1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sharing my 56 F100 project....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:18 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Dano,
Looking at all those carb parts laid out there gives me bad dreams. I never could get all those pieces back together correctly! I like the shift linkages - who needs Lokar when you can just weld some up.

Ben in Austin

Old 09-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add to the fact I took the carb apart over a week ago! I've done so many carbs now i can pretty much do Holleys, Carters, Edelbrocks and Autolites in my sleep. After you do a few, you get the hang of them. Started on my first when i was 16, i just learned out of necessity. Could never afford a new carb, so I just learned how to fix old ones i picked up at swamp meets. Kits were cheap, at least then. Nowadays if you get a rebuildable core carb for $50, spend $30 on a kit, $10/ea for floats (if needed) and any other pieces that need replacing you'd be close if not more that $100 into a rebuilt carb depending on what it needed. If you pay someone else to rebuild it, could be into it another $50-$100 on top of the carb and parts. A new carb isn't that much more, at least for some models.

Would you be surprised if I told you I didn't make a single cut on that linkage? Just took out 1 bend and added in a couple more. Still the exact same length that i started with! Almost as if it was meant to be.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck is coming along great! Do you have any pictures of the power steering setup? Got a bunch of pieces parts that have been sitting in boxes for a looong time.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Dano78
Elder User
The only pics I have right now are what's at the begining of this thread. Is there any in particular you're looking for? I might be able to get those pics for you. I have yet to deal with the powersteering hoses. Kinda started off a bit on it but figured i'd come back to them once the engine is running. I replaced the cam, so I prefer to break it in without haveing to worry about any issues witht he p.s. pump and any related leaks. got some more pics of a few things i did this weekend. Will post 'em up here in a bit. progress is slow, but is getting there. Seems like I'm always waiting on parts!!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 AM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting build thread, Dano. Nice work.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Mario Saenz
New User
I have a 1952 Ford F1 Truck I do not Know if the generator is 6v or 12v because the engine is of a different year do they have model or number to tell the difference between the 6v and the 12v generator?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Thanks raerjim... seems like it will never end. SOMEday I'll be driving this thing.

Mario- There should be a metal tag or plate on the generator on the main case that would tell you all this info.
In the even that you actually have an alternator, if it's factory ford or a quality rebuilt, there will be stampings on the outside casing on the forward-most section of the casing near where the long mounting bolt would slip through.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dano78
The only pics I have right now are what's at the begining of this thread. Is there any in particular you're looking for? I might be able to get those pics for you. I have yet to deal with the powersteering hoses. Kinda started off a bit on it but figured i'd come back to them once the engine is running. I replaced the cam, so I prefer to break it in without haveing to worry about any issues witht he p.s. pump and any related leaks. got some more pics of a few things i did this weekend. Will post 'em up here in a bit. progress is slow, but is getting there. Seems like I'm always waiting on parts!!
Just a pic of the front of the engine showing the brackets would be great if you can.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Ok here's a few of what I got. I got these brackets from a '68 F100. Pretty much this entire engine is dressed as if it were for a '68 F100 with the exception of the oil pa, which is a car pan. The press hose is a cut down factory Toyota pressure hose that has been cut down and a ford pump-style fitting crimped in it's place. I just mocked it up in place to show you what I have got so far. The pressure line may get re-worked a bit more. Don't like it that close to the oil dipstick. This bracket and pump setup is mainly use on all FE powered fseries trucks from '68-'76. The '67 and older ones are similiar but of different construction. Should work out just the same, brackets will look slightly different.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:47 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Didn't get a whole lot accomplished last weekend. More or less waiting on parts and dreading the cleanout of the fuel tank. Took the tank out and tore it apart. Rusty from about mid-line up, probably because the 10 gallons of varnish was protecting the lower half. Was able to bead blast the sending unit and save it. Ran the ohm meter on it and the sender still works good. Ordered up a new float for it. Now onto a few pics I took last weekend.

Here's what I was using for the time being to secure the rear axle. The stuff is from the donor '68 F100.

Here's the goods! This here is the '58-'60 axle mounting hardware. I went this way to retian the stock shock mounting situation.

And here with the stuff installe on the passenger side.

I really like this setup. Keeps the shocks stock and everything bolts right in. You use '53-'56 Ubolts and tie plates with '58-'60 plates and shock brackets. Makes for a very easy swap.

Also decided to start cleanin up the heater assembly. Tossed the pieces in the blast cabinet and went to town. Cleaned up nicely.

I blasted this piece too, and see that alot of the time it's just painted silver. Does anyone know if there is a re-popper out there that has these already chrome plated?? Would rather have this piece chrome than just painted silver.

Well hopefully this weekend will be more productive. I'd love to have that 390 fired and running this weekend.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 AM
gregstith
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice progress! Man, do I like the '56's. What's the update with the knee?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
NICE! Keep up the momentum. Jag

Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Thanks fellas! Just a little at a time...

As for my knee, they couldn't find anything. The MRI didn't show any damage at all, and went to the hospital for a ton of blood work. That didn't really show anything either. He said there were a couple levels that were a little higher than normal so he wanted me to see rumatoligist. (i doubt I spelled that right) I'm thinking, great.. this can't be good at my age. Anyways.. so I ended up with a cortizone injection to the knee and kicked out the door. Thus far, that knee (my left) has been doing fine. My right knee is acting up a bit, but nothing like my left was. Probably because I have been favoring one over the other. So i just try to take it as easy as I can. Hard to hold this kid down in one spot for long! Still waiting on an appointment for the rumatoligist.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:44 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Dano,

Can you post a couple more pics of the shock mounts...both top and bottom.

I'm working on a 52, but I have a 9" from a 65 F100 in mine. I was thinking of using the existing angled mounts that came on the axle, but the bolt-on mounts are looking pretty good.

By the way...thanks for posting all of your progress. I lost momentum this summer & I need to get moving again!!

Dan

Old 09-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Well Dan... we need to change that momentum, don't we? You're in luck, I don't have the other side done yet, so I'll take nice close up pics of the pieces and then closer/clearer pics of the installation. It really is straight forward. I'll try to get these pics for you tonight.

Quick Reply: Sharing my 56 F100 project....