Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Freshman User

Xtra8ball is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile f150 rocker arms

Put new push rods in and got 9of the 12 rocker arms .3 of them won't tighten but bolt tightened up but the rocker still loose tried everything.... Need to get than on
Old 09-03-2011, 03:31 AM
lost

Chris56ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
From what I can gather from your post, you changed push-rods and 3 of the rocker arms are loose? To try and help you out here, I need some more information.

How long has the motor sat with out being ran?
How many miles?
Did you make sure to get the right length push-rods?

Couple things could be going on, too short of push-rods or 3 drained (collapsed) lifters.

Why were you replacing the push-rods?
-1997 F-350 XLT 4x4,7.3 PSD,ZF5,225,000 miles,6637 intake,SD 7.3 Intercooler,F5 DP-Tuner chip,3" DP,4" Diamond Eye exhaust,EBPV delete,IH bellowed up-pipes,Riffraff Billet Wheel,1.0 turbo housing,Southbend SMF/clutch kit,Autometer gauges,6.0 fan.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Freshman User

Found to exhust push rods out and some one toldme to replace all of them why I was that far took old push rod with me to match up length...
Old 09-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Posting Guru

timbersteel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.timbersteel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I agree with perhaps a collasped lifter. If you got all new pushrods in a new package, there shouldn't be a problem except for perhaps a collasped lifter.

Are you using a good torque wrench? On these rocker arms, you should be dialed between 18 and 22 ft. lbs. of torque. When setting each rocker arm, you should find TDC for #1 cylinder and start from there. When you get #1 cylinders' intake and exhaust valve to close, that is where you should torque each rocker arm down. Then progress in sequence with your engines' firing order. You should be no more than 22 lbs for each rocker arm.

Also, try to clear up your post with some punctation and direction. I only offer that since it can be confusing to understand statements that may offer information concerning "why, how, when, what" something is if other member's cannot get a clear understanding of your problem.
"These ideas, evaluations, opinions are representations of real-life scenarios and backed by Murphy's Law..."
"Inferior parts lead to immediate failure sooner than later..."
Old 09-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Freshman User

Dont have a York driver I was told to just tighten them tight then it would adjust it self..
Old 09-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Freshman User

How docheck for number one compression...there's exhust rods then the other one must be for firing.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Freshman User

I figured out how to tighten thirsting push rod bolts like you said but when I turn the motor ny hand to do the next one others come loose the rocker that is can't find the pounds ofpressure I need I'm gonna have to het. Torque wrench but news to no right pounds per inch or pounds per pressure...
Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Freshman User

Ok I put the intake back on and ran the truck push rods were working all cylenders was fine .but when I put the oil pan back on and manifold put everthing back together.started the truck and engine runs hihhigh and here a chattering noise won't idle down have all sensores plug in just don't understand.......
Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1996, 2007, 289, 49, arm, arms, f150, ford, located, loose, rocker, setting, tighten, torque, truck problems, types