Sponsored by: Moser

On board air for my highboy

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:21 AM
akforceten
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On board air for my highboy

I have been doing a lot of research on this subject an I have been collecting all the parts that I needed . I still have a few more things to get but it's time to start the project. I went to a place called Trade an Tools an bought a small compressor that had a bad motor, cost was $35 this provided the pressure switch, the gauges, air manifold, an of course the tank. I also got a york A/C compressor 210 model from the wrecking yard an I went to perform the oil modification but mine was already done. Here's the link

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_oilmod.html

I still need to get all the lines an mount everything. This will take some time but I will get it done . Things I have done is to clean the mounting bracket for compressor an the crank pulley . Tear apart the small compressor an figure out where I'm going to mount everything . I did take some pic's of what I have now so here you go

Compressor bracket

That's all I have done for now ,must wait for payday to get the rest of the stuff .

Old 08-29-2011, 05:11 PM
MiddleNameMUD
Senior User
I'm going to subscribe to this thread as I have been wanting to do this for some time, looks like you got a great start. What vehicle did you pull that compressor off of? I'm going to look around but most of the J.Y's around me don't have much in the way of older rides... I'm going to make some calls but don't know what year and models to ask for...

Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
akforceten
Elder User
I pulled the compressor off of a 78 ford f-150 2wd with a 351m.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 AM
Nod
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On board air

akforceten,Thanks for the tip on the oil modification,I run a york 10 with an exterior oilier and my pump gets real hot sometimes so that looks like it might fix that for me.I will probably keep the exterior oilier as I run a big oil and water separator now.For those who do not have the money to get a pressure switch you can use an old pressure switch from a residential well.I have a well for my water supply so I had a couple of used ones laying around,they are 220 volt AC but will handle DC 12 volts very well as mine has been on the truck for over ten years now. You will have to get a small fitting so you can hook up a 1/4" copper or plastic tube for the signal,I tried plastic for awhile but it would get to hot and pop at the main line so I just went with copper.Don't forget a 150 lb pop off valve as these compressors will blow your air lines if for some reason the switch gets stuck open.Hope this helps.

"bowties in the rearview mirror"

Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 AM
akforceten
Elder User
Your welcome Nod, glad I could help. This build is on a tight budget. That is why I found a dead 110 volt air compressor with a burned up motor . It was cheap an will provide a lot of parts you will need.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:03 PM
supercabfreak
Elder User
Originally Posted by Nod
akforceten,Thanks for the tip on the oil modification,I run a york 10 with an exterior oilier and my pump gets real hot sometimes so that looks like it might fix that for me.I will probably keep the exterior oilier as I run a big oil and water separator now.For those who do not have the money to get a pressure switch you can use an old pressure switch from a residential well.I have a well for my water supply so I had a couple of used ones laying around,they are 220 volt AC but will handle DC 12 volts very well as mine has been on the truck for over ten years now. You will have to get a small fitting so you can hook up a 1/4" copper or plastic tube for the signal,I tried plastic for awhile but it would get to hot and pop at the main line so I just went with copper.Don't forget a 150 lb pop off valve as these compressors will blow your air lines if for some reason the switch gets stuck open.Hope this helps.

"bowties in the rearview mirror"
even after you plug the oil suction hole the compressor will still get VERRY hot, this is ok it gets as hot or hotter pumping freon. i did the same conversion as shown in the above link you will still want to run a oil/water separator regaurdless of how you set it up i have a check valve ontop of the york and a flex line running over to the fender and imediatly into the separator that way no oil/water/junk coming out of the compressor can reak havok on my gauges/preshure switches.

i also have a interior air preshure gauge and a manual over ride switch in the cab, i have pictures of my set up il post when i get home thursday

p.s. i would not recomend useing atf as a internal lube for the york i use rotilla SAE 30 or a oil meant specificly for compressor crank case lube

Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 AM
akforceten
Elder User
I can't wait to your pic's supercabfreak. When I tore my york apart to do that oil mod the hole wasn't there. Mine was made by borg warner .

Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm subscribing as well as I've been planning on something similar & have the york a buddy gave me off his 76 F-250 to use. The difference on my setup is I am hoping to spin mine off the center driveshaft in my '74 highboy crew.

*edit* Here's another thread I had saved on this in case anyone here hasn't seen it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...board-air.html

Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Witty73
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill Sub, I want to do this to my 76 F350

Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
akforceten
Elder User
Thanks guys for subscribing . Just be patience with me as I only get to work on thing's during the weekend an when there is some cash flow for some needed parts

Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 AM
supercabfreak
Elder User
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
I'm subscribing as well as I've been planning on something similar & have the york a buddy gave me off his 76 F-250 to use. The difference on my setup is I am hoping to spin mine off the center driveshaft in my '74 highboy crew.

*edit* Here's another thread I had saved on this in case anyone here hasn't seen it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...board-air.html

chasetruck it would probably be easyer to run the york off a pto on the transmission. that way you wouldnt have to shift the Tcase into neutral everytime you want to run your york. i am verry interested to see your set up with the electric clutch.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:22 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I was thinking the drivesahft was better than the PTO. I plan to only really be running the thing if I am sitting there (meaning not driving around) so shifting the t-case into neutral doesn't bother me. At least at this point and in my theory it doesn't...

Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 PM
akforceten
Elder User
I will be making the bracket's to mount the air tank an mounting the compressor . Of course I will take lot's of pic's

Old 09-02-2011, 11:28 PM
supercabfreak
Elder User
hey guys its been a couple days i just got home from the mountains of NC and figured out my internet isnt working so im reouting my laptop through my phone :P

here are some pictures i promised earlyer, granted these were taken before i had a real manifold/splitter at the preshure switch and before i added my air horn il get out tomorow and take some pictures of the revised system

i used the factory A/C brakets for a 390 instead of fabbing my own........30 bucks at the pick n pull was well worth it i curently dont have any pictures of the tank and lines back to them il get some tomorow with the others

Old 09-03-2011, 12:22 PM
pocket booger
Freshman User
I'm subscibed

Quick Reply: On board air for my highboy