1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy 2500HD vs. Ford F250 SD! THE TRUTH REVIELED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chevy 2500HD vs. Ford F250 SD! THE TRUTH REVIELED!

So, here is the proof that Chevy is at least trying to fib a bit when posting their results. There is NO WAY IN HELL that the F250 naturally sits 6.3" higher in the back then in the second picture. Secondly, you can clearly see that the graph at the end was fudged to give Chevy a much larger margin visually.

First, watch the video below.

Chevy Silverado HD | Ep. 3 | Bumper Sag - YouTube

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An F250 4x4 should be ~57 inches to the top of the tailgate empty. If this test is accurate, the height would be ~50 inches loaded with this weight. I have seen very few SDs squat like that when loaded. I agree that their graph is a bit misleading. I don't understand how for two trucks that are roughly rated the same, how one can barely move, while the other drastically moves. It would be more believable if one truck squatted say, 3 inches, while the other squatted 3.4 inches. I have major problems with many aspects of the Chevy test, from the way the front bumper is crooked of their test F250, the locked tailgate in the 'ditch twist' test, to this. 2400 lbs and the truck is almost to the spring stops?

Why does the SD have the brake lights on? Is it in gear and the driver is exacerbating the sag by holding the brakes while in gear?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:21 PM
onedcharette
Senior User
I never believe or buy into any of that crap (Ford or Chevy). I know what my truck can do and that's all that matters and pretty much why i bought it. We are fools if we think Ford has never done the same as what Chevy may/may not have done in this test. I've owned 3/4 tons from both stables. I happened to have had better luck with Fords. Soooo....in the end im sure there is some Chevy guy in another forum is saying the same crap about Fords.

btw, Howie Long was a hell of a player.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
I prefer Mike Rowe.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:24 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
The Ford also has a taller suspension, I.E. further to travel.

And once again, like all these BS tests, they never stated the spring ratings on the individual trucks.... they might both be 3/4 ton trucks, but there could be a 1,500lb difference in spring ratings.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:24 PM
onedcharette
Senior User
Originally Posted by jc8825

Why does the SD have the brake lights on? Is it in gear and the driver is exacerbating the sag my holding the brakes while in gear?
i suppose backing into "chocked" trailer wheels would lift the back of the truck up?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM
3000 FPS
Elder User
Are not the super duty F-350 rear springs the same as in the F-250. The only difference is the blocks for the F-350 is 2 inches to make it higher. So you are going to tell me that springs in the Ford F-250 that are really rated for 1 ton are going to compress twice as much as a Chevy 3/4 ton. I don't think so.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:20 PM
tgreening
Elder User
They make a big deal about the independent tester, but you can be sure Chevy did all this tests in house and knew the results before hand. All they are doing is designing tests they know they can "win" and then claiming the results equal a better truck.

The amount of sag means nothing. How high did the truck sit to begin with? Ford may have very well designed the trucks suspension to compress more to begin with. Softer springs with more travel equals cushier ride while still offering weight capacity. If you pay attention the frame mounted camera that shows the suspension compression you will notice that both trucks end up with close to the same amount of distance left before they hit their respective bump stops. Beyond that, what exactly was the weight rating for each truck? Different packages and different weight ratings and whatnot eh?

It's just like their frame twist test. The Ford frame is most likely designed to have some twist to it to aid in off road prowess. If you watch that test very close you will notice that while the Chevy frame doesn't twist, it also can only keep two tires on the ground whereas the Ford manages to keep all four planted, due in some part to the frame twist. More tires on the ground equals better traction off road. They do their best to cut away from that shot fairly quick.

With all that stuff said, I have no doubt that Ford would try to stack the deck in their favor as well.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
it's all B.S.

just like in 2008/2009 when Toyota was making their Tundra videos that supposedly showed how bad the F-150 fared. If you watched the "behind the scenes" video on Toyota.com, you could see all the worktrucks they used to build the sets and test run the demonstrations. It took 1-2 weeks, but Toyota took down the video because it showed nothing but Fords and Chevy doing all the actual work, and in 1 case actually doing test

Watch all the videos, not just the bed weight one. You can pick apart each video with relative ease and clearly show that the "independant" testor was biased. But what do you expect when Chevy is paying them? It's just a shame that alot of people will see these videos and be too stupid to understand the crap their being shoveled.

I am interested in seeing the Ford response. I'm sure it will be something equally stupid. Hopefully they at least use Mike Rowe. We might be surprised though. Ford just got their behinds handed to them by the Aftermarket Parts Alliance. It was pretty funny to watch

Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 PM
02ranch250
Freshman User
another thing to look at is in the video you can tell that the pallet that is loaded on the super duty is packed alot tighter than the one loaded onto the chevy. you never know the center of the pallet on the chevy may be hollow with equals less weight than that loaded onto the ford

Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
they probably put airbags in the chebby. even if they didnt, such a stiff suspension like that would make for one hell of a crappy ride, so ill take my little saggin in the back for a better riding more dependable blue oval

Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by tylus
We might be surprised though. Ford just got their behinds handed to them by the Aftermarket Parts Alliance. It was pretty funny to watch

I'll bite. What's this about??

Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
I'm going to call a spade a spade here and I don't see any air bags or any false representation here. Chevy just designed a new chassis and suspension and there illustrating Chevy's strengths over the Ford.

One thing to add here is the '11 SD have 3 leaf springs which I'm pretty sure is how this truck in this test is equiped. What Chevy did leave out is Ford does offer the 4th spring (overload spring) as an option which would have prevented 6.3" of sag.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys make me looking bad. And I am talking as Ford owner.
Fords do sag a lot and I drive F450. Even with 5000 lb air bags my rear goes down under heavy load about a foot.
I have been writing several times here, that Fords are build for easy parking turning while getting groceries not for heavy hauling.
Sure some guys got exited reading about Ford making 182 mph with all associated BS but can't handle real life side to side competition.
I didn't check the measurement of both truck on the video, but I stopped it at 2:30 and right away I can see that Chevy has bigger wheelbase.
I guess that was 5th grade physics, that would explain why short base truck is way better at grocery parking lot, while longer base truck can haul safer.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
cds
Senior User
No matter what the results are, Chevy has been chasing Ford in sales for 30+ years!! I guess that must mean something??

Quick Reply: Chevy 2500HD vs. Ford F250 SD! THE TRUTH REVIELED!