1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anybody here like Tractors? Ot but ford

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:28 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Anybody here like Tractors? Ot but ford

Yep, I figured so!

I am always looking for a deal on a 9N or 8N but have never made the plunge.
then I seen this tractor for sale, although not an 8 or 9N I fell in love.

I really want it, but talk me out of it. I really don't have a use for it other than ????? guess the options are open..

$1100 or offer, Im suprised it's not sold yet after one day.

"1950 Military Tug with Hyd.Loader. Ford flathead V-8 motor, 4spd. trans"

so; enablers what say ye?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
What a sweetheart! Now that's a real man's tractor. See if it's too heavy for your trailer. That could be your excuse for not bringing it home. Good luck. ;-) You gotta admit, it would look nice sitting next to your COE.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look's like it will be good in the snow..!!I think the seat need a bit of work though ...

Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 PM
aguynsd
New User
cool

I like old ford tractors also, have you visited the yesterdays tractors website? it is a good place to go for all your antique tractor questions.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Uhhh........ I like tractors and have definitely operated my share in my life. I own 2 (one old, one relatively new). So please understand that this opinion is from experience and I'm trying to help you out but yet not hurt your feelings. I have a tractor with a front end loader, and please listen to me. The geometry of that tractor is really concerning to me. It looks like a convertible front end loader. I'm telling you right now, if you load that bucket and head down an incline, that sucker could very easily nose up or roll to the side in a very ugly accident. It just looks like there is WAY too much weight on the boom and not enough in the rear or with the rear tires to counterbalance it. There is absolutely NO protection for the operator either. On top of that, I'd bet it has no 3 point attachment capabilities or less likely a pto drive out the back. You just need to consider that. For not a whole lot more, you can actually buy a very good old tractor with a front end loader or you could buy an older backhoe that will be more useful than that thing.

Now to my other point. And this might upset the Ford faithful here. The 8N's and 9N's are wonderful tractors. Hell they made a zillion of the things way back when. BUT, if you plan on using it to plow a vegetable garden or do something else at a very slow speed, they just simply are not equipped to do so. They're just not geared to slow down enough to do a good job at tasks like that. I say this from direct experience. Otherwise, they're good tractors if you want to use it to scrape a driveway or pull a hay wagon, etc.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
...Now to my other point. And this might upset the Ford faithful here. The 8N's and 9N's are wonderful tractors. Hell they made a zillion of the things way back when. BUT, if you plan on using it to plow a vegetable garden or do something else at a very slow speed, they just simply are not equipped to do so. They're just not geared to slow down enough to do a good job at tasks like that. I say this from direct experience. Otherwise, they're good tractors if you want to use it to scrape a driveway or pull a hay wagon, etc.
I hate to say it, too, but every time I've discussed the Ford tractors with "real" farmers, they tell me they are not anywhere as good as a John Deere, Minnie-Mo, IH, etc.

I wonder if this one, being a "tug", is actually geared too low to be useful?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
What a sweetheart! Now that's a real man's tractor. See if it's too heavy for your trailer. That could be your excuse for not bringing it home. Good luck. ;-) You gotta admit, it would look nice sitting next to your COE.
LOL, that sounds like a challenge if I've ever heard one!

Originally Posted by kenjh
look's like it will be good in the snow..!!I think the seat need a bit of work though ...
I've got a seat that could be used for it.

Originally Posted by aguynsd
I like old ford tractors also, have you visited the yesterdays tractors website? it is a good place to go for all your antique tractor questions.
Yep, love that site-I'm a member and learned a lot from there.

Originally Posted by Doc
Uhhh........ I like tractors and have definitely operated my share in my life. I own 2 (one old, one relatively new). So please understand that this opinion is from experience and I'm trying to help you out but yet not hurt your feelings. I have a tractor with a front end loader, and please listen to me. The geometry of that tractor is really concerning to me. It looks like a convertible front end loader. I'm telling you right now, if you load that bucket and head down an incline, that sucker could very easily nose up or roll to the side in a very ugly accident. It just looks like there is WAY too much weight on the boom and not enough in the rear or with the rear tires to counterbalance it. There is absolutely NO protection for the operator either. On top of that, I'd bet it has no 3 point attachment capabilities or less likely a pto drive out the back. You just need to consider that. For not a whole lot more, you can actually buy a very good old tractor with a front end loader or you could buy an older backhoe that will be more useful than that thing.

