probably would have worked but this would be a lot quicker, and looks just as nice!

Old 12-16-2014, 05:47 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Gater180
thanks for the thread! I was considering masking then spraying the trim argent silver, probably would have worked but this would be a lot quicker, and looks just as nice!
Your welcome. You brought the thread back from the dead.

I did the same with the dash I built for my cummins. On this one I sprayed the whole bezel with rustoleum plastic paint and the. Added the silver leafing pen to the edges.

Throw up pics of yours when you get it all done.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Gater180
Senior User
will do sir thank you

Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old thread yes. Great idea yes. Me too yes!

I went the pen route and got mine from Hobby Lobby. My results were not perfect but much better than it was before. I might go over it again as there a few places where if you look close you can see some imperfections. I only applied one coat. I really like how it matches the original color / shade too. I think it took me a whopping 15 minutes to do the whole thing and that included cleaning it.

I changed out my cluster too and repainted the needles and swapped out the bulbs for the LED kit. When combine with the new head unit, sucker looks pretty good. I'll need to take some pictures.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:14 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by KIKKUP
Old thread yes. Great idea yes. Me too yes!

I went the pen route and got mine from Hobby Lobby. My results were not perfect but much better than it was before. I might go over it again as there a few places where if you look close you can see some imperfections. I only applied one coat. I really like how it matches the original color / shade too. I think it took me a whopping 15 minutes to do the whole thing and that included cleaning it.

I changed out my cluster too and repainted the needles and swapped out the bulbs for the LED kit. When combine with the new head unit, sucker looks pretty good. I'll need to take some pictures.

Both of mine I did two coats. That second coat seems to hide the brush marks if you will.

Hell yes throw up some pics.

Quick Reply: Dash Bezel silver trim how to