6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

problem w/sct tuner pleasse help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Eagle Custom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem w/sct tuner pleasse help

I just bought a 04 F-350 4x4 with 144000 miles it has a 4" exh. and k&n cold air intake and today I bought a new sct sf3 with canned tunes when I installed the street or the tow haul tunes the truck will not run it will start and runs real ruff and then dies when I put the performance tune in it would run but is more than I want on my truck. So now it is back on stock and running again any body else had issues with SCT.
I have emailed SCT to inquire about this issue but wanted to know if any one else has the same issue.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Robs06SuperDuty
Elder User
It might be worth it to just get some custom tunes from SCT, Im actually getting ready to buy an SCT X3 for my truck with custom tunes to liven my truck up a bit.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Eagle Custom
Freshman User
I am kicking that idea around now but am not happy at all that a tuner bought today and installed does not work they are pretty pricey for something that does not work like advertised has anyone had simmilar problems.

I am not trying to bash SCT as I have not talked to them as they were closed when found the problem hope fully they will have a simple fix for this or I might have done something wrong as this is my first time using a tuner.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:09 PM
djanzen
Elder User

go with matt at gearhead!!! his tunes are frikin awesome. I run his with a sct sf3 and my truck has never shifted as smooth!! matt Rocks!!
And his tunes are cheap
I would go through the install again making sure everything is correct.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
the canned tunes that the SCT comes with are designed for a bone stock truck. any modifications will cause problems like you are experiencing.

Your K&N is most likely causing the problem. If you have the stock airbox, I'd throw that back on there and try it again. Most likely everything will run fine.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 AM
demondog05
New User
Same issue I am having on my 2005 6.0L King Ranch with EGR delete. Just bought the truck last month and got the SCT tuner. Except mine does'nt like any of the preloaded tunes. I always have to return it to stock tune to get it run again. I have not checked to see if the previous owner had done any mods or perhaps installed a performance chip. That might be something to check next time I am home. Currently deployed so it will have to wait.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:29 AM
strokethis04
Junior User
Give SCT a call. They will surely help you out with your issue, guaranteed!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:23 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by demondog05
Same issue I am having on my 2005 6.0L King Ranch with EGR delete. Just bought the truck last month and got the SCT tuner. Except mine does'nt like any of the preloaded tunes. I always have to return it to stock tune to get it run again. I have not checked to see if the previous owner had done any mods or perhaps installed a performance chip. That might be something to check next time I am home. Currently deployed so it will have to wait.
check it over

My 2009 Mustang refused to run when I used the canned tunes on the SCT #3015 tuner. Those tunes were setup for the K&N or C&L CAI. I had the FRPP CAI. A very tiny seeming difference, but it was enough that the car couldn't even idle.

With the canned tunes, they are written for an assumed stock vehicle. So if you have any extra mods, you must buy Custom tunes.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 AM
demondog05
New User
I have been in contact with Matt from Gearhead automotive and he is getting me squared away. I will post later what develops.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
strokethis04
Junior User
Originally Posted by demondog05
I have been in contact with Matt from Gearhead automotive and he is getting me squared away. I will post later what develops.
Awesome hes a great guy to deal with!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 PM
hdmall
New User
I have an sct tuner , have used it on 2- separate, 04 fords, worked perfect, used on my 06 , now truck wont start, and wont go back to stock,,,,help----waffordranch5@hotmail.com

Old 07-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tylus
check it over

My 2009 Mustang refused to run when I used the canned tunes on the SCT #3015 tuner. Those tunes were setup for the K&N or C&L CAI. I had the FRPP CAI. A very tiny seeming difference, but it was enough that the car couldn't even idle.

With the canned tunes, they are written for an assumed stock vehicle. So if you have any extra mods, you must buy Custom tunes.
Can anyone else confirm this? I hope you don't take offense to me doubting you but I've just never heard this before. I've used canned tunes on previous vehicles that had aftermarket intake and exhaust with no issues

Old 07-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by hdmall
I have an sct tuner , have used it on 2- separate, 04 fords, worked perfect, used on my 06 , now truck wont start, and wont go back to stock,,,,help----waffordranch5@hotmail.com
I bet you used the tunes for the 04 truck on your 06 didn't you?

The 03/04 trucks had/have different PCM strategies from the 05/06/07 trucks.

They are not interchangeable. You aren't completely screwed though. Contact SCT and tell them what you did. They have a work around that they'll walk you through. Hopefully that'll get you back on the road.

For future reference, make sure the tunes you are running are for the same PCM strategy as the truck.

Originally Posted by Ian123
Can anyone else confirm this? I hope you don't take offense to me doubting you but I've just never heard this before. I've used canned tunes on previous vehicles that had aftermarket intake and exhaust with no issues
no offense. I've learned the hard way with SCT. It started with the blower on my F-150 and many trial & errors with my Mustang and this truck. I've had 5 different SCT tuners. The X2, 2 of the X3's and 2 of the SF3. The X2 is my favorite though.
how extensive was the exhaust?

just a catback - motor/PCM won't know the difference.

longtube headers - O2 signals are timed. the pulses will not be correctly synched with the new location in LT's. not to mention the higher exhaust velocity. I had to get 3 re-tunes, and 2 different tuners to get my Mustang to run properly when I did the LT's with offroad H. PCM kept defaulting to pig rich conditions because of O2 sensor issues...and Brenspeed being retards who won't listen to the customer vehicles specs and desires. Blow By Racing got it right the 1st time and actually listened to my requests. Great guys. Not to mention their tunes made 1st and 2nd gear useless for traction

most people think the "mods" they've done really change things up. truth be told, most "mods" people do are bandaides and really don't do diddly. A simple K&N intake won't really be noticed by the PCM. Same with the catback. It'll look and sound better, but not really perform. Kinda like putting a sticker on the window and expecting +10 hp
now, if you install a true replacement intake that relocates, or significantly changes things up...then you need tuning.

as I mentioned in my previous post, I had the FRPP CAI on my Mustang Bullitt. I tried using the SCT SF3 (p/n 3015) canned tunes. Since the FRPP CAI is a true CAI vs. the K&N wanabe, the parameters of the SCT tuning couldn't make the PCM and CAI play nice. The car tried, but after a few seconds of stumbling and barely idleing, she'd die out.
think about it this way. SCT has the enviable job of writing "canned" tunes for every single variable that the motor might experience. To be safe, they really limit how much they tweak. And the assumption is that the vehicle is stock, or near stock with a CAI (only certain CAI's are supported btw). So SCT writes this very generic tune with extremely safe margins to prevent blowing up or otherwise damaging the vehicle. It must fit a multitude of vehicles, so what you are really getting most times is just transmission tuning...and/or a little bit of spark advance to allow for running 89/91 octane fuel
now when you add mods outside the little box that SCT is working with, things won't go right. the PCM has no idea what to do, and the "canned" tunes aren't any help.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:27 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

btw, I'm watching Army of Darkness at the moment, so please don't take offense. I always get all riled up by that movie.

g'night to all and Thank you generous hosts