FE Aluminum Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by draggin the line
You win the opportunity to tell me the distance in inches from the top of the intake port to the bottom surface of a C4-F casting.
Is that the high riser head?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
DeepRoots
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's not really fair if I go to the Ford FE forum and use the search function to find that is it?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:49 PM
draggin the line
Junior User
Originally Posted by DeepRoots
it's not really fair if I go to the Ford FE forum and use the search function to find that is it?
MotoMel has it, but you still have to have one to measure it.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
MotoMel has it, but you still have to have one to measure it.
If memory serves, the port is about 2.75 inches tall. It's been a long time since I had any of those.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 AM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
[quote=draggin the line;10882370]
Originally Posted by Riderman

I have to run a +.030" 360 in a claimer class with a 6 liter limit. How can I get tight quench with OTS pistons for cheap?
Install oversized 352 pistons if available with taller compression distance?

361 pistons (Compression Height: 1.882)

Old 10-14-2011, 07:42 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Children, children, please...

If you were such an expert, you would be in the FE Forum, not here. And if you were in the FE Forum, you would be able to figure out who I was by my writing style, and that your attempt to school me about FE's would be a complete riot.

This place does have a track record for turning away pretty much all the regulars from there that attempt to help out over here. Small wonder, as this is chock full of idiots who think post count automatically gives them invincibility without taking into consideration what is actually being said. Your "adult" remark throws you into the same mire as Bear, who actually thought I was a teenager because I have a low post count. And yet, you think you're actually an asset. Well, maybe just the first syllable.
Yes, so instead of schooling everyone, AND being an adult about it, they all run away and cry somewhere else.

Your "writing style" doesn't point out a particular person, but if you insist on hiding your identity, it must be for a reason.

Please, fill us in.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

To get back to the original post. Changing from a stock 4bbl iron manifold to an aftermarket aluminum unit can have a significant and noticeable effect, leaving out the performer, which is essentially just an aluminum version of the stock manifold. Usually that effect is enhanced with the addition of headers and a free flowing exhaust.

The weight isn't that significant on a heavy truck, but weight is weight, and it feels good knowing it isn't there.

I have a virgin 390 I am getting ready to re-build. The cast iron 4bbl went to the dump. I could barely get the danged thing in the back of my dump truck by myself. I will probably be using a Performer RPM (easy to get) or a Streetmaster (harder to get). I had GREAT success with the Streetmaster back in the day.

PS. You guys need to throttle back a little. Lots of stress on here over a misunderstood attempt at humor. Please remember most of us don't intend to say something negative, but on a forum, where you can't see the other guys facial expressions, or hear the tone of his voice, it is easy to read more into the words than was intended. Not worth fighting over. Peace.

-Brian

Old 10-14-2011, 04:28 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It Damn sure isnt like the good ol days !!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Riderman
Elder User
Originally Posted by Scouder
I have a virgin 390 I am getting ready to re-build. The cast iron 4bbl went to the dump. I could barely get the danged thing in the back of my dump truck by myself. I will probably be using a Performer RPM (easy to get) or a Streetmaster (harder to get). I had GREAT success with the Streetmaster back in the day.

PS. You guys need to throttle back a little. Lots of stress on here over a misunderstood attempt at humor. Please remember most of us don't intend to say something negative, but on a forum, where you can't see the other guys facial expressions, or hear the tone of his voice, it is easy to read more into the words than was intended. Not worth fighting over. Peace.

-Brian
Brian, you are correct. I was trying to add humer to us die hard Ford FE people. It didnt work, I let it go too far myself, like this post. Trust me here, no malice was intended to the FE community. One can call my truck junk, my car's junk, whatever, I dont take it personaly. Personal attack's on the internet..I'm still learning how to deal with them But the man was correct, I wish I spent more time learning the engish language instead of working on cars and trucks. I know many spec's for many different build's, but my brain will not hold all the info gleaned anymore for a specific build Thank god for book's. I built as many Cheby's as Ford's...I think

With that being said, aftermarket FE intakes are expensive, relitively speaking. Installing those cast iron intakes get's tougher every year for me. If one can find a Streetmaster at a decent price..get it! The Performer seems to be the most easily available for a decent price. These NOW Exoctic original FE OEM high performance engines and parts mentioned in some post's here are beyond the average FE user\bulders price range. IMHO

Old 10-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
With that being said, aftermarket FE intakes are expensive, relitively speaking. Installing those cast iron intakes get's tougher every year for me. If one can find a Streetmaster at a decent price..get it! The Performer seems to be the most easily available for a decent price. These NOW Exoctic original FE OEM high performance engines and parts mentioned in some post's here are beyond the average FE user\bulders price range. IMHO
Well maybe we'll say out of budget for the average owner of a FE powered truck. Most FEs are in classic muscle cars (Galaxies, Mustangs, Fairlanes, Cougars, Cyclones, Cobras, etc.). I would say the average FE is a fairly high perfomance motor aside from the 352/360s which again are in trucks.

I hope this doesn't all start back up again. I thought this thread was finally dead lol. I knew it was just an attempt at humor from the beginning I just didn't quite understand the wording. Then it spiraled out of control. CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!?

Russ it's good to see you around again. I think this forum can be better but we need more input from the "old guys". Meaning the long time reliable members of this forum of course .

