General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Foundation crack (vertical)...earthquake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It looks like the left side has sunk! What does the floor look like? Can you put a level on the floor and see if the air bubble goes UP to the RIGHT any? I am not a structural engeneer and I did NOT spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express last night but that does not look good from here.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is that a masonry wall??? Looks like the mortar joints are not staggered (that's not good). but maybe I am looking at it wrong. It is a pretty bad picture.

I agree with Copedawg said...If the picture is a true view and it is sloping down to the left, you have some issues. Somebody suggested a crack monitor and that is a good idea.

A structural Engineer in your area will look at for a few Hundred bucks. If you just fill the crack and it is still moving, you will not have accomplished anything. Good Luck!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Copedawg
It looks like the left side has sunk! What does the floor look like? Can you put a level on the floor and see if the air bubble goes UP to the RIGHT any? I am not a structural engeneer and I did NOT spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express last night but that does not look good from here.
It hasn't sunk. The picture sucks (cell phone picture). The crack is about the only thing of value in that picture.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:39 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I don't claim to be a structural engineer but what I see from the picture is nothing I would be overly concern about in that it has not opened a gap or shifted. Cracks like that are common in masonry walls. My guess is that brick you see if fascia brick and not structural. Won't hurt to put some epoxy as recommended. Look farther in the area for other signs of shifting walls, etc and monitor.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by raytasch
I don't claim to be a structural engineer but what I see from the picture is nothing I would be overly concern about in that it has not opened a gap or shifted. Cracks like that are common in masonry walls. My guess is that brick you see if fascia brick and not structural. Won't hurt to put some epoxy as recommended. Look farther in the area for other signs of shifting walls, etc and monitor.
Yeah...I need to get back in the crawlspace and check that spot again (the other side of that wall).

I'll do some more research and keep my eyes on that spot.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:12 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Those aren't bricks. The concrete forms that were used are imprinted with the brick look.
As far as the crack is concerned, if it hasn't cracked all the way through to the inside. You can just drill a hole at both ends of the crack to stop it from going any further. Then bevel out the crack with a chisel or grinder. Then get a caulking tube of crack filler made by Quick Crete and squeeze it into the crack. and wet your finger and smooth out the filler and you're done.
Ask This Old House recently did a segment on a real bad foundation crack, so you may go to their website and have a look at it.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Can you take another picture that shows about 3'X3' section of the crack?

Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by *2fords*
Those aren't bricks. The concrete forms that were used are imprinted with the brick look.
As far as the crack is concerned, if it hasn't cracked all the way through to the inside. You can just drill a hole at both ends of the crack to stop it from going any further. Then bevel out the crack with a chisel or grinder. Then get a caulking tube of crack filler made by Quick Crete and squeeze it into the crack. and wet your finger and smooth out the filler and you're done.
Ask This Old House recently did a segment on a real bad foundation crack, so you may go to their website and have a look at it.
I figured as much. The way it cracked, it definitely looked like it's one continuous piece.

I'll check that out.

Can you take another picture that shows about 3'X3' section of the crack?
Do you mean 3" x 3" ? The crack itself is maybe a foot long. I'll see if I can do that tomorrow morning. I'll have to find the wifeys camera. The Blackberry camera didn't cut it.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Nah, 3'X3' (or bigger) section is what I meant. three feet/foot by three feet/foot, please.
Right now you have almost 1(one)'(foot)X(by)1(one)'(foot).
'=foot
"=inch

Old 08-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Nah, 3'X3' (or bigger) section is what I meant. three feet/foot by three feet/foot, please.
Right now you have almost 1(one)'(foot)X(by)1(one)'(foot).
'=foot
"=inch
Yup...I didn't know if maybe you had reversed them.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:30 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
I should have probably said this the first time I posted…I know everyone (and rightly so) are very leery of getting insurance involved early or at all.

My view on this ....it is calculated risk, if you ever wanted to sell the house you will need an inspection, then if the inspector is trying to cover his career…he will suggest a structural engineer to look at it........ then sale is pending until you get a clean bill of health or it is fixed…if it is done now you have a record fixed correctly or …..a statement saying no need to worry…

Again only saving issues latter on and in a market that is buyer driven…too many option for someone to walk away at the littlest of issues...perceived or real

Last edited by IB Tim; 08-30-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by IB Tim
I should have probably said this the first time I posted…I know everyone (and rightly so) are very leery of getting insurance involved early or at all.

My view on this ....it is calculated risk, if you ever wanted to sell the house you will need an inspection, then if the inspector is trying to cover his career…he will suggest a structural engineer to look at it........ then sale is pending until you get a clean bill of health or it is fixed…if it is done now you have a record fixed correctly or …..a statement saying no need to worry…

Again only saving issues latter on and in a market that is buyer driven…too many option for someone to walk away at the littlest of issues...perceived or real
You're right. However, you can't even see it from few feet away. In hindsight...for all I know...it's been there for a while. I'll get into the crawlspace this weekend and see if there's an issue on the other side.

I just bought the house last year. That's something I won't have to worry about for a while (knock on wood).

Here's how it looks from a few feet away (with the $h1tty cell phone camera). Again...I'm not sure what's up with the distortion of the camera. There doesn't appear to be an issue (other than the crack) firsthand.

Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 PM
billt28
Fleet Mechanic
How old is the house? To me, it looks nothing more than a normal crack that is not below the surface (not deep). I don't think it is anything to worry about. If your that concerned about it, use some marking paint and keep an eye on it to see if it gets longer or wider. I work construction and see bigger cracks than that in new homes.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Cool...thanks for the link. I'll see if Lowe's has anything like that in stock.

Originally Posted by billt28
How old is the house? To me, it looks nothing more than a normal crack that is not below the surface (not deep). I don't think it is anything to worry about. If your that concerned about it, use some marking paint and keep an eye on it to see if it gets longer or wider. I work construction and see bigger cracks than that in new homes.
It's a 17 year old house. That's what my dad thought when I sent him the picture. As you said....I've seen cracks bigger than that in plenty of the houses in the area. It's just something different to notice a crack for the first time in your place.

Quick Reply: Foundation crack (vertical)...earthquake?