Sponsored by:

96 F150 300 to 86 Bronco.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Edward_U
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 F150 300 to 86 Bronco.

Hows it going everyone? First time poster and Ford owner here!

I was hoping someone could help me with a question I have about an engine swap I'm planning on doing. As the title says I have a 1996 F150 with the 300 sitting under the hood, it's a standard 5 speed and only a 4x2. My buddy wants to sell me his 86 Bronco for $500 (his 302's block cracked this past Thursday hence the cheap price.)

I want to swap the 300 into the Bronco along with the standard transmission, what I don't know is what else will have to follow into the Bronco from the F150. Both engines are EFI so from what I understand it should be a really easy swap, figured I'd ask the pros first.

If I end up just keeping the auto tranny in the bronco, would the 300 just bolt right in and run?

All advise will be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:10 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yay! A 300 swap.

You are going to need EVERYTHING from the engine bay of the f-150 including the wiring harness and the computer (in the firewall behind the driver's inner fender). The engine mount plates (not the actual motor mounts but those too) from the frame crossmember will be needed too. You may have to do some minor fabrication to fit the clutch pedal/clutch master cylinder assembly into the 86 as this setup changed in these trucks sometime late 80's (sorry I cannot recall exactly when). There may be a cover plate over the location where the clutch master cylinder should go in the 86 but I'm not as well versed in this vintage as others might be. '92+ models have this and the swap is bolt-in and go.

To run the 300 with the automatic you will need a flexplate for the 300.

Yes, both engines are EFI but the changes to the equipment between 96 and 96 are substantial. To the best of my knowledge the 300's never got MAF (Mass Air Flow) as an OEM upgrade. (Someone else may know better). To be certain everything will work and for ease of installation, just swap everything electrical from the engine bay and the computer. You have the entire donor truck so you shouldn't need anything beyond what is in it already assuming its a running donor.

If I were you, I'd let this post sit a day or three and see what additional information you get. It may be simpler to keep the auto or even to find a clutch pedal and MC setup from an older Bronco or F-series. Don't quote me on that, I just don't know enough to give any more accurate info than what I've already posted.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:26 AM
Edward_U
New User
Thanks for the reply! Yes my F150 is still running strong (just hit the 170k mark and still truckin!) The only thing wrong with the Bronco is the block being cracked and the fact that it's automatic (I'm a huge fan of having complete control over my vehicle.) If all I have to worry about is minor fabrication and swapping all the electrical components from my F150 to the Bronco, I'll be starting this project up as soon as I get more input on what else I will need to do to make this possible.

Please keep the info coming!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
What kind of sensors are there between engine and tranny for a MT and a 96? I know if it were an E4OD I'd hate swapping without taking the transmission, and for an 86, the rear axle.

If the MT truck still gets data from the rear axle, you're going to have to find a way to fake it, or convert your manual speed sensor cable on the bronco to give an electronic signal to your motor. I know there are adapters that fit into the t-case that will give you both a mechanical and electric signal, usually for aftermarket speedos and they're cheap.

MT people, what about the other electronics? How much feedback would the motor get from the manual transmission? I know with E4ODs, it's a lot, all of which would have to be taken into consideration if swapping the motor and not the transmission. But i've always ***.umed that Ford didn't wire up MTs like they did the electronic shift autos.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
None. ECM is not looking for any information from the M5 transmission. It monitors engine functions only (which is why finding an ECM for a truck with a manual trans will work for early (non-electronic) automatic trans swaps as well (I.E. C6 swaps). The electronic automatics (E4OD/700R4) need the information to and from engine and transmission to control shift points and protect against over revving of the engine.

And since 86 models didn't have an E4OD, PSOM or use VSS information for cruise control, there is no issue making the swap with just the engine electronics, engine and transmission.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:29 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
he doesn't want the transmission though, he's trying to keep the old auto, probably to save from 2x4 to 4x4 issues.. and I know the 96 needs VSS info for TPS, O2 sensor, EGR, smog .. well, just about every sensor in the 96 motor

grey, you sure the 86 wouldn't have a VSS in the t-case like my 90 does? I dunno about the early computers. I know in my 90 the VSS piggybacks the speedocable into the transfercase instead of going into the rearend like his 96 2wd would.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:36 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Actually Grey, the 300's recieved MAF ~Latter part of 1995, and all the 1996's had it.......

Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 AM
Edward_U
New User
No I do want to keep the standard transmission, and from what greystreak is saying it's going to be really easy. I copied this post over to the F150 forums and was told this:

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
You'll need the I6 Engine Perches, and if taking the 5 speed with it into the bronco, you'll need the tranny X-Member....

Swap the drivelines....

And pull the computer, etc from the truck, and swap onto the bronco....

Otherwise, should be a plug-n-play setup....

Radiators will have to be swapped also...The hoses are reversed between the 2 setups....
So all in all it looks to be a pretty easy swap.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:38 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Also...You need to take the rearend from the truck, and swap it into the bronco...For the VSS......

My truck has the plug in the differential housing....So yeah the rearend will need to be swapped also.....Not a biggie....

Old 08-29-2011, 01:39 AM
Edward_U
New User
Haha just finished that post and saw your reply, awesome.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:43 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

BTW Edward....WELCOME TO FTE!

Stick around man...If you go through with this swap...You'll definantly be called upon for another perspective....

Old 08-29-2011, 01:43 AM
Edward_U
New User
I was also reading something about needing to swap fuel components because of the difference of pressure required in 300 and 302. Can either of you shed some light on this topic?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

The fuel pressure regulator will need to be swapped (Upper part of the fuel lines, at the rear of the Intake manifold...)

The 300/302's have different ones...One is a 2 bolt setup, and the other is a 3 bolt setup....

IIRC, the 300 is the 2 bolt setup...Don't hold me to that...Either way...There's ya answer....

Sorry I forgot about it earlier...You picked my brain...lol

Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
sweet, so I was right about the VSS.

be sure to post as you progress.. I'm still sorta considering a 300 swap myself.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:48 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ErrorS
sweet, so I was right about the VSS.

be sure to post as you progress.. I'm still sorta considering a 300 swap myself.
Do it.....It'd be a unique thing.....Most swap a 300 for a 302....

And in all actuality, they kill themselves swapping a 4.9l I6 for a 4.9l v8...

All that work for 2 cubic inches...Makes ya wonder eh?

Quick Reply: 96 F150 300 to 86 Bronco.