Sponsored by:

New to me........

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 PM
sammatt1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me........

2004 Eddie Bauer 4x4, 4-inch lift, 295/70R18 E Nitto Trail Grappler, 8-seater, 120V inverter, 108K miles on the clock. Truck runs great but I'm still light footed but the V10 is definitely fun to drive.

My first Ford and first full size SUV so I know nothing about this beast.

My first question is about the 4-wheel drive system. When I engage the 4hi or 4lo, I hear a click what seems like the front axle actuator (correct me if I'm wrong) and the 4x4 dash light is illuminated. However when I make tight turns on dry pavement I dont get the front wheel hop as one would expect when the front axle is engaged. Again I know nothing about the Ford system so maybe I'm missing something. Is there something wrong with the truck? I don't need to lock the front hubs do I ? What do I need to check if you think there's an issue? Please advice. I'm all ears.

BTW, I just love the way these trucks look especially with a mild lift and aggressive tires. To be honest, this was my wife's idea to buy this truck which surprised the heck out of me because she was always concerned about poor MPG's but she just fell in love with the looks and size of this beast. Oh the TV's was another incentive for her to get the kids entertained.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:01 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Nice find and welcome to the family. I believe your fine with the 4x4, just find a place to test it and let the dirt fly.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 AM
05Eddie
Junior User
What rims are those? Love em !

Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Welcome and very nice !
They are bad about getting the vaccum lines to the front hubs cracked....check these first.....they run from the rail along the brake hose to a nipple behind the knuckle.......I would try to turn the hubs in.....if you can get them in .....another problem.......there are tons of threads on the hubs here ......you can search and read away.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 AM
sammatt1
Senior User
Originally Posted by njneer1
Welcome and very nice !
They are bad about getting the vaccum lines to the front hubs cracked....check these first.....they run from the rail along the brake hose to a nipple behind the knuckle.......I would try to turn the hubs in.....if you can get them in .....another problem.......there are tons of threads on the hubs here ......you can search and read away.

If a vacuum line is bad, how come I'm hearning a click like the actuator is working?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:44 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice rig and welcome!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 AM
sammatt1
Senior User
Originally Posted by cbradford
Nice rig and welcome!
'

Thanks.

How do I find out what rear gear ratio I have? I decoded the VIN online but the gear ratio does not show. Can the dealer pull up that kind of info?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:59 AM
05Eddie
Junior User
who makes your wheels?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by sammatt1
'

Thanks.

How do I find out what rear gear ratio I have? I decoded the VIN online but the gear ratio does not show. Can the dealer pull up that kind of info?

Should find one of these Axle codes on the sticker which is located on the drivers side front door jamb just below the latch, at least that's where mine is located. Hope this helps!

<style>@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }</style> Axle Type
31 — 3.73 non-limited slip, F-250/Excusion
C1 — 3.73 limited slip, F-250/Excursion
32 — 4.10 non-limited slip, F-250
C2 — 4.10 limited slip, F-250/Excursion
33 — 4.30 non-limited slip, F-250
C3 — 4.30 limited slip, F-250/Excursion

Old 09-02-2011, 10:06 AM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
Hello and welcome.

I can explain what's going on with your 4x4 system. First, I am assuming that you still have the OE ESOF (Electronic Shift on the Fly) hubs. They are black colored and plastic. There are a few things that happen with the OE ESOF system when you turn the dial on the dash.

1) The Transfer case motor shifts from 2wd to 4wd mode (this is the clicking you are hearing)

2) The ESOF vacuum solenoid sends a pulse to the hubs to engage them so you now have your front axle locked in.

It is this vacuum that is used to engage the hubs that is the issue. As someone said, you may just have a cracked line that is going to the hubs. Or, the hub seal could be bad (vacuum leak). Or, the plastic hubs themselves could be bad. Try turning the hubs manually, I'm going to bet that their stuck. In general, the ESOF vacuum system just plain sucks.

Many of us who need the 4x4 system to be reliable have ditched the OE hubs for some aftermarket units. Either Mile Marker (449SS) or Warn's (I don't know the Warn part number) are really good. By switching to these manual only hubs you can be confident that when you turn the hub that your front axle will be locked in. The T-case will still be engaged via the electric motor. I have had my 01 Ex since new and I swapped out the OE hubs for Mile Marker units around 2004. I had warranty replace the hubs once and once that was run out and they failed again I went with the Mile Markers. I have never looked back. Zero issues with my 4x4 system now.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 AM
sammatt1
Senior User
Originally Posted by rlh68050
Hello and welcome.

I can explain what's going on with your 4x4 system. First, I am assuming that you still have the OE ESOF (Electronic Shift on the Fly) hubs. They are black colored and plastic. There are a few things that happen with the OE ESOF system when you turn the dial on the dash.

1) The Transfer case motor shifts from 2wd to 4wd mode (this is the clicking you are hearing)

2) The ESOF vacuum solenoid sends a pulse to the hubs to engage them so you now have your front axle locked in.

