FE Aluminum Intake

Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 AM
mscheel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FE Aluminum Intake

Hello all. Looking for a used alum intake for my 390. Edelbrock produced several different models, (Streetmaster,Performer,Performer RPM) and I know that some where better performers than others. There's also Weiand, Offy and probably some others I've forgotten here. My question is, has anyone seen any info on which ones were the more desireable, better flowing units and which ones were the dogs? Anyone have personal experience with any of these and were you happy with the results? Any light shed on this would be muchly appreciated.
Happy motoring!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 AM
daningraham
Senior User
I have a used Performer 390 that came with a rebuilt motor I bought if you are interested. Where are you located?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had good luck with the performer and there are plenty of used ones out there. You should be able to get a good one for under 200 bucks.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holman Moody has a good one that looks to be cast pretty thick.

If I build a FE I will get this one for myself.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:22 PM
DrainBramage
Senior User
There is a fellow named Jay Brown that wrote an entire book on the subject: "The Great FE Intake Comparo" Awesome book if you can get your hands on a copy. Search his name on the Net and here in the FTE forum and see what comes up.

Manifold selection really comes down to what your plans are for the motor and the truck. If you just want to get a 4bbl on it, a factory iron "S" or "T" intake will work fine. They are heavy as sin, but they will be fine for a stock motor. The Edelbrock Performer 390 is also a good choice for a very mild/stock engine, but will be more expensive than a factory iron unit. From there, the Edelbrock Performer RPM 390 is better, but still not amazing compared to some of the high end options. Prices go up from there.

I chose a Performer 390 for my truck. I don't plan on spinning past 4,000 RPM with a stock engine, so it suits me just fine. Gains between the various manifolds under 4k are minimal, so I went cheap. I didn't get an iron one simply because they are heavy

So, what are your plans for the truck/engine?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 AM
mscheel
New User
Originally Posted by daningraham
I have a used Performer 390 that came with a rebuilt motor I bought if you are interested. Where are you located?
I'm located in western NY. What kind of money are you thinking about for the intake?
Thanks
Mark

Old 09-03-2011, 08:21 AM
mscheel
New User
Originally Posted by DrainBramage
There is a fellow named Jay Brown that wrote an entire book on the subject: "The Great FE Intake Comparo" Awesome book if you can get your hands on a copy. Search his name on the Net and here in the FTE forum and see what comes up.

Manifold selection really comes down to what your plans are for the motor and the truck. If you just want to get a 4bbl on it, a factory iron "S" or "T" intake will work fine. They are heavy as sin, but they will be fine for a stock motor. The Edelbrock Performer 390 is also a good choice for a very mild/stock engine, but will be more expensive than a factory iron unit. From there, the Edelbrock Performer RPM 390 is better, but still not amazing compared to some of the high end options. Prices go up from there.

I chose a Performer 390 for my truck. I don't plan on spinning past 4,000 RPM with a stock engine, so it suits me just fine. Gains between the various manifolds under 4k are minimal, so I went cheap. I didn't get an iron one simply because they are heavy

So, what are your plans for the truck/engine?
It'll just be for street use, back and forth to work, cruisin and waking the neighbors. Just picked up a set of Flowtech headers so that will help some, too. I've got a cast iron 4v unit on there now with a new Holley carb but I would like to get the weight down a little using an alum intake.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:19 PM
DrainBramage
Senior User
Originally Posted by mscheel
It'll just be for street use, back and forth to work, cruisin and waking the neighbors. Just picked up a set of Flowtech headers so that will help some, too. I've got a cast iron 4v unit on there now with a new Holley carb but I would like to get the weight down a little using an alum intake.
If you are looking at street performance, I'd go with a dual plane intake. Edelbrock Performer 390, Performer RPM 390, F427, Autolite/Ford 427 Police Interceptor (PI) or 427 "Sidewinder" and the Weiald 'Dual Plane' are all dual plane intakes and should work fine for a street engine. Holley and Edelbrock also made single plane intakes with smaller runners and port volumes that work great off idle, not a small feat for a single plane intake. The Holley Street Dominator and Edelbrock Streetmaster for the FE series engines have been out of production since the 70's. Fleabay and CraigsList or a good swap meet might produce one on occasion. I really wanted to try the Holley one, but I kept getting outbid on eBay, so I went with the Performer 390.

Check these guys out for pictures: DSC Motorsport

Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Riderman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrainBramage
If you are looking at street performance, I'd go with a dual plane intake. Edelbrock Performer 390, Performer RPM 390,"]DSC Motorsport[/URL]
You are absolutly correct. Those other intakes were discontinued for a reason. The FE isnt exactly a race engine, although people tried to make it one back in the day. Dual plane rules in these lower rpm higher torq engines. I'll add this, to torq up the blue viens, a falcon with a 390, a camaro\chevelle with a 350 in the quarter from the same erra... I understand the "I've built a 390 that blew the circuit away arguments, they are 1 in 50 mayby. Just kidding here a little guy's.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Riderman
You are absolutly correct. Those other intakes were discontinued for a reason. The FE isnt exactly a race engine, although people tried to make it one back in the day. Dual plane rules in these lower rpm higher torq engines. I'll add this, to torq up the blue viens, a falcon with a 390, a camaro\chevelle with a 350 in the quarter from the same erra... I understand the "I've built a 390 that blew the circuit away arguments, they are 1 in 50 mayby. Just kidding here a little guy's.
I'm ***-u-me ing that you're joking about the FE not being a race engine? lol
Because there is many an FE revving over 6k, and putting out big hp. Some of those discontinued intakes actually perform pretty dang well.

For his application and any heavy truck or barge of a car, the dual plane is the way to go.

I'm not trying to undercut daningraham or anything, but I also have a Perf. intake for sale. $175 + the ride. Just another option. Lemme know if you're interested.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Riderman
Elder User
[QUOTE=Sleepy445FE;10778159]I'm ***-u-me ing that you're joking about the FE not being a race engine? lol
Because there is many an FE revving over 6k.

Yes I was. But then again, 6K is not that big of deal anymore. I think most SUV's\car's redline is above that now day's.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:21 AM
DeepRoots
Posting Guru
The FE isnt exactly a race engine, although people tried to make it one back in the day.
The FE was THE race engine back in the day. The lifespan of these engines went into the smog years. Driving a 76 360 vs a 63 390 is a huge difference. Get into the larger engines (427/428) and it is just as large of a step.

Dp

Old 09-11-2011, 08:28 AM
maxtor
Posting Guru

[QUOTE=Riderman;10796662]
Originally Posted by Sleepy445FE
I'm ***-u-me ing that you're joking about the FE not being a race engine? lol
Because there is many an FE revving over 6k.

Yes I was. But then again, 6K is not that big of deal anymore. I think most SUV's\car's redline is above that now day's.
Hmmmm; Not to many suv's making 600 plus hp.

I guess a 434ci "428 bored to 4.170" making 600 hp n.a. and 850 hp with nitrous, turning 7000 rpm, is not a race engine?? I think Barry from Survival Motorsports would disagree with you also. He has built some 700 plus hp n.a. engines.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:52 PM
old, slow and rusty
New User
" I've got a cast iron 4v unit on there now "

if you decide to sell the cast iron , i am interested. my f250 is so heavy i don't think the weight savings of ally is worth the price.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:18 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by old, slow and rusty
" I've got a cast iron 4v unit on there now "

if you decide to sell the cast iron , i am interested. my f250 is so heavy i don't think the weight savings of ally is worth the price.
I agree, if it's a daily driver and you aren't going to use it for anything else you might as well leave the iron anchor on it. You're not gaining anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FE Aluminum Intake