1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

my 2000 F350 doesnt have reverse trailer lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
my 2000 F350 doesnt have reverse trailer lamps?

i just bought a 2004 20' key west center consol last wednesday, after asking allthe questions about the boat, motor, and trailer i asked about the surge brakes. the original owner said he never hooker up the blue reverse trailer lamp on his truck so he just used the reverse lock out clip. Well i want the reverse trailer lamp to work on my truck so ever time i back up i dont have to get out and put the pin in the trailer. So far i checked all the fuses for trailer reverse lamps and all are good but when i put my truck in reverse the center pin wont get 12volts? In my manual it reads fuse #39 is trailer reverse lamps but in my fuse panel under my hood there is no #39 plug? mine stops at #36 so what gives?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you might put this in the trailer thread.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:50 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
THANKS I'LL DO THAT

Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I'm not mistaken there is a trailer reverse light relay. Mine was missing and had to be installed. It was under the hood next to the fuse box. Iirc

Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
thanks bulla ill go look right now

Old 08-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Here you go.
Make sure you have fuse #4 and relay #38.
Might as well make sure you have the battery charge fuse #16 and relay #39 as well...

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
99_Under_Hood_Fuses.pdf (31.1 KB, 111 views)
Old 08-30-2011, 05:00 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't have the tow package so no backup lamp relay. I tapped into a back-up lamp wire and used that to get 12V to the surge brake solenoid when shifting into reverse. Wired with an in-line connector for easy connect and disconnect.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
I didn't have the tow package so no backup lamp relay. I tapped into a back-up lamp wire and used that to get 12V to the surge brake solenoid when shifting into reverse. Wired with an in-line connector for easy connect and disconnect.
Great point Robin! I completely forgot about the possibility that the OP may not even have the tow package. Good catch!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who would think these trucks don't come with a towing package! That just seems crazy! I guess it's one way to save a lil in production.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by gchavez
Great point Robin! I completely forgot about the possibility that the OP may not even have the tow package. Good catch!
Only someone without a tow package is going to think of that.

Originally Posted by bulla
Who would think these trucks don't come with a towing package! That just seems crazy! I guess it's one way to save a lil in production.
A diesel without a tow package is rather stupid. Not just the manufacturer but the person who originaly ordered the truck. I'm the second owner and had no idea it didn't have a tow package until I bought a 5th wheel. It's easy for me to spot them now. No tow package relays under hood and no 7 pin trailer plug.

I had to add a trailer battery charge relay.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
ok guys i have both the # 4 and 16 fuses, but i haveno relays. Apperently in 2000 theonly difference between towpackage and non tow package is them stupid relays! all super dutys have the 7pin its just the tworelays that make it TOW PACKAGE. so 20bucks later ihave tworelays andall my 7pin terminals work now.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
your right about that! a friggin lariat crew cab diesel with no relays, no camper overload, no limited slips!

Originally Posted by bulla

Old 08-30-2011, 07:30 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
and my dad bought the truck new off the lot in september of 2000, he had a 99 f350 ext cab long bed with 5.4 and it was a total dog! the dealer gave him a screaming dealon a trade for the 2000 diesel so he didnt care about the tow package or overload spring but now all he does is complain that he doesnt have them, so go figure.

A diesel without a tow package is rather stupid. Not just the manufacturer but the person who originaly ordered the truck. I'm the second owner and had no idea it didn't have a tow package until I bought a 5th wheel. It's easy for me to spot them now. No tow package relays under hood and no 7 pin trailer plug.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

At least you had the relay sockets sounds like...
If I understand Robin correctly....he didn't even have the sockets for that stuff.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by gchavez
At least you had the relay sockets sounds like...
If I understand Robin correctly....he didn't even have the sockets for that stuff.
Right. No relay box, so no relays and no 7 pin trailer connector. But I do have the overload springs, which are the camper package. Maybe the reason I have W code springs up front is because it might be part of the camper package. The build sheet says "Camper Package" but no details about what that includes.

Typically when you order a new truck with the tow package the relays and a trailer brake harness come in a plastic bag usually found in the glove box. At least this was the case a few years back. If you buy it used and the original owner didn't install those things they usually wind up missing.

Quick Reply: my 2000 F350 doesnt have reverse trailer lamps?