It is this vacuum that is used to engage the hubs that is the issue. As someone said, you may just have a cracked line that is going to the hubs. Or, the hub seal could be bad (vacuum leak). Or, the plastic hubs themselves could be bad. Try turning the hubs manually, I'm going to bet that their stuck. In general, the ESOF vacuum system just plain sucks.

Many of us who need the 4x4 system to be reliable have ditched the OE hubs for some aftermarket units. Either Mile Marker (449SS) or Warn's (I don't know the Warn part number) are really good. By switching to these manual only hubs you can be confident that when you turn the hub that your front axle will be locked in. The T-case will still be engaged via the electric motor. I have had my 01 Ex since new and I swapped out the OE hubs for Mile Marker units around 2004. I had warranty replace the hubs once and once that was run out and they failed again I went with the Mile Markers. I have never looked back. Zero issues with my 4x4 system now.

Thanks for the great response.

Some questions:

1) When you say the hubs are stuck, do you mean I can get them unstuck by turning it and it would be good or stuck as in they are broken?

2) How difficult or easy is it to replace these hubs? I don't mind getting my hand dirty but I've never worked on replacing hubs. Is there a write up in this forum regarding hub replacement?

3) If I replacethe hub, can I still use the dial on the dash to engage the 4x4?

4) Do I need to turn the hub everytime I need the 4x4? If so that would really suck.

5) If possible can u pls let me know where to find these vacuum lines so I can check them all.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:06 AM
jasoncw
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
1) When you say the hubs are stuck, do you mean I can get them unstuck by turning it and it would be good or stuck as in they are broken?

Stuck as in you can't turn the handle from Auto to Lock.

2) How difficult or easy is it to replace these hubs? I don't mind getting my hand dirty but I've never worked on replacing hubs. Is there a write up in this forum regarding hub replacement?

Here is a thread on how R&R the hubs:

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

And also how you can lube/maintain the auto-lock hubs if interested:

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

4) Do I need to turn the hub everytime I need the 4x4? If so that would really suck.

Yes, the dial on the dash engages the transfer case, so you will need to use that. If you "upgrade" the hubs to manuals like Warn, you will need to both turn the dial on the dash and engage the hubs from outside the car.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:07 AM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sammatt1
Thanks for the great response. Thanks again for the help.
Some questions:

If they are stuck and cannot be turned manually then I would say that they are no good. Some have had luck soaking them in ATF or something to loosen then up but I didn't have any such luck. Please note that the ability to turn the OE hubs manually doesn't have anything to do with the vacuum system, it's just another failure mode of the OE hubs.

Very easy to do (two beers)
Look here -> Mile Marker hubs
And here -> ESOF modification

Yes, the switch will still engage the T-Case but you will now have to turn the hubs manually (like the old days).

Yes, you would and no it doesn't suck. You can leave the hubs locked in if you think your going to need 4x4. Leaving the hubs locked in and having the switch in 2wd only leaves the front axle engaged. You won't be free wheeling the hubs. This doesn't do any harm to any components. When you want 4x4 just turn the switch on the dash to engage the T-Case. I do this all the time in the winter (leave the hubs locked in).

5) If possible can u pls let me know where to find these vacuum lines so I can check them all.

The 4x4 vacuum solenoid is on the passenger side of the engine compartment next to the battery. There is a single electrical connector and two vacuum lines going to it. Follow the lines down to the hubs and you will see where they are plugged in.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 AM
DennisBauer
Junior User
Originally Posted by cbradford
Should find one of these Axle codes on the sticker which is located on the drivers side front door jamb just below the latch, at least that's where mine is located. Hope this helps!

<style>@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }</style> Axle Type
31 — 3.73 non-limited slip, F-250/Excusion
C1 — 3.73 limited slip, F-250/Excursion
32 — 4.10 non-limited slip, F-250
C2 — 4.10 limited slip, F-250/Excursion
33 — 4.30 non-limited slip, F-250
C3 — 4.30 limited slip, F-250/Excursion

I was interested in what axel set up I have in my EX so I just ran out to look at the sticker on the door piller and Found that there is nothing written next to the axle spot. So I climbed under there and found it says S410A, so I'm assuming that is 4.10 gears but isit Limited slip or open in my case.
Sorry for the side track of the tread.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by DennisBauer
I was interested in what axel set up I have in my EX so I just ran out to look at the sticker on the door piller and Found that there is nothing written next to the axle spot. So I climbed under there and found it says S410A, so I'm assuming that is 4.10 gears but isit Limited slip or open in my case.
Sorry for the side track of the tread.
I think the 4:10's only came with the 5.4 V8, so is yours a 5.4 V8?

V10 came with 4:30's of 3:73's
7.3 or 6.0 with 3:73's only

and if I'm wrong I'm sure to be corrected.

Oh and for some reason the 1999 and or 2000 did not come with the sticker filled out .

Quick Reply: New to me........