1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Programming PATS key with AutoEnginuity

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:56 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Programming PATS key with AutoEnginuity

I'm trying to help a friend with a 2002 Ford F-150 program a second PATS key. I have AutoEnginuity with the Ford bundle. I know it's supposed to work but I'm not getting anywhere. I did do a lot of searching on PATS but I didn't really find anything that helped me.

First of all, we bought a key and had it physically cut. It looks just like the key he has. I did find a chart in this forum that indicated that the were different key types, but it didn't even list a 2002 F-150, so I can't even be positive I have the right key.

This is the key I bought.

Ford OEM PATS Transponder Chip Key Blank * IN STOCK * | eBay

I put the new key in the ignition, turned it on and connected with AE. I had it read the VIN number from the truck and it indicated it was a 2002 F-150. I selected Enhanced Powertrain, then went to system tests and found PATS key programming. The first attachment below is the menu I got.

I started with "Enable Customer Spare Programming". It had me wait 10 minutes then gave me the following error you see in the second attachment.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong here?

Thanks,

Attached Images   
Old 08-27-2011, 02:32 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 872 Likes on 724 Posts
This is one of those times where you'll probably have to contact AE.

"Customer spare" programming shouldn't require an AE. Have you tried the first or fourth option since you don't have two programmed keys?

Old 05-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Locksmith1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any luck with those errors you were getting from AE ? Im having the same problem !

Old 05-19-2012, 06:15 PM
mudslinger02
New User
I have AE and tried for several days to get it to program a second key on my 03 F-150. I made multiple phone calls and sent many e-mails only to have them tell me their "program" is perfect and there is something wrong with my truck. I spent 15 minutes at the dealership and they had my key programmed with no problems. AE is full of ***** and their program apparently CAN NOT program a second key.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Locksmith1
Junior User
I'm a locksmith, we have a machine that will do pats keys... I'm going to get it now and that will tell me if it's the truck or computer/software ! Keep u updated be back in an hour

Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Locksmith1
Junior User
Here is my issue, I really dont need the pats to work. But, if that doesn't work .. What else doesn't work and I paid for the tool, I want it to do what it says... I've created a log file and send it to AE ... We will see

Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 PM
mudslinger02
New User
So far, that's the only thing I've found that doesn't work. I've used it quite a bit and for the price its a great tool. Just pisses me off that they wont admit there is something wrong with the software.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Locksmith1
Junior User
Well you are right, I programmed the key with the Silca TKO transponder machine and it gained the safety access at 541 seconds, connected and confirmed key was programmed. Its in the truck outside now, Im deleting all the keys from the truck and then ill try to add the 3rd key with the AE. Last time i was attempting to add the 4th key.... it fail and the TKO did it. If they deny there is anything wrong, Ill send them the video of the AE failing and the TKO succeeding.... it cant be the truck now. But in all honesty, if it does not do all of what it promises... its useless to me. I would love to have another machine that could program PATS. Id keep one in the my truck and the other would stay the shop...id would have started carrying the PATS blanks in the truck with the AE.. Anyone know the return policy ? Might start looking deeper into the NGS..

Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Locksmith1
Junior User
Message send to support @ AE...

Still wont prpgram PATS keys... I am a locksmith and I borrowed the machine from my employer its a Silca TKO. I tried using it to verify the issue was not the truck,, and the TKO machine programmed the PATS key without issue. It obtained security access at 541 sec... I have a video of the AE failing with error msgs and the TKO succeeding... Need your help, If it doesnt program Pats keys it is completely useless to me. Your fast responce is appreated

Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Locksmith1
Junior User
They wont like me, if they dont respond. Ill be the guy thats too polite and will haunt them until they fix this issue...

All keys are now deleted.. Im going to try to add with the AE, Keep you posted..

Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Farmerscot
New User
I'm having the same problem this morning with my AE on an 04 F150. I'm interested in what AE responds with.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:51 PM
mudslinger02
New User
This is the first e-mail I sent them

"I only have 1 key for my truck and I am trying
to program a second key. I have called and talked to 2 different people with
no help. I keep getting an error saying the vehicle denied security access"

And this is their response

"That is an issue with your vehicle, not the scantool. You need to determine
what is wrong in the vehicle and correct the issue. The PATS Add/Remove
keys function is extremely well tested and error free.

Consult your service information to help determine the issue."

Great customer support

Keep us updated with what you find out

Old 05-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Locksmith1
Junior User
I will keep you posted. I have a video of the TKO succussfu/lly programming the Keys.. I will make a video today of the AE failing and send them both to them. I will advise you on each step of my progress.

From the information I obtained from my job, there are 3 versions of the PATS system. I will cross referance my truck ( excursion ) with your truck and others that I can find to see if AE is having a problem with only 1 version of PATS or more than 1... From what I have read my searchng on the internet, Mustang forums, truck forums ect... Sometimes AE works and Sometimes it doesnt. I would like to be able to determine if it is the Differant PATS / versions of AE that is causing the problems.

I dont have any problem in informing AE of the PATS issue (s) or even experamenting on my own to assist them in correcting the problems. But, from what I can gather by some of the posts I have read on differant Ford / Lincoln / Mercury forums there is a problem and AE is turning a blind eye to it. Well, I will send them my videos to show it is not the vehicle and should they be unwilling to accept the fact that there are issues / not be willing to correct the situation, I willl threaten to post these videos of AE not doing what is promises on differant web sites ( youtube ect ).

Now that I thonk of it.. Today, I am going to make 1 video of step by step fail / Suceed with the machines on my HD camcorder and use that instead.

Anyone interested in seeing the video, Post your email address and I will fwd you the video.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Locksmith1
Junior User
Just from here I see AE problem with PATS on 04 F150 - 02 F150 - 03 F150 - 01 Excursion

Anyone else ? More Vehicles ? Please add to my list

Old 05-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Locksmith1
Junior User
By the way, If anyone needs PATS keys, Let me know. I have access to all of them and as many as you need. If you need them cut I can do that if you can provide your key code ( 4 numbers and ends with X ) and maybe someday you can program them with your AE...

Thanks for the additional info

Quick Reply: Programming PATS key with AutoEnginuity