6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

dead throttle/unresponsive accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:06 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try spending a day or two driving in M transmission mode. I find it to be much more responsive in regards to your driveability concerns.

I almost always drive in M. I hate the factory shift points and the delay when coming to a near stop and then wanting to go again. I really hate running the motor up to 3000 rpm for normal easy driving and I hate that it always jumps to 6th gear when I'm in town cruising at 45mph. Drives me nuts.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi everyone,

If you're experiencing this concern, your next best step is going to your dealership so they can inspect. Once you have a diagnosis, feel free to PM me your info and I'll do what I can to help. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 01-24-2014, 04:30 PM
jxcasey
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been to the dealer several times formally and have talked with the diesel mechanics in several dealerships informally at least a half dozen times. As of last month, no one reported a solution to the problem.

I also contacted the Ford watcher of this web site a couple of times and each time there was nothing the dealer could do. So, I keep checking with
people on this web site and I keep hoping someone has found the solution.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:08 PM
DCinVA
New User
Update:

I took my truck to the dealer on Wed 1/22, they called on Thursday 1/23 and said they could not find anything wrong, no codes. I ask them to drive it for a few days and hopefully they would experience the issue. Well, they called today 1/27 and said the truck runs flawlessly and it is ready to be picked up. I do have to agree, it runs flawlessly 99% of the time. Its just that 1% that scares the cr@p out of me. I am not sure how to proceed with the dealer. They cant find anything wrong, and don't want to just start replacing parts. I cant really blame them, but it does put me in a really bad situation. On the other hand they have given me a really nice Fusion to drive, and it goes much better in the snow than the 2WD Super Duty.

I will send the details to Crystal and perhaps we can get this resolved.

Dave

Last edited by DCinVA; 01-27-2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2014, 03:24 PM
DCinVA
New User
Well....

It looks like since I am new to this forum, only been here 4 days, and only have 4 posts, I am not allowed to send PM's to Crystal. This is probably a policy put in place to minimize spam, and is likely needed or they would not do it. In the mean time I guess I will look up Crystal and see if I can contact her some other way.

Dave

Old 01-27-2014, 04:14 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
a few more posted and then you can PM.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:50 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If y'all don't try driving in "M" to see if the preoblem you describe is any different or the same, you're simply choosing to ignore the problem and expect ford to rewrite the TCM algorithms to suit your driving preference.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 AM
DCinVA
New User
I spoke with Ford Service using the phone number provided. They created a high priority ticket, and are forwarding that to a regional service rep. In the mean time the truck is still at the dealer. I will call them to make them aware of the ticket. In terms of driving in Manual mode, I am happy to whatever it takes to help determine and fix the issue. Hopefully ford and my dealer can figure this out and make the truck safe to drive.

Dave

Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DCinVA
I spoke with Ford Service using the phone number provided. They created a high priority ticket, and are forwarding that to a regional service rep. In the mean time the truck is still at the dealer. I will call them to make them aware of the ticket. In terms of driving in Manual mode, I am happy to whatever it takes to help determine and fix the issue. Hopefully ford and my dealer can figure this out and make the truck safe to drive.

Dave
I'm glad to hear that things are headed in the right direction, Dave. Once you have PM privileges, feel free to contact me directly if you need additional help.

Crystal

Old 01-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
If y'all don't try driving in "M" to see if the preoblem you describe is any different or the same, you're simply choosing to ignore the problem and expect ford to rewrite the TCM algorithms to suit your driving preference.
That's an interesting thought. What differences are we looking for to help diagnose the problem of bad solenoids or programming or other? I have done it a few times since I read your post and it shifts a little better but the throttle still dips and then resumes without moving it "dead spot".

Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Romeo Scorpion
Senior User
I can get mine to do it consistently. While rolling at slow speed during a left or right turn, or while going through a round-about at low speed, I start to push the accelerator off of idle, then touch the brake a little. With the braking force almost imperceptible (not unlike what you'd expect from just resting your foot on the brake pedal or touching it with your left foot) I continue to hold the brake AND then depress the accelerator just a bit more. Next I take my foot off the brake, then press the accelerator further to make it go. It won't respond. In fact it feels like it slowed a bit as I depressed it. It takes about 3 seconds for it to recover.

Odd behavior I'll admit, but still not unlike my 2007 Jeep GC diesel.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not talking about making it defuel by touching the brake, it's a topic that has been discussed before. These trucks are programmed to do that when the brake is lightly touched, but you can be at a stop and get it to power brake and light up the tires. I'm talking about shift flares and dead, unresponsive, unpredictable throttle when my foot is nowhere near the brake.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Romeo Scorpion
I can get mine to do it consistently. While rolling at slow speed during a left or right turn, or while going through a round-about at low speed, I start to push the accelerator off of idle, then touch the brake a little. With the braking force almost imperceptible (not unlike what you'd expect from just resting your foot on the brake pedal or touching it with your left foot) I continue to hold the brake AND then depress the accelerator just a bit more. Next I take my foot off the brake, then press the accelerator further to make it go. It won't respond. In fact it feels like it slowed a bit as I depressed it. It takes about 3 seconds for it to recover.

Odd behavior I'll admit, but still not unlike my 2007 Jeep GC diesel.
What your describing is the truck as it's performed. I don't know maybe i'm missing something. I will try what your saying with my truck tomorrow.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Romeo Scorpion
Senior User
Originally Posted by 7.399
I'm not talking about making it defuel by touching the brake, it's a topic that has been discussed before. These trucks are programmed to do that when the brake is lightly touched, but you can be at a stop and get it to power brake and light up the tires. I'm talking about shift flares and dead, unresponsive, unpredictable throttle when my foot is nowhere near the brake.
Shift flares? What you're describing is nothing like what the OP had described. Quote below:

"1. Suppose I come to a dead stop or a rolling stop and I continue keeping a small or very small amount of pressure on the accelerator. When I try to start again gently, there are two outcomes: (a) the "hesitation" or "no or dead throttle response," when I had added only a small amount of pressure, or (b) a "lurch" when I add more pressure to counter act the hesitation!

2. On the other hand, if I come to a stop or a partial/rolling stop, and remove all pressure from the accelerator before I start again, it seems I can start from a stop normally, both gently and under control......"

Certainly sounds like what I described.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:56 AM
DCinVA
New User
My issue is simple. At a stop, or rolling slowly, foot off the brake, push the go-pedal, no response (no-go). It acts like a bad connection between the pedal and the throttle body. I recognize that there is some complex electro magic in these trucks controlling the brakes, transmission, and engine and probably some other things, but one would think that in the simple situation I described above, there would be no need for any electro magic to prevent the throttle from opening.

Update:
Dealer called Wed 1/29 and said they were unable to find an issue, and I needed to return the loaner car, and pick up the truck. They gave me the impression that they did nothing, but I do feel that the truck drives a bit differently, throttle response and shift points have changed noticeably. I would hope that at a minimum they would have reflashed with the latest update, but the service rep said nothing about that.
In terms of my call to Ford Service on 1/28, they said I would hear from them within 2 days, but so far as of 1/31, nothing from them.

The lesson I have learned here is that when this happens (no-go from a dead stop), it is important not to continue pushing deeper into the throttle. If you do you will end up lurching forward (or backward) when it finally decides to go. The proper way to deal with this situation is to back off the pedal, re-evaluate if it is safe to proceed, and try again. I did have one situation where I was stopped at a 2 way stop sign, pulled out into the intersection and the throttle went dead with oncoming traffic bearing down on me. I really don't have safe way to deal with this situation, it is just flat out dangerous.

I will keep you posted if anything happens.

Quick Reply: dead throttle/unresponsive accelerator