Old 10-15-2011, 01:35 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Sleepy445FE
Well maybe we'll say out of budget for the average owner of a FE powered truck. Most FEs are in classic muscle cars (Galaxies, Mustangs, Fairlanes, Cougars, Cyclones, Cobras, etc.). I would say the average FE is a fairly high perfomance motor aside from the 352/360s which again are in trucks.

I hope this doesn't all start back up again. I thought this thread was finally dead lol. I knew it was just an attempt at humor from the beginning I just didn't quite understand the wording. Then it spiraled out of control. CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!?

Russ it's good to see you around again. I think this forum can be better but we need more input from the "old guys". Meaning the long time reliable members of this forum of course .

It won't stay dead as long as we keep giving it CPR!

Ford tried to convince people that the 352 cid 300 hp offering was a high performance car in 1958, but it was a flop. The serious guys with money found that they could put the Turnpike Cruiser engines and transmissions in them and then they started going fast. Speedcraft in Maywood Ill. did a few of these conversions as did Andy Granitelli's shop, Grancor in Chicago.

Ford's first high performance FE was the 1960 352 cid 360 hp cars intoduced in Nov./Dec. of 1959 to the racers for the Daytona 500 and the public saw it in February of 1960 just before the race, I think. That was just an omen of things to come from Ford. 1961 brought the 390 cid 401 hp cars and 1962 they brought out the 406 cid and in 1963 the 427 came out and then came all the variations of the 427 that made it a true legend in my opinion.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Riderman
Elder User
[QUOTE=Sleepy445FE;10922714]Well maybe we'll say out of budget for the average owner of a FE powered truck. Most FEs are in classic muscle cars (Galaxies, Mustangs, Fairlanes, Cougars, Cyclones, Cobras, etc.). I would say the average FE is a fairly high perfomance motor aside from the 352/360s which again are in trucks.

You, Motel Mell, and other's are correct! I hang in the Truck section mostly and migrate here for the awsome informatin on the FE engines. I didnt even think of the hot rod's you mentioned. Crap, you are correct, if one has one of those car's, the price of an intake is negligible. I'll try to keep my post's in the correct perspective. When I think of FE's, I think truck. I will correct myself. Then again, I'm a working stiff that can only dream of a built 428 in any kind of car you mentioned.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:58 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Well all my stuff has come to a screeching halt a few years back , after my surgery...But little by little been collecting parts again for the 434CJ, Thanks to a few friends that have pitched in with some spares of stuff they have had..(They know) who they are and I thank them ! So as many times as I felt about giving up on that build ..Its still in the works..69 CJ block .040" over, Ported C4 heads with SS one piece valves, Erson Roller cam, 240*/248* @ .050" @.651" lift on both ends..Harlan sharp HD shafts, I think Doug at Precicsion Pumps said his end stands and center supports will hold the valve spring pressure ? Cant remember what they are right now..I dont have the cam card in front of me..Mark over at Probe is setting me up with some forged slugs to go in it..Shooting for somewhere around 10.5cr...maybe a tad higher depending on the mix I'am willing to make with the fuel ? Also have the (Branda) Cobra T-pan..But I maybe about a 1/4" shy on useing it with the crossmember now that I have a more exact measurement...Timing will be done with the rollmaster timing set..was planning on a Tunnel wedge set-up with a couple of 600 cfm holleys..But may just go with the Victor and call it good for the simplicity of tuning...and get another set of holleys for the Big inch build (Stroked 460) which I have also started collecting parts for..So thats somewhat of what been going on at this end.. So i still need a nice set of rods, Valve springs Titainium retainers, valve covers etc..Oh and somemore machine work on the block.. So it goes on and on..

See my Bud John got his Cobra running **** now..it'll be more than ready come spring..and My Partner in crime Glenn should be getting real close to putting that bas A$$ 454 tunnel port together also.. So it should be getting really Fun come next year !!

Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
I hope you get it done for next year. There ain't nothing like an accident or serious surgery to screw up your plans/life and if you have any spirit left when you are recovered you might get to start all over again. I had to sell all of my 427s, Shelbys and parts when I was recovering from a broken hip. I doubt that I'll ever get my hands on another 427 but it was fun while it lasted!
I have been very fortunate to have been able to own a number of unique cars and build engines that were pretty special in their time for some very high rollers, teams and myself.
My last factory hot rod was a '67 Mercury Cyclone R code car with just under 6,000 miles on it and it now lives in eastern Pa. I am looking for a not too tired replacement that I can afford and have seen a couple so far. Maybe, one day.....

Old 10-23-2011, 12:48 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You are absolutly correct. Those other intakes were discontinued for a reason. The FE isnt exactly a race engine, although people tried to make it one back in the day. Dual plane rules in these lower rpm higher torq engines. I'll add this, to torq up the blue viens, a falcon with a 390, a camaro\chevelle with a 350 in the quarter from the same erra... I understand the "I've built a 390 that blew the circuit away arguments, they are 1 in 50 mayby. Just kidding here a little guy's.
Those "other" intakes were discontinued for a whole 'nother reason than you're alluding to.(market demand, not because they were bad intakes) As for the 390 not being able to whup up on a 350 Chevy ? That's horse****, plain and simple. Where do you think the Chevy guys got the idea for the 383 stroker ? Look at the bore and stroke of a 383 and get back to me.

Quick Reply: FE Aluminum Intake