1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with Ford and my 2011 SD

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience with Ford and my 2011 SD

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this should be posted here, but I've had a long roller coaster ride with my new F250. This is a highlight of that, also going to be sent somewhere as a letter.

On February 18th, 2011, I purchased and became the proud owner of a 2011 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.2L Gas Regular Cab. At least at the time I thought so. I purchased the truck from Whaling City Ford in New London, CT, and basically since the day I drove it off of the lot I have been having several issues with this truck, resulting in five service trips to the dealership (none including routine service), only one issue has been resolved on the third attempt. This also resulted in a tow truck and having to charge the battery twice. I have gone from a love relationship to disgust with the truck and Ford as a whole.

To highlight my history with Ford Motor Company, my family has purchased several Ford products as long as I have been alive and beyond. My first vehicle by choice was a brand new 2006 Ford Ranger, purchased in late 2006 brand new. This truck was my first love, and was sold in February for the Super Duty. I have also owned a 2008 Ford F150. I had several undocumented issues with this truck, but one to highlight was when the alternator died and I was left stranded on the side of the road with less than 30,000 miles on the truck. This truck was also sold at the same time as the Ranger for the Super Duty. The Super Duty was my third and final purchase to date with Ford Motor Company.

The first issue I would like to write about is a persistent ticking noise coming from the left bank of the engine. This started the day I drove the truck home, and worsened over time. This was first noted with my very first visit to the dealership, April 20th 2011. A TSB was performed, 11-1-5, which did not correct the problem but did correct another noise the truck was making. This problem was reported on my second trip to the shop, June 21st 2011. I was told at which point this was a normal operating condition. To try to put the sound to writing, it sounds like a valve tick which increases in speed with RPMS and drones out at over 3,000RPM. Cruising with the radio off at any speed, you can hear it loud and clear. In my honest opinion, given the fact that I have mechanical knowledge dating back well before I could drive, this is not a “normal” noise. Similar noises have been noted on online forums, which I have read and documented.

The second issue, which has been resolved, is a slipping condition with the transmission. Like the ticking noise, this issue also started the day I drove my truck home. This issue was highlighted in both trips to the dealership listed above and again a third time seven days after the second one on June 28th. One of the “slips” resulted in a five-second loss of power when I was merging on to a high traffic, high speed roadway. This could have resulted in an accident, and the injury of myself and my passenger at the time. The third trip involved the replacement of solenoids, which seemingly has resolved the issue. This has not acted up since this last trip to the dealership for this issue.

The third issue was first highlighted in the second service. The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) has been sporadically indicating a fault in the system. The light blinks and the information enter notes “TPMS FAULT”. These issues self-clear after a mile or two. The dealership claimed that they needed the light to be on when the truck was at the dealership for this to be diagnosed. The truck has done this well over two dozen times since it first happened. It was also noted to the service manager that this is still acting up on both of my last visits, neither documented. I’m forced to believe that my chain is being pulled on this issue, due to the fact that I know that there are diagnostic tools that do not require computer access or lights to be on.
The fourth issue I have had with this truck caught me by surprise. After sitting for less than 48 hours, I went to start my truck in the middle of the afternoon. The truck was dead, the battery had completely died. I called the dealership to ask the best option, they advised me to call Ford Roadside Assistance. I did this; the truck was towed in on July 28th 2011 late in the afternoon close to closing. The truck was moved between then and 7:30 AM. When I went to pick the truck up that night, the truck was still in the same spot. I’m not sure if it is coincidental or not. My battery was replaced, and I was sent on my way with my fourth service record, my third in less than two months.

Following the fourth visit, I was called by a representative from the dealership. I had also contacted Ford Customer Care, and had a case started. This prompted me to speak in person to the service manager himself, and he listened to my problem. The truck was taken in that Monday for a FIFTH time, and they had issues first with giving me a rental car. The TPMS light also made on the paperwork for this trip, and was fixed. But, he heard the ticking noise. So, I waited ALL day and finally called at around 4pm to ask if I need to return the rental car or not. They said keep it. So the next morning, the service manager allegedly starts my truck and hears nothing. I pick the truck up, start it, and it's still there. The TPMS light was said to be fixed under a TSB prompting a reprogram of the entire system.

