Campgrounds

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
There are ferries at Ticonderoga, Essex (probably the best for Burlington and takes you through Charlotte, VT and then North on Rt 7) and Plattsburgh. You can also take the new bridge at Crown Point or one that takes you through Plattsburgh to N. Hero, Vermont then on to Burlington.

The CG website we stay at is: Camping in Westport, New York Adirondack Camping at Its Finest. They haven't updated it for 2014, but I don't expect much change. There is another CG, Bulwagga Bay in Port Henry - seems to be usually quite full, but not very nice, being a municipal trailer park in an almost destitute village.
A bridge, really! We do not seem to get news like that downstate. That makes things a little more convenient. I am going to give that campground a look in Westport. It sounds familiar. And perhaps stay there 2015. We love visiting the Lake George Region in August because we love going to the Saratoga, both track and town. If I had my way, I would move there. However, we are trying to move away from the snow, not find more, LOL! But I think I would put up with the snow for a chance to live in the Adirondacks. It truly is one of my favorite places to visit.

If Hillock did not open in time, I was going to get a spot at Hearthstone. Stayed there many years ago when my wife and I were dating and in a tent, for two weeks. The fact that they have lake access/beach, trolley stops to LG Village, cleanliness, and the price, you cannot go wrong. Just have to put up with boondocking. Which is not an issue for us.

We do not roll into any 'Refugee Camps.' So thanks for the heads up. And thanks for the site and all of the info. This is much better than a RV Park review site. You can ask the questions you want answered.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I suggest you check the reviews of Hearthstone. It gets a lot of 'pressure' from way too many people, especially being so close to the Capital District and only a very few miles off the Northway (I-87). We've camped there, but many years ago, and it was OK.

We live only a very few miles South of Saratoga and try to avoid even going into town during the 6 week flat track season - unless we just want to 'enjoy' sitting in traffic on Broadway. We usually try to make at least one trip to the track where my wife will lose her budgeted $20 by the 3rd-4th race

Old 01-12-2014, 07:29 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
I suggest you check the reviews of Hearthstone. It gets a lot of 'pressure' from way too many people, especially being so close to the Capital District and only a very few miles off the Northway (I-87). We've camped there, but many years ago, and it was OK.

We live only a very few miles South of Saratoga and try to avoid even going into town during the 6 week flat track season - unless we just want to 'enjoy' sitting in traffic on Broadway. We usually try to make at least one trip to the track where my wife will lose her budgeted $20 by the 3rd-4th race
I am sorry, I am not following your post regarding Hearthstone, 'pressure.' Are you saying it is crowded because of its proximity to Albany and LG?
We haven't stayed there in about 9 or 10 years. However, we have driven through last year and it looked the same.

I can certainly relate to a motley crew of tourists, descending upon a town, for a short period, and disturbing the normal balance of everything. The town, shops, hotels, ect. only have like 6 weeks to make what they can for the season. So that drives the price of everything in town up. If we had to stay in a hotel in Saratoga, I do not believe we would bother going because of the increased price. But they do reek havoc on the town!

Your wife has the right ideas with gambling. Our cut off is $60! Bet big, win big! LOL!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:44 PM
mudfuel06
Elder User
Jekyll Island

Any reviews on the campground at Jekyll Island? We're camping there for our anniversary.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:01 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
here are some pics from my recent trips
pic 1 Fort wilderness Disney Orlando, Florida
pic 2 Sweetwater campground lake allatoona Canton, Georgia
pic 3 lake Kissimmee prairie preserve state park Okeechobee, Florida
pic 4 lake Kissimmee prairie preserve state park Okeechobee, Florida
pic 5 crooked creek campground Hill City, South Dakota

Attached Images      
Old 07-11-2014, 08:11 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by raptor131
Nice places, nice pics, nice kid and nice rig, there.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:46 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by raptor131

Thank you for sharing. We hope to travel first year of retirement and like seeing places to watch for on our trip.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Looks like we have forgotten this thread. We found that 6 of the 7 CGs that we stayed at over the past 3 weeks were very good. I only have a few photos in Photobucket so far but more to follow. The first is New Glasgow Highlands CG just outside of New Glasgow, Prince Edward Island. Great place though small. Clean, good facilities and owner/hosts, Les and Marlene had good advice for touring as well as places to eat. We stayed 7 nights:

Another was Hyclass CG near Harve-Boucher, Nova Scotia. This photo is a small bay on the Atlantic (or the Gulf of St Lawrence actually). Very nice, with some sites actually within a short stone;s throw from the waters edge. We stayed 3 nights plus did the Cape Breton tour - fantastic but long ride for one day:

Old 09-29-2014, 09:27 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Thumbs up

Yes, dont forget this thread and upload a lot of pics.
I love all kind of this pics Thanks for share them.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 PM
spud57
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like we have forgotten this thread. We found that 6 of the 7 CGs that we stayed at over the past 3 weeks were very good. I only have a few photos in Photobucket so far but more to follow. The first is New Glasgow Highlands CG just outside of New Glasgow, Prince Edward Island. Great place though small. Clean, good facilities and owner/hosts, Les and Marlene had good advice for touring as well as places to eat. We stayed 7 nights:

Hope you had a great time here on PEI. I'm sure you had a feed of lobster! New Glasgow Highlands is a real nice spot. We try to get there at least once a year.

Had to take a second look when I saw the picture of the Confederation Bridge.

Hope to get down your way next September after the Loudon race.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by spud57
Hope you had a great time here on PEI. I'm sure you had a feed of lobster! New Glasgow Highlands is a real nice spot. We try to get there at least once a year.

Had to take a second look when I saw the picture of the Confederation Bridge.

Hope to get down your way next September after the Loudon race.

Oh yeah - we for sure helped decimate the lobster population with 1-1/2 pounders at New Glasgow Lobster Suppers along with a big bucket of mussels and a couple bowls of chowder along with a nice dessert. We also had a couple suppers at PEI Preserve Co restaurant. Then just for the fun of it, went to the Potato Museum - which is really interesting:

Old 11-10-2014, 11:56 AM
SPD&PWR
Senior User
Very Nice Pictures!!!!!

Old 11-10-2014, 02:27 PM
SPD&PWR
Senior User
This was a nice place to stay at... Santa Rosa RV Resort in Navarre, FL

St Rosa RV Resort in Navarre Near Destin and Pensacola Florida

Old 01-22-2015, 10:02 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey Hey we are going back to Navarre - just made reservations for a condo, three couples are all going again !!!
Not going to drag the rv down there yet

I did (re)find a site that has photos of different parks:
Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews - campsitephotos.com

use it and good sam and rvparkreviews.com and even google to check out the areas of places we want to stay out...

One place seemed perfect from all the ites, got on google street view and the street behind the park had bars on all the houses that weren't abandoned

Old 01-23-2015, 12:02 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
hey Hey we are going back to Navarre - just made reservations for a condo, three couples are all going again !!!
Not going to drag the rv down there yet

I did (re)find a site that has photos of different parks:
Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews - campsitephotos.com

use it and good sam and rvparkreviews.com and even google to check out the areas of places we want to stay out...

One place seemed perfect from all the ites, got on google street view and the street behind the park had bars on all the houses that weren't abandoned
Great Link.........Thank You

Quick Reply: Campgrounds