1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

historical documents

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:08 PM
fordsforme!
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
historical documents

i needing a clear signed title and vin plate for my 53 f-100 project do you have these or know where i can get them. seller never came thru on the paperwork.might consider a papers and vin tag for a 54 .

Old 08-28-2011, 09:28 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
So, the polite term for your situation is 'challenging'. There are other terms, of course. While every state's rules are different, getting a title without the release of the PO may be tough. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:57 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
what

what state are you in ? What state is the truck from ?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:17 AM
fordsforme!
Junior User
im in kentucky truck is from kentucky... but came originally from kansas in the 70's. these guys bought the truck back then on halves, then they fell out very bad so the older brother junked the title and ripped out the vin tag on spite. the younger brother kept the truck for 20 years with no paper work. then i bought the truck without the paper work of vin tag. the older brther gave the younger one the original title the other day but the he never offered it to me he said it was no good where it had been junked in 1996.the older brother still has the vin tag but turned loose of the title. big mess and not fair i bought the truck with good faith but there making it hard on me cause the don;t get along. not sure what to do at this point . a title in kentucky can be unjunked if the last name on the title would agree to sign the proper paperwork but i dont think this will happen. help

Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Listen. This is simple. I live in the same county as you and I know those people in the clerk's office personally. Those brothers are crazy. Plain and simple. You get that title and take it to the courthouse and they will help you. Kentucky is one of the more reasonable states around to help with salvaged or "old, junk" titles. IF, by some miracle, the clerk wants to see the VIN number, I will bring a wire brush on a drill to the courthouse or to your house and we will find that number on the frame rail. Don't worry about that VIN tag. Let those 2 brothers eat each other if they want. The VIN number that counts is the one on the frame rail that they probably don't even know exists. But you get that title no matter how old it is. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

EDIT: Better yet, just call the sheriff and tell him to come over and visit that brother and ask him why he won't let you have the title after you paid him. And have him call me if he needs a "witness" to what you said several weeks ago when you called me and told me the story and how much you paid. I'm just worried that these brothers are gonna suddenly produce that title and claim that truck is theirs right about the time you drive it down the road someday with a nice shiny restoration and paint job.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
fordsforme,
I sent you a PM.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:55 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go get 'em Doc!!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:44 PM
fordsforme!
Junior User
i sandblasted the entire frame to the metal but was easy on the number on the frame. painted it black they are very easly seen. right frame rail in front of the cab corner ... i called frankfort and the lady said that the only way legaly to get the truck titled was to get the guy whos name is on the title to go to the local court house and apply for a duplicate title reinstating the original from the archives. she said it would be around 8 bucks to do this then the title would come back in his name the he could then sign the back as the seller and then me filling out the other side . i could then send it off and it would come back clear in my name and be an original title. she said thats the only legal way. she asked how long that i had owned the truck i said 2 years she said if i had owned it 5 years that i could get a title of ownership with a witness but i have not owned it this long and i dont want to lie and get bit in the *** later . doc im 25 minutes or so from you come over some time and look at the truck and i'll show you the numbers on the frame.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:54 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I think from the description of the situation Doc gave, the problem is going to be that there are TWO names on the title, ie., it is held jointly. Would require two signatures on the duplicate title. I hope not.

If you sandblasted the frame, you could always throw a mechanic's lien on the title, for oh, say, about the amount you paid....

Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,441 Likes on 1,390 Posts
I agree with Doc. He has good advice. The last thing you want to do is to try and register this truck with phony tags. Doing so would be a violation of federal motor vehicle laws, and the penalties are very stringent. There is a known legal owner who is loony, and legal paperwork floating around for this truck. It's not like the title is long lost and the truck was last owned by 40 year dead people who would never care. This is a sure recipe for disaster. With the title, they can (and sounds like they probably would) come and get the truck after you did a bunch of work on it, and sure enough, you'd lose. Getting caught with phony vin phony tags could land you in prison as well as confiscation of the truck. Get this mess straight with the state before investing another dime in it.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:42 AM
fordsforme!
Junior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I agree with Doc. He has good advice. The last thing you want to do is to try and register this truck with phony tags. Doing so would be a violation of federal motor vehicle laws, and the penalties are very stringent. There is a known legal owner who is loony, and legal paperwork floating around for this truck. It's not like the title is long lost and the truck was last owned by 40 year dead people who would never care. This is a sure recipe for disaster. With the title, they can (and sounds like they probably would) come and get the truck after you did a bunch of work on it, and sure enough, you'd lose. Getting caught with phony vin phony tags could land you in prison as well as confiscation of the truck. Get this mess straight with the state before investing another dime in it.
53 merc you and doc are right i called the one that i bought the truck from and he assured me several times that he would make the older brother whos name is on the title go to the court house with me a re instate the title . then in a few days i could get the truck put in my name with a good title not a salvage or rebuilt. i freaked out when i started talking to people about this cause i have every reciept that i have spent on the truck and im getting close to 4,800 total invested so far and the truck is still in buckets and boxes most of it still in the barn. anyway getting another vin tag and title is risky even if it was clear and put in my name this is a small area and to many people knows where the truck came from and the situation. i would get in trouble and cant afford that. he said he would call him and ask him nicely and if he refused he said that he would take him to court and make him sign it. i dont like being pulled into there wars i just want a damn title. haven't heard from them yet been 4 days or so. on the bright side of things the frame looks awsome better than new i built a mean little roller 302 and a aod trans. finally got my trans bracket and motor mounts from speedway...gonna build a engine stand attach the trans and start it im dieing to hear it run . i want to upload pics of this truck and motor but not sure how. thanks guys for the advice, i'll keep updating the situation.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by fordsforme!
anyway getting another vin tag and title is risky even if it was clear and put in my name this is a small area and to many people knows where the truck came from and the situation. i would get in trouble and cant afford that..
You got that right! EVERYBODY knows everybody's business around here as you already know. Keep the heat on those peckerwoods.

As far as the pictures go, you'll have to post them first to something like shutterfly, photobucket, etc. on the the internet Then copy the url address and paste it into the post using that icon above called "Insert Image". You can't directly upload pictures to the threads unless you're a paid "supporter" member. But even then, it can be a big PITA sometimes. Call me and I'll walk you through it if you have trouble.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:52 PM
fordsforme!
Junior User
Originally Posted by Doc
You got that right! EVERYBODY knows everybody's business around here as you already know. Keep the heat on those peckerwoods.

As far as the pictures go, you'll have to post them first to something like shutterfly, photobucket, etc. on the the internet Then copy the url address and paste it into the post using that icon above called "Insert Image". You can't directly upload pictures to the threads unless you're a paid "supporter" member. But even then, it can be a big PITA sometimes. Call me and I'll walk you through it if you have trouble.
i'll keep after them doc you can be sure of that. well i went out today to take the front clip off again and took about 5 or 6 bolts out and went back in the house damn it was hot over here today ah anyway i need two factory truck steel wheels for my truck have good ones on the rear but it has ugly chrome ones on the front want to paint them red and put moons and beauty rings on them if you come across any let me know. i will have to get the wife to help with the picture thing .

Old 09-13-2011, 11:16 AM
fordsforme!
Junior User
Originally Posted by Doc

Well it been several days and no word from those *******s so im giving up on the project . im keeping the 302 i built and trans i have the motor mounts and trans mount to adapt the aod and 302 into these trucks for sale got them from speedway. im going to list the truck . its a god**** shame that i couldn't fix the truck i had wanted since i was 16.the guys are never going to give in and do whats right so im not going to have it setting under the carport taking up space if i can't never finish it. i will list it as a parts truck if anyone is interested pm me . the truck is in eastern kentucky .. im very pissed about the whole situation. i have every part to this truck to complete it.the truck does not have a title .has the best cab i have seen.i have completely redone the frame in black it was stripped to the bare metal and redone looks like a new one. since im in a terrible mood im thinking about putting the aod and the new 302 in my 1950 chevy 1/2 ton. that would be different a 302 in a chevy

Old 09-13-2011, 11:21 AM
fordsforme!
Junior User
i hope these two brothers that have caused this for me is reading and i hope yall have diarea for ever and i hope it worries you and cost as much as you have me.

Quick Reply: historical documents