Now to my other point. And this might upset the Ford faithful here. The 8N's and 9N's are wonderful tractors. Hell they made a zillion of the things way back when. BUT, if you plan on using it to plow a vegetable garden or do something else at a very slow speed, they just simply are not equipped to do so. They're just not geared to slow down enough to do a good job at tasks like that. I say this from direct experience. Otherwise, they're good tractors if you want to use it to scrape a driveway or pull a hay wagon, etc.
Well, I wasn't actually planning on using it if I got it! just was going to park it in the flower garden!
But seriously, No feelings hurt here. You made some very valid concerns and I'm all ears. It does look very heavy duty in the picture and the guy said the grill and cover and pretty much everything is made out of thick steel plate.

Oh ya and it does not have a rear pto or 3 point which I figured it wouldn't as well which really does limit it's versatility and overall usefulness.
thanks for your input, I do appreciate your knowledge of tractors.

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I hate to say it, too, but every time I've discussed the Ford tractors with "real" farmers, they tell me they are not anywhere as good as a John Deere, Minnie-Mo, IH, etc.

I wonder if this one, being a "tug", is actually geared too low to be useful?

Ask that same question on the early ford site (9 and 8N section) bet that's not the concensus there.... just messin with ya

I really don't know anything about tractors just that a 8N was the first thing I ever drove at the age of 7 on the farm in Gruetli TN

Good question on the "tug" aspect of the gearing ??

Really don't need one, but just dreaming of having an actual use for one...

Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I know nothing about them, but we have a ton of them around here:

wow that didn't re-size at all did it? lol sorry...

That's the nice thing about Wyoming, it's too cold in the winter to rust, and too hot in the summer to rust... so nothing ever really rusts away. I've seen Model T's with just surface rust sitting around even, hell they use to use them to build up the bank of the creeks in town, so you walk the creek and find all sorts of cars from the 10s-30s...

Old 09-01-2011, 03:52 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
so ..will it fit in the garden ?? will the trailer hold it ??does it run ??

Old 09-01-2011, 06:47 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No point, no PTO = No go.

Love the Ferguson-Ford-Massey-Harris-Et-al incestuous brand
For the balance issues - Spread the front axles all the way out and attach a 55 gal drum half full of rocks to the PT.
Drove alot of those where you could cut the pumpkins of the vine and they would roll right down to the Barn

Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
I used to operate an old eraly 40's John Deere "B" Model. the old Poppin' Johnny. It was a great tractor and had tons more power than my neighbors 9N. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the reverse gear was way too fast. It made backig up to hitch up implements a bit dicey....lol

Bobby

Old 09-01-2011, 07:36 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
The only way to keep the rear end on the ground would be the 55 gal drum idea, or calcium in the rear tires. I bought an 8N with dump bucket and calcium years ago to do a lot of dirt work building a BMX track for the local YMCA. It dug great, even without the hydaulic bucket, and was decently stable. But Doc is right, they can be killers. I lost a good buddy when he fell off his 8N while cutting grass and it ran over him. I later bought a 2N, with a hydraulic bucket, when we moved to the country to help when I built my shop. Without the calcium it wasn't much help. It's now moved on to a new home.

What I'd suggest you find is one of these! Either an 8N or Jubilee with an Elenco 4x4 conversion would be the ticket! Stu

Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Darn I miss my Ford 2000

Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
I too like the Ford tractors... we have two... 45 2N and a 54 NAA. I don't know anything about the tugs. Did all have the flathead or was that swapped in? Is it the same motor as a stock car or truck motor?

Rob

Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Josh, does it have power steering? PS is a must on a loader tractor....

I'd still buy it in a heartbeat.....just because it has a flat 8 in it! While not really suited for farm work, it would be handy as he!!....I have an old Farmall with a loader, and I use the heck out of it just moving stuff around.

I also have an 8n...I agree, they are almost useless. The 3 point is the best feature....

Quick Reply: Anybody here like Tractors? Ot but ford