They called again, and at this point they said to bring the truck in because them buying it back was the only solution to make me happy. I went in to discuss numbers, without the truck, and I was then told that it was a typical trade-in but with higher money going back to me. So this was not a buy back. I was told I was going to get a phone call the next day to set up an appointment with the sales manager (who told me he'd give me a 'hell of a deal'), and the lady from the dealership. I contacted Customer Care and left a VM on the box of the lady I had talked to, and I have not heard from neither the dealer or Ford.

Since then, the ticking noise has worsened over time, and over a 600 mile trip, the TPMS light came on again, four times on the way down, twice on the way back, and three times since then. The truck has also died in my driveway twice, both times had my snow plow on the truck (I used my plow to clear driveways following Hurricane Irene) where it sat for no more than a couple of hours at a time. This is leaving me stranted for winter, which is just around the corner now, with a truck that probably won't make the entire season without one problem, meaning to me that I can lose a considerable amount of money possibly ($35/hr cash if I plow for a friend's boss).

What do you guys think I should do at this point? I have all of my paperwork, but per CT law this is not enough to make a Lemon Law case. I'm honestly considering buying a new truck before winter and keeping my $6,000 plow to install on that.

Thanks guys,
Matt

Old 09-01-2011, 03:10 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
I would see what the "hell" of a deal the dealership will make with you. If it is reasonable and fair, I would go that route, but I would make sure you got exactly what you want in the next truck so that you don't have to 'settle' for whatever they had on their lot. Don't let them put you in something more expensive, unless that is something you want. It sounds like the engine is bad, so I would do anything you could to get something before winter, so that you can plow without problems. Ford makes great products, but every once and a while it makes a bad unit. It is unfortunate, and it is nice that you keep your head about you in dealing with it. You might also want to contact your state Attorney General's office if the dealership fails to satisfy your needs.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:05 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What he said ^ and good luck, hope you get this whole mess sorted out soon man!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:32 PM
1973Ford2004
Senior User
I would delete the part about clearing my driveway after a hurricane with my snowplow.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
Originally Posted by 1973Ford2004
I would delete the part about clearing my driveway after a hurricane with my snowplow.
Originally Posted by jc8825
I would see what the "hell" of a deal the dealership will make with you. If it is reasonable and fair, I would go that route, but I would make sure you got exactly what you want in the next truck so that you don't have to 'settle' for whatever they had on their lot. Don't let them put you in something more expensive, unless that is something you want. It sounds like the engine is bad, so I would do anything you could to get something before winter, so that you can plow without problems. Ford makes great products, but every once and a while it makes a bad unit. It is unfortunate, and it is nice that you keep your head about you in dealing with it. You might also want to contact your state Attorney General's office if the dealership fails to satisfy your needs.
I agree with BOTH these posts!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:55 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
I do not think the problem here is your truck. In my opinion, what you have is a dealership issue, or at least a service department issue.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
On the hurricane point I added that in after posting it, it's a little confusing to have a plow on a truck in late august

I did contact them about this "deal", they first asked me if I would consider the same thing and all I said was a supercab/short bed, and they asked me what I'd put down on a new truck. Since then I haven't heard a word.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Menghi08LT
On the hurricane point I added that in after posting it, it's a little confusing to have a plow on a truck in late august

I did contact them about this "deal", they first asked me if I would consider the same thing and all I said was a supercab/short bed, and they asked me what I'd put down on a new truck. Since then I haven't heard a word.
You will have to do the follow up. The longer you wait for the dealer to follow up, the worse it will get for you.

Be proactive, be aggressive, follow up on a daily basis, and you'll get what you want (hopefully). Wait for the dealer and you'll not be happy.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 AM
mountie
Senior User
Someone needs their butt kicked. Can you try a service Dept at another dealership. Don't let them off that easy. Keep on their case.