1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

historical documents

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:36 PM
JBjorgaard
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
In NM, failure to transfer title within 30 days of the date it was bought (i.e., when seller dated the sale on the title) gets you a penalty of a dollar a day.

YIKES! Remind me never to move to NM...I thought KS @ $1/Month was silly...should be a flat fee + taxes IMO.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I just called the courthouse here and talked to another friend and asked an "anonymous" question. She said that (considering the VIN number was never registered in the state of KY) you could indeed apply for a rebuild title. BUT, you need to contact the department of motor vehicles in Kansas and confirm that the truck did indeed have a past title in that state. And I like smitty49's thinking. Let them have it otherwise.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 PM
fordsforme!
Junior User
well what a day guys i guess the old truck gods shined light on me today, i have some news.. i was at my old mans house talking to him about it there was a guy coming today wanting to trade a 67 galaxie 500 with a 390 with factory air and another fellow with a 67 mustang 289 both wanting to trade and i almost did today, man that galaxie was sweet .when i was leaving walking to my truck my cell phone rang . so i checked it i i''ll be damned if it wasn't roger the one i bought it from and he was nice as hell to me. he said that i could come and get the papers he had so i jumped in my truck and went down there and he handed me the court house copys of the title with the last reg papers and the papers where they had signed to junk it. yes it was junked in 1997 for social security reasons is what they told me what ever that means. so the title was junked.roger told me to call ronnie the brother whos name is on the title, ronnie told me over the phone today that he went to whitchata kansas in 1972 and hauled the truck home and drove it for 10 years here in kentucky. the last time it was tagged and regestered was april of 1985.then for some crazy reason they junked it in 97. he said today that he sold the truck to there nephew in 1988 and then roger got the truck from the nephew in 1994.he kept it till i bought it last year in june. ronnie had the truck in his name from 72 till 1997 when it was junked.ronnie said that he would go to the court house this coming monday and reinstate the original title in his name and told that when it came back that we could go to our local notary and have it signed over to me like i bought it from him i hope he dosen't try to get it back yikes .i agree with doc i think that roger who i bought it from held the papers till his lawyer found out if there was any taxes owed.since it was junked there would be none tho and if there was it would be up to ronnie to pay them right.they said at the court house that it would cost 8 bucks to reinstate it and then 8 bucks to send it back off so it would come back in my name.talk about timing i sold my 72 torino last year to a guy from ny and 2 days later roger called me asking if i still wanted the old ford i had asked him about when i was 17.now just as im today getting ready to trade it they call wanting to get the papers strait now that just weird. the vin isnt a problem doc the one that i had when you called today was ford a truck that started f60 and rated at 17,000 lbs gvw clearly not the one i was hoping it was but i will keep digging in those boxes of stuff maybe it will turn up, once i get it in my name i can get a new plate ordered and stamped out. sorry for talking so much guys but im excited now and ready to install my engine oh but wait i better hold out till its in my name rightim young guys and love old trucks im 28 not many people my age like old rusty trucks i just trusted them to much i guess where i have known them most of my life anyways i will keep yall updated

Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
So, I have to ask, is the vin on the title the same as the number stamped on your frame? If it's not, this whole thing has been a waste of time as those papers do not belong to your truck. You may want to check into that before this mess gets any deeper.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Great news one step closer... Like 52 Merc said Check the title and the frame numbers and make sure they match.....

Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Ahhhh.......the beauty of the bluegrass state. I talked to him today. It sounds like he's home free based on what I've seen and experienced in my lifetime around here. Let's just leave it at that. A good lesson has been learned with this whole experience as you might imagine.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 AM
fordsforme!
Junior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
So, I have to ask, is the vin on the title the same as the number stamped on your frame? If it's not, this whole thing has been a waste of time as those papers do not belong to your truck. You may want to check into that before this mess gets any deeper.
merc the numbers on the frame reads f10v5f10435 the numbers on the title paprers they gave me is f10d3h24553 the frame is a 55 and cab is a 53 remember they had three trucks at one time thats why i have so many extra parts and the 55 frame . kentucky is one of the few more easy going states on olders cars and trucks they still let people unjunk titles as of now that might change in the future .here at my local court house they dont even look at the frame they didn't on the 50 chevy and it came from tennessee.they didnt look at the frame at all just took the papers in the courthouse and they sent them off for a title transfer to me. the ladies that are there wouldn't know where to look anyway.if i can get the title in my name on the ford i can get a title only transfer cause its not ready for the road yet anyway and im thinking it will be fine now if i was trying to get a salvage title or something like that i might run into problems but not sure on that just have to see what happens.if we make it out like he selling it to me they will never now at my court house about all this mess. lets hope anyway

Old 09-16-2011, 08:24 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You've got to love the Brotherhood of FTE. How many people would have just gave up on this. How many members out there have benefitted from the help and inspiration of the guys on these forums. Kuddo's to you all.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 AM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Where can he find those data plates to stamp to match the title? I think

LMC has one blank. Thanks goes to DOC for the behind the scenes work to help another FTE member. chuck

Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Go ask the guy you bought it from for the title that his brother released. If he says he doesn't have it then file for an abandened title... and then contact Tags Backeast, Trim Tags Backeast, Data Plates, A.G.Backeast. We make tags for AMC, Buick, Cadillac, Camaro, Chevelle, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Corvette, Dodge, DeSoto, Edsel, Ford, Frazer, La Salle, Henry J, Kaiser, Lincoln, Mercury, Mustang, Oldsmobile for a patent plate
The link above and here is for A.G. Backeast, once the title is in your name, they stamp your serial number on a replacement tag.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 AM
JBjorgaard
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordsforme!
im young guys and love old trucks im 28 not many people my age like old rusty trucks i just trusted them to much i guess where i have known them most of my life anyways i will keep yall updated
Heh, I'm there with you @30...The truck was actually the wife's idea (she's 27), but she likes the trucks as they look on magazine covers so I'm not sure if that counts!

As far as the title craziness...who knew they even titled vehicles back then!

Glad to hear it may all work out!

Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 PM
fordsforme!
Junior User
Originally Posted by yamagrant
You've got to love the Brotherhood of FTE. How many people would have just gave up on this. How many members out there have benefitted from the help and inspiration of the guys on these forums. Kuddo's to you all.
well your right i was really upset about the whole thing you know i was really worried this will hopefully i have it worked out and i hope that in the future that this thread will maybe help others .

Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 PM
fordsforme!
Junior User
Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup
Where can he find those data plates to stamp to match the title? I think

LMC has one blank. Thanks goes to DOC for the behind the scenes work to help another FTE member. chuck
yes ur right 49fordpickumup doc does get a pat on the back for incourging me he called me about three of four times and kept me after these guys there are others on here that hepled along the way trust me i am grateful for the interest and suggestions otherwise i would have given up .thanks guys really i didnt notice that guys were interested in this mess from australia to canada from maine to califorina thats pretty cool good forum good bunch of guys .thanks again

Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by fordsforme!
yes ur right 49fordpickumup doc does get a pat on the back for incourging me he called me about three of four times and kept me after these guys there are others on here that hepled along the way trust me i am grateful for the interest and suggestions otherwise i would have given up .thanks guys really i didnt notice that guys were interested in this mess from australia to canada from maine to califorina thats pretty cool good forum good bunch of guys .thanks again
No you should pat yourself on the back. We just encouraged you. In the meantime, I was just gathering up a lynch mob to take across the mountain to help you if needed.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like things are looking up!!

If you have the frame laying around that has the same number as the one on your paperwork....you should keep it, or cut out the section with the number (and keep it)...that way nobody will ever show up at the DMV trying to register a truck with the same VIN as yours!

Dan

Quick Reply: historical documents