1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

venting (mustang) tank in 54 F100

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Daryl, I think those are called "P" clamps because they look like a "P". I know there is probably a better name, but most people will know exactly what you are talking about. I like the ones with the layer of asbestos rather than the rubber. A "C" clamp is a mechanical device with a screw feature that tightens down and holds things securely in its jaws. Thanks for the offer on the pix, but I was just worried I was having a brain cramp and couldn't figure out how to see what you were showing me. One of these days when I get down to Visalia, I'll stop by in person and check that custom installation out. Thanks, John

Old 04-11-2003, 03:21 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by johntownsel
Hey Daryl, I think those are called "P" clamps because they look like a "P". I know there is probably a better name, but most people will know exactly what you are talking about. I like the ones with the layer of asbestos rather than the rubber. A "C" clamp is a mechanical device with a screw feature that tightens down and holds things securely in its jaws. Thanks for the offer on the pix, but I was just worried I was having a brain cramp and couldn't figure out how to see what you were showing me. One of these days when I get down to Visalia, I'll stop by in person and check that custom installation out. Thanks, John
I'd love it... and you are welcome any time! Visalia is about 40 minutes from me, but I use it as a reference point 'cuz it's the nearest "big city" (hah!) that people MIGHT have heard of...
Daryl

Old 04-11-2003, 09:29 PM
fordgo
Senior User

just letting you guys know that the proper name for your "p" clamps they are known by their manufactures name which is adel there are several different kinds some lined with rubber common to running wires in aircraft fuselages others that are lined in teflon used when running braided steel lines and the ones lined with asbestos type material used where heat is a issue such as around jet engines just hope that helps out some sorry just had to post the right name spent 20 years working with them and ive replaced more than i ever want to think about

Old 04-12-2003, 05:56 AM
Jim VA.
Senior User

Daryl; After looking at your photos I have a sugestion if you do not mind. When routing a vent for any liquid tank the line should always slope uphill with no bellys or dips,as a belly will trap liquid.if enough volume is retained in the vent line when filling the tank the liquid being introduced into the tank could spit back out of the fill neck. at the end of the vent line a 90 degree bend will keep out most moisture and road dirt.as well as some type of screen will help keep out (mud wasps).I was glad to see you used aluminum fittings and line with a aluminum tank,usually a soarce of corrosion when different metals are used. before I retired I had been installing all sorts of tanks in boats for over 40 years but not in trucks. I hope I did not step on your feet with my observations . Jim VA.

Old 04-12-2003, 06:10 AM
Jim VA.
Senior User

Daryl; Should be 180 degree bend not 90 . getting old and forgetful .

Old 04-12-2003, 08:31 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

Originally posted by Jim VA.
Daryl; After looking at your photos I have a sugestion if you do not mind. When routing a vent for any liquid tank the line should always slope uphill with no bellys or dips,as a belly will trap liquid.if enough volume is retained in the vent line when filling the tank the liquid being introduced into the tank could spit back out of the fill neck. at the end of the vent line a 90 degree bend will keep out most moisture and road dirt.as well as some type of screen will help keep out (mud wasps).I was glad to see you used aluminum fittings and line with a aluminum tank,usually a soarce of corrosion when different metals are used. before I retired I had been installing all sorts of tanks in boats for over 40 years but not in trucks. I hope I did not step on your feet with my observations . Jim VA.
Jim VA,
I don't mind at all. In fact , I was wondering if that'd make much of a difference. Shouldn't be much of a problem to crawl back under there and straighten the aluminum tubing out to ~straight 'til it marries to the rubber hose section. Thanks for the insight and info that now answers the question in the back of my mind! Now at least it won't become yet ANOTHER "nagging" question in the back of my mind.... Daryl

Old 04-13-2003, 08:33 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

Originally posted by Jim VA.
Jim,
Well, I filled up yesterday and it went fine. (heavy sigh of relief)... Thanks again for the tip, and may I reiterate that I always appreciate educated information, as the further I get into my project truck, the more I realize how little I actually know! Thanks again,
Daryl