Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Projects
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Freshman User

Feets is starting off with a positive reputation.
'77 F250 4x4 build

I wanted to call this thread "building a truck out of junk nobody wants" but I thought I better keep it simple/ easy to understand.
I have always liked the old ford trucks, I wanted a 4x4 to work on and take on some of the moutain trails around here. I have built and swaped engines in the past, and i have some fabrication experience. I really wanted to do a frame off build up. Overhual everything, paint it, build it strong.
What I have is a 77 f250 4x4 crewcab chassis and drivetrain, the PO wanted the cab for his 2wd cc restoration project. I got a cab and clip from a 78 standard cab to put on it. For now I plan on building some sort of flat bed. the second pick is backwards truck!
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...9/IMG_0950.jpg
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...9/IMG_0959.jpg
Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Freshman User

After pulling the bodys off both trucks, and hualing it home, I started this project by pulling the 351m/np435/np205 drive train and tore down the engine. The 351 m had 3 spun berrings and two burnt/cracked exhaust valves, i scraped the engine. I was planing a swap anyway, I'm thinking 460.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Freshman User

With the drive train out of the way, I started striping and painting the frame. I used a 6" cup brush on a big grinder and primed and painted the front half of the frame.Click the image to open in full size.

I drilled out the cab/frame mount bracket rivets and repace them with grade 8 bolts with lock washers and lock tite. also replaced the transmission crossmember hardware.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Freshman User

With the frame painted I moved the cab forward to where it should go. I installed new body mounts and hardware.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Freshman User

When I started doing the body work I quickly learned why the PO gave me this cab for free. Rust!!!!!!!!! Never fear, let the chopping and welding begin. The neighbors wont like this, thats ok I dont much like their fancy imported luxury cars.

I whent a head and welded in new floors from NPD, I had to fabricate the section that goes under the seat.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Freshman User

I seal welded the whole thing after this picClick the image to open in full size.

Than I ate the chicken

The drivers side, oh yha there was beer with the chicken

Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Postmaster

teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feets View Post
The neighbors wont like this, thats ok I dont much like their fancy imported luxury cars.
I know that feeling. Thankfully, I now live in a neighborhood where they don't mind me and my junk.

Keep up the good work. There is nothing more satisfying than totally building a truck to exactly the way YOU want. I did this same thing to the truck in the picture by my username, and it was great! Now I am hooked on redoing these old trucks.

Old truck: 74 F250 Converted 4WD sold
Some other 4 wheeled vehicles also reside in the driveway
Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Projects

Tags
4x4, 77, drivetrain, f250, ford, frame, motors, painting